-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every crop grown around here is irrigated from deep wells, so multiple truckloads of hay have been going out out of here every day for several months. There are still a couple of big cornfields just south of town, and they're looking good--as usual.

Had a good rain last night--a little early--but if it keeps coming our perennial grasses should get an early start on their growing season.

With a little meteorological luck, we could be looking at a really good year. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here in interior Alaska the barley and hay crops look very good. Rain has been adequate
and it's hot as hell......90F yesterday. Barley harvest should be well along by waterfowl
opening on 9/1 [cranes and geese].

One neighbor has had some success with wheat as our growing season has expanded.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Corn here in my section of N. Illinois is barely calf-high. Usually up to the waist or beyond by now. Many, many acres of standing water until a month ago.Recent hot days and very warm nights should give them quite a boost.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My area here south of Chicago was largely untilled, unplanted until recently. It was looking so bleak I posted a thread a while back asking if we could be looking at a famine.

On Tuesdays I travel south to the rifle range. Up until last Tuesday the majority of the fields were untouched. Last Tuesday there was still a lot of planting activity, which seems pretty late - especially with the cooler temperatures and early winters we've had for the last couple of years. Some corn was finally up - ankle high. There was still a high percentage of untouched fields and drowned areas in those that had gotten planted closer to the usual time.

I'm glad these conditions aren't more widespread because my Tuesday drives are pretty unsettling.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably 75% planted now over the last couple weeks. The corn that has been planted is maybe ankle high. Haven’t seen any bean fields. Sugar beets look awful. Wheat looks good though.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The cotton crop has jumped with the warm temps and is about 12 in.high.

A week ago it was about 4 inches tall.

If we keep getting the heat units it should be able to go 3 bales to the acre.
That's not bad for high plains cotton.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In South East Missouri there are thousands upon thousands of acres still un-planted

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Northern Maine's potatoes are about 3 weeks behind normal all this rain is really raising hell with the hay crop too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We raise hell in Tn

Looks like another good year

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Crops seeded later do not necessarily end up later. Warm soils and temps make a big difference. I have had later seeded wheat and canola pass up early seeded crops. The canola that I saw this the most on was seeded 2 weeks later than the early crop. Was swathed and seeded earlier. It was same variety and same fertilizer applied. Ed k

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Corn here is about 6” tall.....barely sprouted but i have been through 3 wild land fires in the eastern Washington sagebrush country so far this early fire season.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
our hay in ne Georgia is pretty good. it started out a drought year of all things.

but rain came, some did anyways.

corn & gardens are good.

peaches are Great!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Driving up US-41 yesterday I saw corn barely out of the ground a few inches to anywhere from knee to no more than 5' - 6' tall. A friend that lives and farms a lot of ground in southern Illinois said they are having a very rough crop year over there.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Crops are about two weeks behind in western Colorado. We should make some money this year, funny thing about farming, somewhere else has to have a disaster for prices to go up.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Planting got done this past week across the corn belt except Ohio. That is about as late of a finish as we have ever had. It all depends on the summer growing and fall harvest seasons now, but overall USA yield is almost guaranteed to be down over historic figures.

Official USDA corn planting map

And a little discussion of the corn and soybean yield potential and needs for the rest of the year based around Illinois.
Successful Farming's take on Illinois yield potential

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
No till crops were put in about normal. Tillage is in late. Either way, with this much rain the early crops look real good to me, and the late planted crops are holding their own. The big picture may say the acres planted are down, but i think the yield will close a lot of that gap. May still be down, but I'm dont think the sky is falling.

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

Driving up US-41 yesterday I saw corn barely out of the ground a few inches to anywhere from knee to no more than 5' - 6' tall. A friend that lives and farms a lot of ground in southern Illinois said they are having a very rough crop year over there.

I was up at Owensboro last week, and that's not in the general vicinity of 41, which goes through Henderson, and the corn was a lot bigger than that. You must have been close to some of the bottoms that had been under water, and the corn got a late start.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GunReader
My area here south of Chicago was largely untilled, unplanted until recently. It was looking so bleak I posted a thread a while back asking if we could be looking at a famine.

On Tuesdays I travel south to the rifle range. Up until last Tuesday the majority of the fields were untouched. Last Tuesday there was still a lot of planting activity, which seems pretty late - especially with the cooler temperatures and early winters we've had for the last couple of years. Some corn was finally up - ankle high. There was still a high percentage of untouched fields and drowned areas in those that had gotten planted closer to the usual time.

I'm glad these conditions aren't more widespread because my Tuesday drives are pretty unsettling.

I am 75 miles southeast of GunReader. There is a swath 50 miles wide that doesn’t look horrible but north and south of us is something we’ve never seen before , lots of corn and beans a few inches tall and looks like hell. Lots of farms that didn’t get planted at all. It’s sickening to see. It has been death on all the little communities around us who depend on farmers and their spending . It is understandably nonexistent .

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Corn planting seemed little late this year here in south central Wisconsin but it looks normal now to me but I’m not a farmer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of Cotton fields didn’t get planted because of too much rain in this area. Wettest fall and spring on record for many many years
Wheat looked great this year. Most of it harvested already.

Hayfields look fantastic!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/30/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,412
Posts18,489,030
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.