Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They recommend against camelbacks due to freezing temps at altitude (19,341 Feet). And freezing in the drink lines.

How do we insulate our reservoirs against freezing?

Alternative is taking many Nalgene bottles.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There are insulated drink hoses. I have never had one freeze yet.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Forget hydration bladders in below freezing... use a water bottle with insulated cover..

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
They work just fine in below freezing weather. Water bottles are a pain in the ass. I snowboard all winter with a bladder, Ice Climb with a bladder, and predator hunt all winter with a bladder. The Bladder is against your back (which creates heat) and is surrounded by the your clothes inside the pack, all of which is a hell of a lot more insulation than an insulated cover!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry, but my experience is the reverse... it's much easier to get a wide-mouthed bottle to cooperate than a 1/4" line...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Forget hydration bladders in below freezing... use a water bottle with insulated cover..

Which cover do you recommend?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I did Kilimanjaro in 96. Just bought a bunch of water bottles

Don’t remember any freezing issues. Just pace yourself

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bladders don't work in below freezing! Really? It was so hard keeping my hose from freezing.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Which cover do you recommend?

OR makes a good one.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
DW-

I have used a Camelbac in winter here down to 10-15 degrees several times. Worked fine for me except for the hose freezing up occasionally. I replaced the hose with one covered with the neoprene that CB sells, but it would still freeze up after drinking. I discovered that if I tipped the hose up and then open the bitevalve it would drain it back into the bladder. I haven't had it freeze since.
Never have had my bladder freeze. Would think it depends on how extreme the temps will run.
I do agree with Brad that for sustained temps at that level, I suspect the bottles might be safer bet if you are( as I assume you would be) staying out in a tent and not returning to a "warm" camper at night so everything can warm back up.
Good luck on your "hike". Sounds awesome.
Joe

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MCH, summer time on a snow field is not the same as sustained single digit and colder temps... nice try tho smile

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
MCH, summer time on a snow field is not the same as sustained single digit and colder temps... nice try tho smile

Summer? Ice Field? Wrong and wrong! March High Tatras Gerlach has no ice fields. Temp that day was 20, last time I checked freezing was 32.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
20 Celsius? 😃

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am sorry that clearing a hose is so hard of a skill for you to acquire. I have been running bladders for years never a problem.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Summer? Ice Field? Wrong and wrong! March High Tatras Gerlach has no ice fields. Temp that day was 20, last time I checked freezing was 32.

You were sleeping in a Hut, right?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No I was home that night sleeping in my bed!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lol, sounds right.

I know of no one that uses bladders in sustained, real cold. Too problematic. Not sure about Kilimanjaro, never been. Doesn’t sound very severe so they might be fine. I’ll defer to your “hose clearing” experience in this case. I just know in sustained single digits and lower they’re useless, and that’s not a guess. smile

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Lol, sounds right.

I know of no one that uses bladders in sustained, real cold. Too problematic. Not sure about Kilimanjaro, never been. Doesn’t sound very severe so they might be fine. I’ll defer to your “hose clearing” experience in this case. I just know in sustained single digits and lower they’re useless, and that’s not a guess. smile

That is funny I use them all the time in single digit's and plenty of overnights. No problems. I ain't guessing either. Sorry a simple bladder is so hard to figure out for you.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

But your knowledge sure did shine with this one!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So out overnight and below zero you have no issues with the hose freezing?

I’m genuinely curious because I quit them some years ago for this very reason. But if there’s better technology currently I’ll defer to your experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,095
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.