-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my first scope in 1962.....a Weaver K-6.....I still have it.

Not a lot of selection in fixed power.....and variables normally cost less.....and yup.....my variables are set to 6X and never get changed.....It's just the way it works for me.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
To be honest, most of my rifles have 3x9X variables mounted, one has a 2x7. A couple have a 3X with post and crosshair. Strange thing, I have a 4X Leupold that when I aimed it at my target which is a 2.5" black square with a one inch white center, it seems smaller than when sighting at it with either the 3X scopes or the variables set at 3X. confused One thing I've noticed is when sighting in or just shooting from the bench for fun the scopes are set at 9X but on the hunt are set at 3X. My last six elk were all shot with the scope at 3X. Come to think of it, my antelope I took in 2009 was also shot at 3X. I'm still trying to figure out the deal of that 4x. Guess I could send it back for a tune up and checking out the actual power. I'm also trying to figure out why it came with a colored lens. (yellow)???
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
obviously you guys don’t have a creedmore!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
R
RCL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I like the weight and simplicity of the fixed power scopes. Mostly use 4 and 6x.
Have several variables, but after sighting in they generally stay on 4 or 6.
Most of my shooting is done at 400 yards and under.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do have 2 or 3 rifles that have variable scopes on from the day i got them.

But they lend themselves to shooting paper and dog towns.

The highest power is 24X.

Most are 12X with them being ones that folks have given me.

They have their place.

Just remembered that i have an EOTECH as well.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A creedmoor?

I believe we are seeing an example of what the industry is selling.
Somehow a "creedmoor" is in need of a scope with gizmos and high power?

The truth is that a .264" diameter bullet in the chamber of the creedmoor is still .264" in diameter on the firing line, and it's exactly the same diameter at 1500 yards. It doesn't somehow grow as it travels towards the target. . The target at 1500 yards is NOT any bigger if you make it look bigger,--------------- and if you were standing 15 yards from it it would be the exact same size.
See......scopes don't shoot.
The Emperor is truly naked, but thousands believe they can see his pretty new cloths.

I shoot to some long ranges for the fun of it. 1000 and 1200 are ranges I like to fire at, because I can be to a place to do it in only 20 minutes, and I can shoot to 600 by walking out my front door. Shocking as it may be, I fire at targets out to past 1000 yards with my scopes on the rifles I hunt with mostly set on low powers. Not always. I sometimes dial them up to 9X, but I like to shoot with them set the way I actually carry them most times
Note, I do pretty well as far as rounds fired to hits made. But I DO NOT fire at game past 550. Why?
Because I have never seen a real need to do it in over 1/2 century of hunting at any game that was not wounded and getting away.

But if I owned a creedmoor I would have a fixed 4X or maybe a fixed 6X on it.

I am not much of a "gear-queer" and I like simply hunting sights for my hunting rifles. I have not shot competition in about 15 years now, so I have no desire for a high powered wizz-bang bells and whistles scope. I don't begrudge anyone using them. Have at it if you like them.
But for me I like fixed lower power scopes.

That's the reply to the OPs question and that is my answer, speaking only for myself.

No amount of magnification will make the gun stand "stiller" for the shooter. It's all about the skill of holding and squeezing, not making a target look bigger. The target and the bullets don't grow, no matter what scope you buy.

Last edited by szihn; 07/03/19.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sure, they are as useful as they always were....but there really isn't a reason to pick a fixed over a variable, other than simple personal preference. A fixed power scope doesn't magically make you a better hunter, or somehow wiser...

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like 4 to 12’s, but I shoot at game most of the time on 4x. I would say yes they are very useful, especially if you hunt in the woods.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
On semi to hard kickers, I lean toward fixed power. For the ranges I'm going to hunt, 6X is more then adequate(100-200 yards). My rifles with variables are never adjusted beyond 6x except at the range. I definitely like variables, but fixed powers are a solid part of my arsenal.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Whelenman

Correct.
wink and a few of us don't have the itch to shoot across zip codes.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Whelenman

Originally Posted by szihn
A creedmoor?.............

Amazingly, a creedmoor can still make an outdated 6x42 work. The creedmoor can really make things happen...no telling if this scope would have worked if it was mounted on a rifle chambered in anything besides the creedmoor.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by cra1948
A better title for this thread might be, "Are variable scopes really necessary on a hunting rifle?"

My answer would be "define <necessary>".

Technically, no, but very very useful. It is not possible to achieve the level of accuracy I demand for load work-up with a low magnification fixed power scope. Since I tinker with loads off and on year around through the life of a gun, the only viable alternative to a variable is 2 fixed magnification scopes (one low power hunting scope and a 10x or more powerful range scope) with a lot of re-sight-in required as I swap back and forth between the "range" scope and the "hunting" scope.

The pluses of a variable might not be important to someone with low accuracy standards or someone who works up one load and uses it for the life of the gun, but neither describes me.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My Remington 700 Classic in 35 Whelen wears a fixed 4x and my Winchester Super Grade Lightweight in 7x57 wears a fixed 6x. Both Leupolds. No issues for me.....

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
All my bolt actions have 4X scopes mostly Leupolds. I have one old K-4 on my Remington 720. They are not actually contemporaries, but they look right together, and the K-4 is best Weaver scope I've ever messed with and that is a bunch.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For the last 35+ years where I hunt is not range challenging, unless you count close as a challenge. My longest shot on a deer was 125 yards measured. Nothing that couldn't be handled with peeps or even irons given enough light. That is my way of saying I don't have any perspective about what works at long range in the field. I have shot the M16 and M14 at 300 meters and managed to hit the target sufficiently well to be labeled a sharpshooter with the -14 and expert with the -16.

So I don't need a celestial observatory to hit stuff out to practical ranges, nor do I need to twiddle knobs. (No widecracks necessary)

[Linked Image]
A 2.5X Leupold M8 Compact sits on that thing and it can do this if I pay attention...these are 5 shot groups BTW

[Linked Image]

I did cheat a little with the .22 LR barrel though and put a Weaver K3 that began life in El Paso.

[Linked Image]

Perhaps the most telling example though is what happened some years ago whilst checking zero for the .44 Mag that had a Millett SP1 red dot sight.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I adjusted the knobs a little after that and jerked the trigger once on a trip to Mississippi.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have far more fixed power scopes than variables. Several Leupold 3x and 4x, several Weaver 1x, 1.5x, 2.5x and 3x. A couple of Leupold 7.5 X, a Redfield 2 3/4x PCH, a Redfield 12X and a Weaver T36x. I also just picked up an odd one, a Burris 6x with a PCH reticle. I'm going to put it on the mini 14 when I get it back from Accuracy Systems. I'm not sure but I have an idea the combination of the Accuracy Systems mini 14 in 6x45 and the Burris PCH scope will make a good coyote calling rifle.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have an older 4X Leupold on my Savage 99 in (gasp) .243. If I can see it in the woods I can kill it. Many would say I need at least a 3x9x42 to even start hunting with a .243, but the variable scopes I had didn't work well on my 99. The eye relief was just wrong for me. I stuck a 4X on it just to see how the eye relief would be, and it stayed there. I don't feel a bit "under scoped" in the dense woods I hunt. I don't need to be able to see Alpha Centauri in the Kentucky hardwoods and saw briars.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I just went through the list of my cartridge rifles, and the break-down is this:

31% have fixed-power scopes, from 2.5x to 10x, with 4x most common and 6x next.

15% have "iron" sights, which even at my advanced age I still shoot game with now and then.

The other 49% have variables, but about 2/3 are on what most people would consider varmint rifles. Many of the variables get set on the top magnification, from 7x to 10x, and never get changed. Partly this is because there are far more variable than fixed-power scopes available today, so it's a lot easier to buy a variable with the features you want, including reticle. Most of today's variables are also just as reliable (if not more so) than fixed scopes were back when I started using them on hunting rifles 50 years ago.

One of the things I've learned over the decades is that magnification over 6x isn't a big handicap for most big game hunting, partly because field of view has improved in most scopes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
You must have learned how to shoot without zooming in. That skill is lost.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Almost every scope on my hunting rifles are 6X. My few variables are usually set on 6X.

I cant think of a time over the last 62 years that I wished I would have had a variable. Of course my Varmint rifles have variables.

Ken

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (alwaysoutdoors, 35, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,414
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.