Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
ADDENDUM

I killed 2 bucks last season. IF I'd taken the time to use binos, I wouldn't have gotten a shot PERIOD>

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Shot my buck last season with a Lyman .2.5 mounted on a 30-06. If a guy is hunting brush and timber and doing off hand shooting then 4 x might even be too much...I remember those magazine articals when I was a kid pushing those high powered scopes hunting the west ...I bought into it full bore...I have since learned my lesson...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by T_Inman
[quote=jwall]

Well..... TRY to find a 3 rd point on one side of this 6 pt, 178 lb. buck with 17 1/2" INSIDE spread WITH a fixed 4 or 6 power AT 300 PLUS yds.

Jerry, do you carry binos? Just curious.

Yes, 8 X 20........... not as effective and more bulk and weight to tote.

That uses MORE time when you already have 12 X available.

Just asking 'cause you mentioned that you looked at that buck through your 12X scope for several minutes before knowing it had a third point. That's enough time to get a spotting scope out and set it up, let alone raise binos. Probably more movement than you'd get away with, but time wise, with this buck it sounds like you'd of been fine with a good pair of binos.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't hunted the east since I was stationed in North Carolina, but in the thicker parts of the west I use binos as much as I do in the open country. A quality pair of 8X binos helps more than most think in the dark timber or even the thick repod. You'd probably think I was just getting a great look at trees 20 yards away if you saw me, but I often am focused past the closest screen of trees, and finding antler tips or ears twitching.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but ditch the 8x20s and get some quality 8X42 or something of the like, put them in a quality bino harness and give them a try next season. I am sure there are times you won't get away with the movement it takes to use them and then raise your rifle, but I'll bet there's also times you could get away with that movement, if you're slow enough and the deer doesn't know you're there. I think if you got used to using them, they'll change how you hunt.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Just asking 'cause you mentioned that you looked at that buck through your 12X scope for several minutes before knowing it had a third point. That's enough time to get a spotting scope out and set it up, let alone raise binos. Probably more movement than you'd get away with, but time wise, with this buck it sounds like you'd of been fine with a good pair of binos.

First:

That was ONE of very few times I've had that kind of time.

Second:

Why would I opt to use 8 X 20 binos WHEN I had 12 X on the rifle ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Binos generally give more detail and resolution than a riflescope of equal quality, even if the scope has more magnification. Looking through both eyes vs one makes this difference even more pronounced. Maybe it just does to me, I dunno.

Ditch the 8x20s. Get some good 8x42s, or something similar.

Last edited by T_Inman; 07/04/19. Reason: Deleted unimportant info

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

First:

That was ONE of very few times I've had that kind of time.

Second:

Why would I opt to use 8 X 20 binos WHEN I had 12 X on the rifle ?

Jerry

Ringman's sock puppet. Or brother. Whichever.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
because my eyes don`t see as well anymore i use 10x42 binoculars and my Ruger #1 is a 257 Weatherby Mag. with a 4.5x14 Nightforce scope . when you don`t see well bigger is better and a low recoil rifle that will knock a decent buck down too helps,out to 500 - 600 yards and with a bi-pod.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
6X fixed. I really prefer fixed power scopes.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Today is the 4th of July.

Everyone has the FREEDOM to hunt with what they want. And I do too.

Jerry

EDIT >> DONE .... Tin

Last edited by jwall; 07/04/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Jerry

EDIT >> DONE .... Tin

You most certainly do have that FREEDOM, a freedom that some would deny to us all.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The freedom to own firearms and hunt appears to be getting slowly eroded away.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Jerry

EDIT >> DONE .... Tin

Yes sir. Everyone has different preferences. Hunt with what you prefer on the power you prefer and enjoy it.

I would make the same recommendation as T_Inman on good bino's though. There's no downside to being able to see with both eyes in a pair of bino's with decent sized exit pupils. If you want to use the scope once you find game that's all good. Good bino's will help you find more game, with less movement, from a better viewing position (eye's and body), and without pointing a rifle at everything. I think you appreciate good glass in scopes. Regardless of how good the glass in a pair of 8x20's are, the ease of view with a quality 7/8/10x42 (or even 32) is a different ballgame.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just posted this under another thread asking the same question. I love my Meopta MeoPro on my Browning BLR .308. Great glass and easy to get on target quickly and make an accurate shot. The MeoPro 4x42 has excellent FOV and light transmission, if you are in the market for fixed 6X, definitely take a look at this optic.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13950724#Post13950724

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I just went through the list of my cartridge rifles, and the break-down is this:

31% have fixed-power scopes, from 2.5x to 10x, with 4x most common and 6x next.

15% have "iron" sights, which even at my advanced age I still shoot game with now and then.

The other 49% have variables, but about 2/3 are on what most people would consider varmint rifles. Many of the variables get set on the top magnification, from 7x to 10x, and never get changed. Partly this is because there are far more variable than fixed-power scopes available today, so it's a lot easier to buy a variable with the features you want, including reticle. Most of today's variables are also just as reliable (if not more so) than fixed scopes were back when I started using them on hunting rifles 50 years ago.

One of the things I've learned over the decades is that magnification over 6x isn't a big handicap for most big game hunting, partly because field of view has improved in most scopes.

What about the missing 5%?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just added a vintage Redfeld 6X (that I had fully resurrected) to my CZ .22 rimfire rifle. It's about as good as one can get to the ideal scope for that gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Leupold FX-II 4x on my primary hunting rifle. I can't think of anything I could possibly gain by putting a variable on it for what I use it for.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I have a Leupold FX-II 4x on my primary hunting rifle. I can't think of anything I could possibly gain by putting a variable on it

*** for what I use it for***.

And THAT is what matters. + 2

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
MCH,

The "missing 5%" is due to rifles that, for whatever reason, don't have scopes on 'em at the moment.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No!

You must have a scope with the objective lens bigger than a lard bucket!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (160user, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,495 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,425
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.