Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 49 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 48 49
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
w1--GFY

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Day 10: 80 miles 515 total.

Rolled out of Seminole about 10:30, gotta be at the bike shop in Amarillo (198 miles) on Saturday was looking to make time. Part way along I learn that a good friend, one of the very people I’m headed to visit in Montana was STILL at Texs Tech 😎

So that became my destination for tonight, tho I gotta say the last seven miles thru Lubbock was tough. The wildlife preserves full of prairie dogs and herds of jackrabbits were interesting tho, details to follo.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Coolio.

Enjoy your resting place tonight.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pal
w1--GFY

I didn’t handle your input particularly well, prob’ly the saddle was impinging my schlong vein.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Advice needed, opinions requested.

OK, my degree of bicycle studlyness has already been demonstrated, I rode my bike to New Mexico. Enough people are impressed, I have a story to tell the kids when school opens up.

The guy up in Great Falls Montana where I am headed was the best man at my wedding, we are like family. I wasn’t originally planning to ride to Lubbock, I didn’t know his wife would still be here. But she is ( finishing up a six-week course).

She will be done Saturday morning, we both could be in Great Falls Sunday morning July 7th, I would have 30 days left to start over and do a 1,000 - 2,000 mile loop (depending on terrain and my ability to traverse it).based out of Great Falls,

So I gotta decide....

a) Stay the present course to be able to say “Ya, I rode my bike all the way to fuggin’ Yellowstone.”

Or.....

b) Help my friend’s wife on the thousand-mile drive home, be in Great Falls Sunday, start over.

My friend’s wife would much prefer I help her drive back.

IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Advice needed, opinions requested..I gotta decide....

a) Stay the present course...

Or.....

b) Help my friend’s wife...

When the going gets tough the tough don't make excuses that they have to give up so they can help a friend's wife. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hell, you're free, white and 21--do whatever you want to do. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Birdwatcher, you're 8 years older than you were when you made your first long distance bicycle trip and 3 years older than your last.

You also mentioned in and earlier post that you hadn't prepared in advance for this trip as well as you had the previous two.

From following your comments on this thread compared to those of your two previous trips, to me you aren't sounding nearly as upbeat and confident as you were on the past trips and especially not this early on in the trip.

Just my view as an outsider looking in and not meant to be a criticism nor judgemental.

Best of luck and health what ever you decide to do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mudhen
Hell, you're free, white and 21--do whatever you want to do. grin

This!

You have done more this summer than a 100 of us combined will... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pal

Or.....

When the going gets tough the tough don't make excuses that they have to give up so they can help a friend's wife. smile

Dude, I found Mittens.

You can stop looking now....

Please advise on the best way to return her to you.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Chivalry should rule the day. I know it's old fashioned, but your good friend's wife needs help and that's a long drive for a lady on her own. You can complete your trip on the return and no one will think less of you for it...at least no one who matters.

Good luck and following winds, whichever you decide.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yeah, if a friend really needed my help that would take priority.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter

^^^
This

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not really sure birdie, but I think the wind will blow from behind more often if'n you help the lady.

You get to Great Falls, have plenty of time to go for a long ride, and get to be a good Scout.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Yah, this whole set-up is such an unlikely coincidence that, in addition to the above consideration, Jesus clearly WANTS me to drive to Montana cool

Anyhoo.... I spent two nights in Seminole TX, which I thought going in was BFE if there ever was one, but came away impressed.

First off, I give this place two thumbs up, $50 per night, AC works, free wifi works, the hot water works really well, and these old places all still have bathtubs cool Cold adult beverages available at the gas station right across the street.

[Linked Image]

The Fire Department, where they clearly don't GAF if Betsy Ross offends you....

[Linked Image]

Same thing at the Post Office, also flying an MIA flag.....

[Linked Image]

Here's what I ditched and mailed home to myself. 1) Shirt that blends in, blending in ain't whats it about on these things. 2) Bear spray, how was I gonna know I would be in Montana in just a few days. 3) Knife (Mora}, already got a pretty good blade on my Leatherman. 3) Cone wrenches to adjust the wheel hubs, got a little buyers remorse about sending off those 4) Extra chainrings and the tools to switch 'em out. Chance of getting stranded by broke chainrings exceedingly remote, I only threw this stuff in on account of I replaced the chainrings right before I left. All that saved just three pounds.

[Linked Image]

Come back to the motel to check out and find this box turtle, in the middle of downtown, wanting to cross north across a busy four lane street.

[Linked Image]

No idea how it made it that far, I carried across the street to a big empty lot and it took off northbound like it was on a mission. Hope it makes it OK

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Driving with some other guy’s wife for 1,000 miles sounds like a super good idea.

Lightening the load on that bike sounds damn near impossible.

Mid to late morning starts make tons of sense.

Alcohol is a great idea. Add more.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by pal

Or.....

Dude, I found Mittens.

You can stop looking now....

Please advise on the best way to return her to you.

[Linked Image]

A flat rate envelope should work well for mailing it. (Pun intended)

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lotta jack rabbits and prairie dogs around T-Tech Campus.

Mike, if you get a chance to visit Tech’s Ranching Heritage Museum it’s definitely worth it.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you hitch a ride to Montana, at least you’ll be peddling downhill all the way home! 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Birdie,

While in Great Falls take time to go a few miles south to Ulm, MT and see the Ulm Pishkun, it has been renamed to the more politically correct First People Buffalo Jump State Park, it is one of the largest and oldest buffalo jumps in the country and is very interesting to see.
Google for some good info about it.

Also take time to see the Charlie Russell Museum in Great Falls, I think it will be very interesting given your interest in "old time" stuff.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 10 of 49 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,700
Posts18,494,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.