Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Tag

You're it? Do folks do this so they can find the thread again?

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Last year, during 1st season and that snow, a lot of elk were down in the aspens towards the end of that season.However, the ones up higher didn't not get pushed because hunters could not or would not spend the effort to get to them.

It is hard to figure out what the elk will be doing form one year to the next based on the weather.Where they were last year, they might be one drainage away this year. About all you can do is take your best guess. Where you see elk one day, you might not see them again the remainder of the season and the reverse also holds true

I ride my mule into a hunt area so I don't camp near by, but I find that hunters camping too close to prime elk habitat is a big reason that elk move out of there.

1-2 elk can make a lot of tracks wondering around eating. It is doubtful that early in the year with a little snow that elk would be migrating, but a herd of 15-20 might move thru an area making all those tracks.They tend to stay 1-3 days and move on to better forage. You might still see bulls tending a small herd of cows before they move off after rut.

If planning to creep up to that plateau, get up there before it is light. Then watch as the light comes on. That is the best time to locate elk. The later it is the more chance that they elk will be back in the timber. A lot of those tracks are made in the dark.

If you are comfortable with longer shots , then take them,but getting closer is not a bad thing, if you are able to.

There are no hard and fast rules about elk hunting ,even if there are a few, the elk don't now about them.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/06/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
there are walkers and talkers get in shape and walk and walk fast the more miles you can put on up in the high country the better chance you have to kill a bull.good luck ,be safe and shoot to kill,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 07/06/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by pete53
there are walkers and talkers get in shape and walk and walk fast the more miles you can put on up in the high country the better chance you have to kill a bull.good luck ,be safe and shoot to kill,Pete53

I don't walk more than a 1/2 mile from my rides and I kill elk most ever year. If you are in an area and see a lot of very fresh sign, I would work that area until you know there are no elk there .Most hunters that find such an area move WAY too fast, but we all have our own way of hunting.

I have killed three bulls and a cow when sitting at this very spot.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/06/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I once followed a bull in an inch of snow to a thicket, about 40 yards around. I spent an hour or so circling the thicket cow calling and "grazing" in hopes to lure him out to the edge so I could see him. When I had nearly completed the circle with the snow melting I figured I must have missed seeing his tracks leaving the thicket in the heavy bear grass. As I took my pack off to find some toilet paper he exploded from a few yards away, hidden in the hemlocks.

I realized right then that an elk intent on not being found will usually not be found, and it takes little to hide one.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know a spot right along a popular hiking/biking trail. It's up a ways from the trailhead. As soon as there's enough snow so the hikers quit using it, the elk move in. I got a cow last year out of a herd of 80 to 100 right on the trail. Until the snow falls, though, forget it. 100 hikers a day will be traipsing though the middle of it. The season goes through the end of Nov so if I wait long enough, the snow and the elk will be there. I drew a tag this year, too, so I'll be right there again unless I run into something earlier in the season.

This was enough snow to lock out the hikers. There's a cow in those panniers.
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I know a spot right along a popular hiking/biking trail. It's up a ways from the trailhead. As soon as there's enough snow so the hikers quit using it, the elk move in. I got a cow last year out of a herd of 80 to 100 right on the trail. Until the snow falls, though, forget it. 100 hikers a day will be traipsing though the middle of it. The season goes through the end of Nov so if I wait long enough, the snow and the elk will be there. I drew a tag this year, too, so I'll be right there again unless I run into something earlier in the season.

This was enough snow to lock out the hikers. There's a cow in those panniers.
[Linked Image]

Hey that's interesting. Would not have thought of that.

LOL
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks to all for the many helpful comments.

Gives me a lot to think about, and time to plan.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I don't walk more than a 1/2 mile from my rides and I kill elk most ever year. If you are in an area and see a lot of very fresh sign, I would work that area until you know there are no elk there .Most hunters that find such an area move WAY too fast, but we all have our own way of hunting.

[Linked Image]

Saddlesore: How do you set up? Do you sit in brush or tree cover or out in the open? Sit on the ground?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Impressive pics every and good story Hawk. I generally sit right on the ground and occasionally I'll gather up some sticks or hide behind a deadfall. Depends on how far away I think the elk will be, and how long I'll plan on sitting there. I get antsy easily. We only have a few areas that sitting for more than two hours would be warranted. Elk are so nomadic, very unlike deer coming to feed in the same corn field each night. It's a lot of luck of being in the right place at the right time and as others have said, lots of elk movement during the night.

Here's our hunt from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8aKAfoiGsE&t=2302s

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

[Linked Image]

Saddlesore: How do you set up? Do you sit in brush or tree cover or out in the open? Sit on the ground?

I get there in the dark..Set up on the treeline along some old logs on the ground and wait until it gets light. Guys just starting a few miles way, at daylight push those elk past me. Sometimes the elk are right there bedded down. At times you see elk the first morning, other times you don't see any until the last day. I don't subscribe to the tactic of keep moving. If you are moving and the elk are moving , what are the chances of bumping into them. Know the country and have confidence that the elk are there

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/05/19.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't subscribe to the tactic of keep moving. If you are moving and the elk are moving , what are the chances of bumping into them. Know the country and have confidence that the elk are there

I think that works once you'vew found a spot like yours. But until you do......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
I don't subscribe to the tactic of keep moving. If you are moving and the elk are moving , what are the chances of bumping into them. Know the country and have confidence that the elk are there

I think that works once you'vew found a spot like yours. But until you do......
let me finish the sentence > keep walking !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don’t want to debate anyone’s tactics but would offer this bit of anecdotal info: Last year, three of us killed 3 bulls within 250 yards of the others in a 4 day period. All sitting at first and last light. At a spot a mile away, I have killed 5 elk over an 8 year stretch. I’ll be sitting in one of those spots at first light opening morning 3rd rifle season and every day thereafter until I tag one or go home. Best of luck finding that honeyhole! Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,515,003
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.