Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Does anyone have any experience with septic lagoons?

A property we are looking at in Idaho is on ten acres and has a septic lagoon rather than a septic tank. The property looks great, all pretty much level or slightly rolling ground. Apparently a fair amount of clay, hence the lagoon rather than tank. From what I've seen of the paperwork so far, the lagoon has always passed inspections and is the required distance from the home and the well.

I realize the vegetation must be controlled around and in the lagoon for it to work properly and by regulation must be fenced. Any big drawbacks to a septic lagoon? Any that would dissuade you from an otherwise desirable property?

Thanks for any input.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is there a creek you can just pipe it to? grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You are joking right?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have never heard of a home based lagoon treatment. Small towns and cities in rural areas have lagoons for treatment. These lagoons have a pond liner installed. A question I have is how old is this lagoon? Where does the water flow out of the lagoon or does it seep down through the clay? I would definitely check with Idaho DEQ on its acceptance and what all is involved. If the ammonia is converted to nitrate in this lagoon, I also would check my well water nitrate level. Nitrate level I believe should be below 10ppm. I would think there has to be water seepage through the clay and possibly into the water table. Another factor to consider is solids build up in the lagoon. At some point solids will need to be removed. How big is this lagoon? Lagoons are usually aerated for treatment also. This is a septic lagoon like you noted. I'm sorry but this does not sound like a good treatment system to me and somewhat surprised it is legally allowed to exist. I'd be calling Idaho DEQ for all the information at this site.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Those are really nice when your dogs go for a swim...

laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by abilene
I have never heard of a home based lagoon treatment. Small towns and cities in rural areas have lagoons for treatment. These lagoons have a pond liner installed. A question I have is how old is this lagoon? Where does the water flow out of the lagoon or does it seep down through the clay? I would definitely check with Idaho DEQ on its acceptance and what all is involved. If the ammonia is converted to nitrate in this lagoon, I also would check my well water nitrate level. Nitrate level I believe should be below 10ppm. I would think there has to be water seepage through the clay and possibly into the water table. Another factor to consider is solids build up in the lagoon. At some point solids will need to be removed. How big is this lagoon? Lagoons are usually aerated for treatment also. This is a septic lagoon like you noted. I'm sorry but this does not sound like a good treatment system to me and somewhat surprised it is legally allowed to exist. I'd be calling Idaho DEQ for all the information at this site.

That is not what a septic lagoon is. You have a septic tank but instead of a leach field the effluent is piped to a small pond because the soil does not percolate. In the pond the effluent evaporates. Mine is 21 years old, stays dry , very little goes in there. All you do to maintain the system is have your septic tank pumped out every so often.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mart

A property we are looking at in Idaho is on ten acres and has a septic lagoon rather than a septic tank. The property looks great, all pretty much level or slightly rolling ground. Apparently a fair amount of clay, hence the lagoon rather than tank. From what I've seen of the paperwork so far, the lagoon has always passed inspections and is the required distance from the home and the well.

I realize the vegetation must be controlled around and in the lagoon for it to work properly and by regulation must be fenced. Any big drawbacks to a septic lagoon? Any that would dissuade you from an otherwise desirable property?

Thanks for any input.

There is a septic tank there. Just ask someone. Never worry about the vegetation. I've shoved many weeping willow cuttings around it. Talk about a fast growing tree.

Last edited by Kyhilljack; 07/07/19.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack

That is not what a septic lagoon is. You have a septic tank but instead of a leach field the effluent is piped to a small pond because the soil does not percolate. In the pond the effluent evaporates. Mine is 21 years old, stays dry , very little goes in there. All you do to maintain the system is have your septic tank pumped out every so often.

Thanks for clarifying, so there is a tank? Original poster states there is no tank?

Last edited by abilene; 07/07/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

+1 on calling DEQ on this. I have never heard of one either and I live in a rural area. Might have been built that way before above-grade septic fields were developed.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There is a community septic lagoon, more commonly or locally anyways called "the trout pond" near my place in Alaska...It's 100% ground and pumped raw sewage..

Don't try to catch trout there, the fishing sucks....

this is it....
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Naknek,+AK,+USA/@58.7247054,-157.0513358,343m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x56e7c5403196c26f:0xc2213cc1032e0af1!8m2!3d58.7283333!4d-157.013889

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hubert
You are joking right?

Just for the warshun machine.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Not in Idaho but I have built a few and as Some have said there should be a septic tank and the Lagoon part just takes place the lateral or leach field when properly done in my opinion there is no real drawbacks because if everything's working properly you don't even really have a smell that scares some people. Now I would fence it off and I wouldn't want my dogs to swim in it for sure. I have been a licensed septic installer in many counties in Missouri for many years I have repaired some tanks and replaced many lateral Fields I have never worked on a lagoon only built them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our's is just a two pond system, one acts as the "septic tank" the larger one would be the facsimile of a drain field. There is absolutely no liner involved, that would defeat the purpose.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sounds like a great spot to grow some rice for your local China Palace.

Post a No Fishing sign near it pointed at your neighbor's property. laugh

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago, many houses had cesspools. It was often just a pit 6' deep with cinderblocks stacked around the sides and covered with boards and dirt. The only outlet was the holes between and through the cinder blocks. When the sludge built up to the top, you dug a new one.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks guys for all the replies. I'll check with the realtor to find out if it has a tank. That would make sense. It has been permitted and inspected by Idaho and passed applicable inspections judging by the paperwork I've received.

Maybe I can start a side business raising tilapia. grin

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Maybe I can start a side business raising tilapia. grin

Tasty! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Had some older properties with a lagoon.

Pumps, aerators, stirrers, had been there for 50 years.

Regularly inspected by MO DNR, checked out fine.

Then one day, they tell me the new water regs say ya can't have a lagoon anymore.

Grandfathered? Nope.

OBTW, get it done ASAP or its up to $10k month fine.

Had to find a way to hook up to the city.

$150k later, got the thing done, and disproved the theory that ya can't make shat flow uphill.

Talk to your state's DNR or equivalent, ta make sure there aren't going to be any water reg changes coming up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where is the source for drinking water?

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
We had a lagoon at a rural home in OK. I had a septic tank installed and we had no issues. The effluent does evaporate so there should be no issues.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.