Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have had tires fail from age that looked good. After 7 years they need replacing. Have a coworker that found out the hardway. Had a camper that he moved a couple of years ago. His tires were 10 and had low miles. He moved and all 4 blew out on a cross TX trip. None of them at a convienent time or location. He also had an old tire blow on his dualie the same year. Did 4000 dollars damage to the truck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know that many tire stores in AK, will not install tires that are 10 years or older on cars. Since we usually swap out studded for non-studded depending on the season, I have been in tire shops more than once and seen this occur to people. First I saw it occur at as Costco. I really didn't think about it, as I had always been accustomed to having replace tires about every 3-4 years minimum anyways,.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I have had tires fail from age that looked good. After 7 years they need replacing. Have a coworker that found out the hardway. Had a camper that he moved a couple of years ago. His tires were 10 and had low miles. He moved and all 4 blew out on a cross TX trip. None of them at a convienent time or location. He also had an old tire blow on his dualie the same year. Did 4000 dollars damage to the truck.

Had a Michelin LTX fail at the sidewall. Original owner thought the tires were 5years old and according to her receipt she was right. Turns out they were 7years old. They were two years old already when she purchased them!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Campers, RV's and utility trailers are the worst! Customer looks and sees practically new tread, you tell them it's dry rotting, they ask well how long will it last?

Could be 3 years, 3,000 miles, 3 seconds or 3 feet your guess is as good as mine!!! No way I've seen to predict. Would you like to call a service truck out in the North Ga Mtns on the side of a highway or would you like to have them changed now? Up to you..Your mileage may vary has never been truer!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

I've seen some tires on trailers where that code stood for 35th week of 1907.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So I went outside and looked at the tires on four vehicles. Every one of them has slight "cracks" in the tread grooves similar to what Sam showed (maybe not as large though), except for some new tires that are about 4 months old.

The tire codes date the various tires from 2007 to 2016. The 2007 LT tires have the least amount of visible cracking. None of the tires have over 35k on them.

From that, one might conclude that tires show tread groove "cracking" without it necessarily being a sign of old age. What do you think?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The sun has a lot to do with cracking. RV'ers use tire covers for a reason. A spare on the back of a camp trailer needs a cover, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I shouldn't have made two top speed 165+mph runs on I-10 in a 6 year old 14 thousand miles on tires that 'looked ok' should I .

Sam , you are to be commended - I think you might well have saved lives with this thread , we should buy you a case of beer or something .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Sam , you are to be commended - I think you might well have saved lives with this thread , we should buy you a case of beer or something .

Damn right... I'd buy him a few beers for sure.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I hope everybody's happy. I replaced the old tires on my car today. I would have gotten 20,000 more miles out of the old ones if this thread had never occurred.

,...going on the road soon and this thread got me all OCD about the small cracks in my tires.

On the other hand, these General Altimax RT43's seem like a decent tire for the money.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Poor guy, maybe they should have a crowd funding program set up here for when members inflict such expenses upon other members.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I put a set of those Altimax on our little local use Chevy last week. Good ride, quiet better handling.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
I put a set of those Altimax on our little local use Chevy last week. Good ride, quiet better handling.

I read up on them a bit. They're known as a very good budget priced tire. I need tires on another vehicle. I'll probably put them on that one too.

https://reviews.cheapism.com/cheap-tires/

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My tire guy says he is not able to lawfully sell a tire over 7 years old.

The lesson here is, and I did it, is buying a tire with 100,000 mile tread wear out warranty, they were Toyo's, in 6 years i had one weeping air through a side wall with ~40,000 miles on them, lots of tread left. Take to dealer and he said if you are not going to put the miles on then buy a tire that is rated for less miles , say 40,000. So if you drive less than 40,000 in 5 years buy tires with a tread warranty of 40,000.

Anyway, I replace tires at 5 years or when tread is about 70% gone.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got 6 new baloney skins on the Dodge because of this thread. Got rid of the twelve year old tires that were on it.

LOL
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Axtell
if you are not going to put the miles on then buy a tire that is rated for less miles , say 40,000.

That's where I'm at. The tires rot off of my vehicles before they have any miles on them. Still, I want a tire that performs decently. The General Altimax tires seem like what I need. They're not the cheapest tires out there, but they're good value for the money. I'm probably going to put them on everything from now on.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Bristoe
... On the other hand, these General Altimax RT43's seem like a decent tire for the money.

The ones on the Wife's Corolla have 55K on them so far, and they look great. Even wear, and they appear to have another 15 - 20K left in them.

They rode so well they convinced me to put them on the Camry, as well. 20K miles in, I'm still well-pleased with them.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

yesterday....took the spare outta my '02 Chevy 2500HD

brand new......never used......17 years old

had it swapped for a one YO Cooper AT3 I had laying around

needed patched but OK for a spare......left the OEM tire at the shop

Could you imagine that ole tire 80 mph on I-70 ?

the smell of new tires makes my nipples hard........ grin

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn, now I’m getting TIREd.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by Bristoe
... On the other hand, these General Altimax RT43's seem like a decent tire for the money.

The ones on the Wife's Corolla have 55K on them so far, and they look great. Even wear, and they appear to have another 15 - 20K left in them.

They rode so well they convinced me to put them on the Camry, as well. 20K miles in, I'm still well-pleased with them.

FC

I bought mine at a big tire place. I asked the young man behind the counter if they sold General Altimax tires and he answered, "A lot of them". They also had a special going on,...$70 off a set of four,...and he was telling the truth because I got a quote for the same tires at another place and it was almost exactly $70 more than he quoted me. The other place also wanted an additional $65 for a 4 wheel alignment. It started turning into a lot of money, so I went to this other place.

They sold the set of tires for $70 less and threw in a 4 wheel alignment for free.

My car didn't behave as if it needed an alignment, but I always get it looked at when I put on a new set of tires.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.