Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Electric start. If you have ANY gravel at all, get as many shear pins as you think you need....and buy some more.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am getting to the point one you can ride and stay warm in is the best

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If it doesn't come with tire chains better get some

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
Get tracks, and reverse.

Reverse is essential for the entertainment of the neighbors as they watch you back up, forget to return to a forward gear, and back the machine into yourself.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I think most of the big name machines are pretty good now. My last 2 were a Husqvarna 10 hsp 27” and, when we still had our place up north, a 17 hsp 32” Simplicity. That was a beast. Our driveway was 900’ from the road, gravel, thru the woods. I’d always plowed it. Got a new truck and didn’t want to put a plow on it so got the snowblower. It turned out to be faster than plowing and did a much better job in the woods. Both machines were great. Both were two stage.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Lennie
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Lennie
I've never owned one. I plan on buying one before fall and have no idea as to brands or what to look for. This will be my driveways and side walks.

Typical snowfall?
Area to be cleared?
Any hills or flat?

It’s all in the details. ALL of them are great when new.

Flat surfaces only. We get both powder and wet. last winter I had 5 ft drifts.

I've had two. An MTD 5hp/24" on tracks . It was fine on regular snow. Less good on snow that was ranied on.

Next one was a 9/27 Honda on wheels . Huge performance difference! Faster on driveway and paths and threw snow farther.

That said, my reco is 5hp two-stage minimum. More power is never the wrong answer. If flat, tracks are better especially pushing Into wet heavy snow, but more expensive. Personal decision. I think the hydrostatic drive is a good upgrade of a friction wheel.

Honda is a very good brand, but the price reflects it.

They're all great new. I've never seen one without reverse. Do you have a dealer for a particular brand? I wouldnt buy from a box store unless you have a good small engine shop close.
Good luck.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wouldn't go with less than an 8 HP myself. I need that and more would be good to get through the plow drift. The house is on a corner and the plow driver wants to swing wide so all the snow rolls off the blade at the end of my driveway. Also some years the extra hp are needed for wind drifts.

Friction wheels work fine, The trick is to not overtax the machine. Current machine is an 8 HP MTD I got new 24 years ago. Works fine but I should clean the carb before winter. Replaced friction wheel exactly once.

Decades ago an old small engine guy in upstate (lke effect) NY told me to never use chains. The wheel slip was part of not overstressing the machine and chains accounted for a lot of his repair jobs. Think he was right.

Adapted a surplus auto wiper motor to turn the chute. One of my more useful odd projects. A good option if you can get it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whelennut
You might be better off to pay somebody else to do it.
They are a pia in wet slush.
A plow works better for some driveways.
I was dating a gal who had been unaware that her blower had electric start for 12 years. Funny stuff.
I am guessing her ex husband still chuckles about that.

If she could suck start it i can begin to see the humor!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had 1 stage, 2 stage, reverse, tracks, you name it. By the time they are perfect they cost so much you will be happier paying someone. When you are trying to replace a shear pin when its -14 and ice is forming on your face, you will be like oh fudge this and want to pay someone.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get something you sit on and ride.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'll say it again, 3 stage is your friend.
I've owned 7 different snowblowers of various sizes and configurations.
The only one that would dig into plow drifts at the street was a Toro Powershift that had the drive axle on a pivoting lever arrangement which would put the axle out behind the machine placing more weight on the auger housing. It would dig through those drifts but often required leaning on the handles to get traction.
Great machine.
Sold it when after I bought a John Deere lawn tractor with a single stage blower.
A buddy bought a 3 stage like I linked to in my other post. That one will chew through wet and compacted snow like a fat lady at the all you can buffet.

We used to live in a snow belt area in Northern Michigan. 30+ years of a nearly every day task.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a snowblower for 50.00 this spring because we haven't had snowy winters for 2 years. it has reverse and tracks. seems to run great so if we get snow this winter I guess i'll be set. if not I will sell it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Get something you sit on and ride.
Damn right.... smile

Like this:

[Linked Image]wells fargo near me address

Oh, and never blow snow UPwind! laugh laugh

But all joking aside - the ones suggested above are all good units.. Size/drive/stages will be determined by the size of the area you need cleaned and the amount of snows you can reasonably predict.. A good, close-by dealer can also make a yuge difference in your decision...

Good luck. Snow's only a few months away.. (grrrrrrrrr)..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Redneck

Good luck. Snow's only a few months away.. (grrrrrrrrr)..

cry

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You're missing a cab....

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Mine is a 13-14 yo Ariens and it can still throw snow a long way. There were two factors for me, housing height and power. It wasn't available when I got mine but 3-stage is what I'd get now and it would have the highest intake available.

We occasionally get a really big dump and I always need to punch out my driveway after the county has plowed it in, and after the snow's piled up all winter I need to clear a path through the pasture to get the RV out to roll south in February.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've only owned one, a 41 year old Ariens 8/24. Last year I had to actually put money in it, an auger gearcase.
I thought about getting a newer, more efficient one but it was easy to see that the quality isn't close to what it was 41 years ago so I fixed it.
It was a pleasure to work on something so stone-axe simple and logical. Even changing the occasional belt is easy, take two bolts out and it hinges in half, exposing everything.
I bought a drive wheel 10 years ago just....because. Haven't put it on yet. Doesn't need it. If you have an issue, you can call Ariens direct. They are very helpful.
Select your horsepower for the worst case, not the average.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SamOlson
You're missing a cab....
On purpose... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by SamOlson
You're missing a cab....
On purpose... smile

Yeah, cuz digging snow out from behind your glasses because the wind swirled and you can't see is great fun!
It's better when you get your eyelids closed before the fill-up, ask me how I know.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Get something that works. This Toro will blow snow into the neighbors yard. It doesn't have tracks, you don't need tracks with a good snowblower. This isn't an occasional happening to move a lot of snow regularly throughout the winter. it has 6 speeds forward, 2 in reverse, single had chute control and electric start...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,590
Posts18,492,128
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.