-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When people buy these huge snakes their the size of a pencil and grow to where they can eat you. Safe handling requires 1 adult per 4’. When they get huge people let them free.

[Linked Image from ]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ConradCA
When people buy these huge snakes their the size of a pencil and grow to where they can eat you. Safe handling requires 1 adult per 4’. When they get huge people let them free.

OK, I'll scratch my last 25 years of experience and run with that.....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Why not do a controlled burn series in the Everglades? Four legged critters and birds will move out pretty quickly. Swamp will regenerate. Are we going to lose some animals, yes. If not very dramatic action, python predators will wipe them all out. Serially kill all those big devils and regain control.

I have thought about that myself but these things would probably slither off and hide where it was safe. I believe the indians as a matter of routine did controlled burns in the everglades at one time. JeffA would know the answer to this .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Why not do a controlled burn series in the Everglades? Four legged critters and birds will move out pretty quickly. Swamp will regenerate. Are we going to lose some animals, yes. If not very dramatic action, python predators will wipe them all out. Serially kill all those big devils and regain control.

I have thought about that myself but these things would probably slither off and hide where it was safe. I believe the indians as a matter of routine did controlled burns in the everglades at one time. JeffA would know the answer to this .

The Glades burn on a pretty regular basis, natural and man made control burns. I've never heard any mention as to the burns having effect on the reptiles or any other species that call the Glades home.

Ya gotta remember, the Glades is mostly water...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

The Glades burn on a pretty regular basis, natural and man made control burns. I've never heard any mention as to the burns having effect on the reptiles or any other species that call the Glades home.

Going to be a battle removing them if it can even be done at all.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The snakes will not be eradicated, they're here to stay.

I have my doubts you could come to the Glades for a week or two or even longer and even get a chance to see one in the wild. Their numbers are up there and growing but the Glades cover a huge area like 1.5 million acres.
A lot of media hype is involved whenever a single snake is captured or killed.

I've wandered all over these swamps at times in waist deep water for miles and never seen a invasive snake by chance.
Seen plenty of native snakes, which can be of a lot more concern due to being venomous.
The invasive species we have messed with were first brought to our attention via a phone call and report of where one had been spotted so it could be captured.

Lot's of things out there to photograph other than snakes....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These little guys are sorta invasive
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff, you got a lot of nerve wading through those swamps! I'd be scared of running into a pack of moccasins! laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You boys can have all the swampland you want. I'll take mountains and streams. But it is interesting that America has such diverse geography and lifestyles and yet we all unite as Americans.

LOL
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i always ask the chicks if they want to see my copperhead.

Yep.your midget copperhead. Quit sending pics.

Fingerling? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You eat those things Jeff? I think you meant venomous, rather than poisionous.

Word Nazi at work...... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Jeff, you got a lot of nerve wading through those swamps! I'd be scared of running into a pack of moccasins! laugh

And that's the #1 little bi tch we run into. That is what the sticks are for, to flip them outta the way.

[Linked Image]

You gotta stay alert, the problem is that the canopy is so dense that all the trees grow fast, skinny and tall in attempt to reach the sun. So there is a lot of 30 to 40ft thin dead fall that's underwater. You step on the fat end and the tiny little top pop's outta the water 30 ft away and looks just like a snakes head...Keeps ya on your toes.....

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by las
You eat those things Jeff? I think you meant venomous, rather than poisionous.

Word Nazi at work...... smile

Huh? Where? LOL I went brain dead and was hacking the spelling so took an alternative route...fixed it..thanks...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And to think I was startled by a yard long bull snake as I reached to turn on a lawn faucet yesterday. Can't imagine rounding the corner and running into one out weighing me.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/10/19.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They can keep their snakes and swamps....

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I keep seeing shows where they catch the bastards. Why don't they just kill them?

for years, the state decided to protect the reptiles and 'study' them. You could go out into the 'glades an catch them, but they had to be turned over to the State. Recently it's more of a 'kill on sight' thing, but years too late.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
50 eggs in 1 snake. Take 1000 snakes with 50 each and in just 1 hatch, you have a whole crapload of snakes. There's no way they'll ever clean them out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JeffA

Yes. There were 12 fires just last week all going at the same time.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i always ask the chicks if they want to see my copperhead.

Because they'll need a series of med's after exposure?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Outlaw all pythons including pets. Then put a bounty on them. Kill the ones caught.

+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I keep seeing shows where they catch the bastards. Why don't they just kill them?

for years, the state decided to protect the reptiles and 'study' them. You could go out into the 'glades an catch them, but they had to be turned over to the State. Recently it's more of a 'kill on sight' thing, but years too late.

Unfortunately Georgia isn't learning by Florida's example. They have recently discovered an area populated by tegu lizards and the Georgia DNR's reaction is to study it.

No telling what is out there right now and there are few things being done to keep Georgia from following the path taken by Florida. This snake track was found on the road to my shop. It is between 6 and 7 inches wide. We have a university in town that has around 20,000 students and a pet store that sells several different types of pythons and lizards. No telling what has already been released in the area.

[Linked Image]

Harry
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Massive 16-foot python with nest of 50 eggs removed from Florida Everglades

https://www.foxnews.com/science/python-nest-eggs-florida-everglades-removed

No disrespect, chlinstructor. Good story. But, I always have to laugh when people call Ron Bergeron an "Everglades Conservationist". smile

He's the biggest developer in south FL and has been for years. While most developers are often dripping with law-breaking activity, Bergeron is probably among the most ethical of the bunch.

Still, calling him an "Everglades Conservationist" kinda makes me chuckle.

His Payloaders and Caterpillars have mowed down a chitload of hammock, mangrove estuary, Florida pine, and oak. And, displaced a 100 mi long trainload of indigenous species.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.