Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep in mind killing the plant with herbicide just kills the plant, the urisol is still out there and the plants far less visible when dead.

Although I have not needed to clear acres of poison ivy or similar plants on my acre it was far easier, cheaper and very effective to suit up and pull it by hand. The first year I stuffed two forty gallon bags full that weighed about forty pounds each. I have only had it return around two trees and it's easy to spot.

Last edited by RDW; 07/12/19.

Dave

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm not allergic to it, but my wife is, so I have to keep it sprayed around the place so she doesn't get into it. Like some other posters on here, a mix of glysophate and 2-4-D is what I use. Also, there's a product called Crossbow that's good for poison ivy and just about anything else like it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
2,4,5-T and 2,4-D mixture

Agent Orange. Kill it all

Too bad ya' can't get it anymore.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Anyone that nukes poison oak or ivy is a friend of mine. Rock on B!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Guess I am lucky as I can be all in it and it does nothing to me. My dad and middle brother same way. My son is 4 and it doesn’t do anything to him either.

My poor wife and mom though, eats them alive

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
GARLON (triclopyr) kills the crap out of it at 4%. You're wasting time with glyphosate. https://www.amazon.com/Triclopyr-Co...&hvtargid=pla-376934476490&psc=1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by joken2

Guess I must have a natural resistance to poison ivy and such because I've been in and all around it countless times in my life and so far have never had any reaction from it whatsoever,

Many people seem to be immune like that. Then one day they get in the stuff and it nails them. Apparently a susceptibility slowly builds up in the body then bang, you get hit.

That’s what happened to me, now I just look at the crap and I get it.
Have had it internally too...not fun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Firefighters have to be careful around it. As it burns, the smoke can really sear the lungs.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Nobody's mentioned puttin a little dish soap in the glyph mix yet, so I'll throw it in here.

1/4 cup in your 2 gallon sprayer will enhance the effectiveness of the spray, makin it go farther.

Add the water first, then concentrate then soap, so it don't foam up while mixin it.
Yep - the soap acts as a surfactant (a substance which tends to reduce the surface tension of a liquid in which it is dissolved).. Commonly used on several row crops for weed control...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Firefighters have to be careful around it. As it burns, the smoke can really sear the lungs.

one of my friends almost died because of breathing the smoke of burning poison ivy. spent over a week in the hospital.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yep. Been there done that. Got the T shirt.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Here's one I've never heard before:

6 Tips For Removing Poison Ivy Plants

6. Another technique to clear the area of poison ivy is by planting grass seed. Ivy will not grow where there is a lawn. I tried this at my cottage and it worked. The only downside is that it takes time, but, once you have grass, you won’t have poison ivy.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
GARLON (triclopyr) kills the crap out of it at 4%. You're wasting time with glyphosate. https://www.amazon.com/Triclopyr-Co...&hvtargid=pla-376934476490&psc=1

yep what I found as well, Ortho brush killer concentrate is what I have used and Ortho ground clear in the past. Roundup also does not work on english ivy at all.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by joken2

Here's one I've never heard before:

6 Tips For Removing Poison Ivy Plants

6. Another technique to clear the area of poison ivy is by planting grass seed. Ivy will not grow where there is a lawn. I tried this at my cottage and it worked. The only downside is that it takes time, but, once you have grass, you won’t have poison ivy.

I've gotta say that's not correct. We've had a really wet, cool spring and it was growing right out in the yard of a place I own. It was so wet, you couldn't keep it mowed weekly. Its dried out some now and I got it controlled after mowing it twice.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I keep 4 acres mowed. There's not much poison ivy in the places I keep clear. But the acre that's grown over is lousy with poison ivy.

I'm slowly cleaning it out the old fashioned way,...with a chainsaw. But every now and then I think about hiring a man with a forestry mulcher to just "do it".

I might yet.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, my arms were covered in poison ivy/oak/sumac from cleaning out a fence row a weeks back. I bought a brush cutter with a steel blade to cut out blackberry vine and saplings in a fence row. I went to pulling on the cut vines and I came in contact on my arms. I just let it dry up with no cortisone usually.

I went back thought and sprayed with Pramitol. That stuff is wicked as it is a soil sterilant. It kills anything in the dirt for about a year. It's good for fencerows but bad for crops/quail. I don't like using it a lot but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by devnull
I bought a brush cutter with a steel blade

I've been thinking about getting one of those to go after the honeysuckle,....just so I won't have to spend so much time working my back bending over to cut it flush with the ground with a chainsaw.

Honda makes a good one with a 4 stroke motor for $400. But they're hard to find.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use Round-up mixed with Crossbow on poison oak and blackberries. I mix in dye to make sure I spayed what I want and don't over spray. We don't have much poison oak, but it does a number on it. Hell on blackberries, too.

Carpe' Scrotum
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've had it once, I didn't notice the vine on some huge logs I cut and carried, short sleeved and the log edges digging into my arms while vine was dripping juice into the abrasions. Otherwise I can basically roll in it.
I have a similar fight going every year with thistle however.
A neighbor with a 25-30 acre pasture which right now looks more like a thistle production farm.
My place is almost thistle free but in about 2-3 weeks seeds will be raining over in the breeze.
They always wait to cut/bush-hog until after it goes to seed.

FJB & FJT
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I've got a few thistles growing in the fence row. But not enough to be a problem.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,728 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,810
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.