Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Constitution says:

"Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct."

As far as I know enumeration of whom, citizens or all residents, has never been determined. You can faithfully argue it either ways. It is a real question, not a diversion (though it may be played as such).

BTW, that's why some (Ruthie) say other countries have better constitutions, they didn't leave out little details like that. But remember it was questionable if we'd even end up with a constitution with all the argument. Some bitter, like slavery. So some things were punted to a better day. (Perfection being the enemy of the good.)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally, I think one should be required to answer a citizenship question on the census, and if they answer that they are not a citizen, that information should be handed over to ICE.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and if they answer that they are not a citizen, that information should be handed over to ICE.

I will disagree with the red part of the quote, as they will not answer true, in that case. I do think that it should be used to limit Representatives and in other ways. ICE can find them on their own, if the handcuffs that are put on ICE by our Government is taken off. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hotsoup
All I tell them is how many people live in my house (an enumeration as per our constitution). All questionnaire go in the trash. Ymmv.

If you refuse to give out the information or you deliberately give inaccurate information, you can be in legal trouble. According to United States Code, Title 13 (Census), Chapter 7 (Offenses and Penalties), SubChapter II, if you're over 18 and refuse to answer all or part of the census, you can be fined up to $100. If you give false answers, you're subject to a fine of up to $500. If you offer suggestions or information with the "intent to cause inaccurate enumeration of population," you are subject to a fine of up to $1,000, up to a year in prison, or both.

n the United States, the census is officially a big deal (see How the Census Works to learn exactly how big a deal it is). Originally, the census was meant to be a way to count everyone so that the members of the House of Representatives could be allocated properly to the states. Every 10 years there would be a count, and states with more people got more members in the House. Over time, the government has gotten significantly more complicated, and today, the federal government allocates billions of dollars to states for all sorts of programs, much of it based on population. The census provides the only official head count.

https://people.howstuffworks.com/question345.htm

Also see.

https://people.howstuffworks.com/census.htm

Last edited by steve4102; 07/12/19.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just me - but I don't GAF what questions are on the census..... I ONLY answer the one that asks how many people live here....and totally ignore the rest... The Constitution asks for a head-count every ten years... That's it. The gov't can KMRRA for the rest of it...

I'm always threatened with 'legal action' if I don't fill it out.. I know the fine for this is $100.. I always reply with, "what's the address I use to send the check?" Funny, but I never hear from 'em again..

Last edited by Redneck; 07/12/19. Reason: added info

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What I’ve grasped so far is regardless of the names I’m called, I’m the only one admitting I know little about the subject.

So, the intimacy of the census is kept secret from the public for 72 years but the numbers are immediately usable for government purposes? That statement and question shouldn’t be that hard to understand but apparently is.

I’m not even trolling this time, I’m trying to learn...Funny

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Are representative counts based on people who live there, residents or citizens?

regardless of that, the citizenship question is valid IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would have thought it's citizens only but apparently non-citizens are counted as well.

From https://www.census.gov/population/apportionment/about/faq.html#Q7

"Who is included in the apportionment population counts? back to top
The apportionment calculation is based upon the total resident population (citizens and non-citizens) of the 50 states. In the 2010 Census, the apportionment population also includes U.S. Armed Forces personnel and federal civilian employees stationed outside the United States (and their dependents living with them) that can be allocated, based on administrative records, back to a home state. This is the same procedure used in 2000."

Well, that sucks. So anybody who fills out the census including aliens, legal or not, counts toward getting a representative in Congress. And since the total number is currently fixed at 435, if any state is entitled to one more that means one representative is taken away from another state.

So whether you like'em or not, fill out that census if you want to count toward keeping your state's representation in Congress.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Representatives are allotted according to the population of the district they're from. The number of representatives of a state impacts that state number of Electoral votes.
A higher number of people (like California) gives that state more power in congress and more importance in Presidential elections.
Based on citizenship, as the founders intended. But the democrats are after power at any price. Higher numbers of illegals in the census gives states like California disproportionate to what it should be.
7mm

Like we need to give those lunatics more power.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have always lied on every census question as a matter of principle. I do the same when contacted by pollsters. I might even lie on here from time to time. Generally speaking, if I tell of a successful hunt or a big fish, or give the impression I am the head of our household, I'm likely to be telling a lie. GD

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Justice Roberts needs to be impeached. The Obama regime compromised him and now he's their bitch. Get rid of Roberts!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.