-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Great pic’s. Good looking cuts. My favorite cut is the ribeye and at Costco you can get the rib primal (correct term I think) from which you can cut your own steaks to preferred thickness. I like 1 1/2” to 2”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I don't quite understand the idea of the tomahawk steak. Just wow factor?

Last good one I had was at the Tamarack in Lakeside, MT. It was good, a 32oz cut with about a foot of expensive bone sticking up in the air. We ordered two while eating at the bar and it made a bit of a spectacle. It also fell into the category of what is mentioned below..

Originally Posted by Food Beast.Com

Tomahawks Abre Pound-For-Pound The Biggest Scam In The Steak World

[Linked Image]

Isai Rocha

We hate to be the ones to pull back the curtain on this steak trend, as tomahawks have brought so much joy to thousands on Instagram while they gleefully swing around their steaks like Danny Trejo in Machete. But really, someone has to address this as a scam.

See, it's not unusual to drop a cool $100+ on a tomahawk, and we want you to know that you're paying a $50 to $80 upcharge for nothing more than a cool photo op, as tomahawk steaks are just over-glorified ribeye steaks.

You're not getting much more meat or extra flavor, you're literally paying for an extra foot of bone that you can't even eat.

"Essentially, you're just buying the bone," Chef Michael Puglisi of Electric City Butchers said about the tomahawk. "It's more about aesthetics than anything."

Puglisi and his partner Steven Sabicer run a whole animal butcher shop in Santa Ana, California, and they were a little reluctant in letting the cat out of the bag. But as skilled butchers who work closely with beef on a daily basis, they kept it real with us.

They definitely don't mind selling the tomahawk at their butcher shop, as the meat that's cut off the bone just gets sold as pieces of short rib, so there's no loss on their part.

"We will always honor a guest's wish to get it cut like a tomahawk," Sabicer said with a chuckle.

If you're not convinced, just take a look below, as I've carefully illustrated the subtle difference between a tomahawk steak and a bone-in ribeye steak:

[Linked Image]

The steak on the left is a glorious tomahawk, ready to be grilled up and used in battle. To the right is your usual bone-in ribeye — just as delicious, just not as flashy. They both look pretty similar, though, don't they?

Now, let's get some price comparisons rolling.

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse typically sells its bone-in ribeye for about $54, easily feeding at least two patrons. If you go for their Tomahawk ribeye, though, you're looking to spend $119 for that bad boy.

Lock and Key in Downey, California does it right, as the ounce gap between their bone-in ribeye and monstrous tomahawk at least feels like you're getting your money's worth. Their 18-ounce ribeye goes for about $55, while their 40-ounce tomahawk more than doubles the ounces for $99. There is a good chance that about 10 to 15 of those ounces are bone, though.

Ok, so we won't completely bash the tomahawk. You are getting a little bit more meat on the tomahawk, but you are absolutely not getting double the meat. If you were, it would be worth the doubled mark-up price, so as it stands, you're paying for that bone, baby.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by RAS
I
Butchering is a lost art.

And then there's the fact that I'm too cheap to pay 20 a lb at a real butcher shop.

lol, I grit my teeth and pay that and more for real beef. sure tastes good, but have to limit it to about 2 or 3 steaks / month.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Beef for those that can't hunt.
"Hint"

Just kidding, it all looks good, nothing like a good cut of beef cooked by someone that knows how to.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I like 1 1/2” to 2”

I’m your guy.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is this the same tray of ribeyes that gets posted once a month?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
look here you knuckleheads,

A Ribeye is the bestest ever.......

A Porterhouse is good friend worthy, (If I'm buying).

Sirloin is for people who eat with a napkin on their lap,

Filet, you need to be sporting a man-bun, with 2 napkins on your lap, A1 steak sauce is even acceptable while trying to infuse some additional excitement here.

This years goal is to try some of that Wagu,

expect a go-fund me account here shortly.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There's not a section of cow that I can't make delicious.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'll take, "What is Bone-in ribeye" for $200 Alex.

No better cut of meat IMHO.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my wife loves a bone in rib-eye, I cook her a good bone-in-ribeye, I get a bone in too!

But I like most any cut of red meat, what I can't stand is someone who ruins a good piece of red meat by cooking it anything beyond medium.
I determined I could never own a restaurant because I refuse to ruin good meat.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
re: price of Wagu,

Private Go fund me account has been established.

Pm me for shipping address. Cash only please.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

This guy knows stuff.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

Yep, best combo of meat/fat ratio.... best cut

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
my wife loves a bone in rib-eye, I cook her a good bone-in-ribeye, I get a bone in too!

The lady of the house here would require one additional item,

One glass of Merlot.

Is life great or what?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Kenneth
look here you knuckleheads,

A Ribeye is the bestest ever.......

A Porterhouse is good friend worthy, (If I'm buying).

Sirloin is for people who eat with a napkin on their lap,

Filet, you need to be sporting a man-bun, with 2 napkins on your lap, A1 steak sauce is even acceptable while trying to infuse some additional excitement here.

This years goal is to try some of that Wagu,

expect a go-fund me account here shortly.

🤣🤣 facts !!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I don't quite understand the idea of the tomahawk steak. Just wow factor?

Last good one I had was at the Tamarack in Lakeside, MT. It was good, a 32oz cut with about a foot of expensive bone sticking up in the air. We ordered two while eating at the bar and it made a bit of a spectacle. It also fell into the category of what is mentioned below..

Originally Posted by Food Beast.Com

Tomahawks Abre Pound-For-Pound The Biggest Scam In The Steak World

[Linked Image]

Isai Rocha

We hate to be the ones to pull back the curtain on this steak trend, as tomahawks have brought so much joy to thousands on Instagram while they gleefully swing around their steaks like Danny Trejo in Machete. But really, someone has to address this as a scam.

See, it's not unusual to drop a cool $100+ on a tomahawk, and we want you to know that you're paying a $50 to $80 upcharge for nothing more than a cool photo op, as tomahawk steaks are just over-glorified ribeye steaks.

You're not getting much more meat or extra flavor, you're literally paying for an extra foot of bone that you can't even eat.

"Essentially, you're just buying the bone," Chef Michael Puglisi of Electric City Butchers said about the tomahawk. "It's more about aesthetics than anything."

Puglisi and his partner Steven Sabicer run a whole animal butcher shop in Santa Ana, California, and they were a little reluctant in letting the cat out of the bag. But as skilled butchers who work closely with beef on a daily basis, they kept it real with us.

They definitely don't mind selling the tomahawk at their butcher shop, as the meat that's cut off the bone just gets sold as pieces of short rib, so there's no loss on their part.

"We will always honor a guest's wish to get it cut like a tomahawk," Sabicer said with a chuckle.

If you're not convinced, just take a look below, as I've carefully illustrated the subtle difference between a tomahawk steak and a bone-in ribeye steak:

[Linked Image]

The steak on the left is a glorious tomahawk, ready to be grilled up and used in battle. To the right is your usual bone-in ribeye — just as delicious, just not as flashy. They both look pretty similar, though, don't they?

Now, let's get some price comparisons rolling.

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse typically sells its bone-in ribeye for about $54, easily feeding at least two patrons. If you go for their Tomahawk ribeye, though, you're looking to spend $119 for that bad boy.

Lock and Key in Downey, California does it right, as the ounce gap between their bone-in ribeye and monstrous tomahawk at least feels like you're getting your money's worth. Their 18-ounce ribeye goes for about $55, while their 40-ounce tomahawk more than doubles the ounces for $99. There is a good chance that about 10 to 15 of those ounces are bone, though.

Ok, so we won't completely bash the tomahawk. You are getting a little bit more meat on the tomahawk, but you are absolutely not getting double the meat. If you were, it would be worth the doubled mark-up price, so as it stands, you're paying for that bone, baby.

Foodies and chefs are a special kind of annoying.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Does that mean you can't cook?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Perfect.
I love clarifying this glaring statement.

I am a butcher....
There aren't many butchers in grocery stores

Butchers can take an animal apart from its living state to a fully processed ready to cook piece of meat.

Most of the guys in grocery stores today are simply meat cutters.
They take processed primal cuts of meat and simply cut them into smaller pieces for retail purchases.
Most can't cut their way out of a paper bag and are absolutely clueless at to animal anatomy.

A butcher isn't a chef and vice versa.

A crew chief of a Nascar team knows every single working part of that vehicle and can assemble or disassemble it blindfolded.....but he doesn't drive the car....

I've cut up almost every North American big game animal species and every single domestic livestock species.

I cook well enough for my taste, but I don't ever want to be a chef.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave

Perfect.
I love clarifying this glaring statement.

I am a butcher....
There aren't many butchers in grocery stores

Butchers can take an animal apart from its living state to a fully processed ready to cook piece of meat.

Most of the guys in grocery stores today are simply meat cutters.
They take processed primal cuts of meat and simply cut them into smaller pieces for retail purchases.
Most can't cut their way out of a paper bag and are absolutely clueless at to animal anatomy.

A butcher isn't a chef and vice versa.

A crew chief of a Nascar team knows every single working part of that vehicle and can assemble or disassemble it blindfolded.....but he doesn't drive the car....

I've cut up almost every North American big game anima speciesl and every single domestic livestock species.

I cook well enough for my taste, but I don't ever want to be a chef.

That's funny.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Why is it funny?

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (12344mag, 219DW, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 1,887 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,443
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.