Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by RDW
Keep in mind killing the plant with herbicide just kills the plant, the urisol is still out there and the plants far less visible when dead.

Although I have not needed to clear acres of poison ivy or similar plants on my acre it was far easier, cheaper and very effective to suit up and pull it by hand. The first year I stuffed two forty gallon bags full that weighed about forty pounds each. I have only had it return around two trees and it's easy to spot.

Trying that would kill me.

I don't even like to step on it with shoes.

I'm not phobic about much of anything. But it's fair to say that I'm phobic about poison ivy. I've had some very bad experiences with it. It left a lasting impression on me.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Used to get it bad. Now just a couple bumps once in a while. Poison oak....if that gets ahold of me....it hurts.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I tore mine off the fence. Sprayed after. Never came back

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Grew up with it in west PA........

Ain't never seen in around here.........

you all keep it......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a herd of pack goats. They eat it and can carry your gear when hunting.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Been fightin' that crrap for 50yrs.! Round-up, Crossbow & a little Dawn dish soap tank mix will kill it dead. Genaric brands make it more affordable & work just as good.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by hotsoup
Roundup and 2-4-d kills with one application.

That's the ticket. Glyphosate is mostly a grass killer. 2-4-d works better on broad-leafs.
2-4-d by itself will probably kill the ivy and won't kill any grass.

Sorry guys. This just is not true.

Glyphosate kills the broadleaf plants as effectively as it does the grasses. Adding 2-4D to the mix just allows you to see the broadleafs wilt sooner.

All it is, is a feel good thing.

When I want everything dead, I use Glyphosate. It leaves bare ground behind.

When I want to leave the grass alive, I use Brash, Weedmaster. or Range Star interchangeably to kill blackberry, willow, scotch thistle, canadian thistle, bull thistle, wild rose, sweet clover, or dandelions out of the lawn. I bought 2.5 gal of Range Star at the local Farm Supply for $69 last week. I mix three quarts into a 25 gal ATV sprayer for 3% and kill everything I need to.

It is much less expensive to use just the chemical you need to use, and it is more environmentally friendly.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by devnull
I bought a brush cutter with a steel blade

I've been thinking about getting one of those to go after the honeysuckle,....just so I won't have to spend so much time working my back bending over to cut it flush with the ground with a chainsaw.

Honda makes a good one with a 4 stroke motor for $400. But they're hard to find.

Bristoe,
The Hondas are nice but heavy. I purchased an Echo SRM-410U. It's a 42.7cc 2-stroke. You still need to wear a harness but it takes no prisoners when that blade starts spinning. Add a carbide blade or a chisel tooth blade similar to a chainsaw and look out. You certainly don't want to trip when using it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The chainsaw style blade is often called a Beaver Blade. I have a pair of them I rotate through in the fall when I'm trimming up all my deerstands. A heavier-duty line trimmer will spin them just fine, mine is a Shindaiwa. A guy can clean up a lot of stuff with a Beaver Blade, a Stihl pole saw, and a chainsaw.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've knocked a few patches down with Roundup, but it never grows much over a foot or so up here in the north because of the winters. Not so in Florida however. We were out birding and the local curator at the park said to be careful of the poison ivy. He pointed out a tree just off the trail that had it growing up and around that tree at least 40' high!!! I had no idea that it would grow that large, but if it is a true ivy, it can climb. I was amazed.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
tag

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
you are using gly waaaayyyyyy to heavy... 2 oz per gal will smoke it... put fertilizer on it and the deer will eat it to the ground...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by scott_arthur
Been fightin' that crrap for 50yrs.! Round-up, Crossbow & a little Dawn dish soap tank mix will kill it dead. Genaric brands make it more affordable & work just as good.

Round up does not need to have any surfactant or crop oil added... see the label.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
you are using gly waaaayyyyyy to heavy... 2 oz per gal will smoke it... put fertilizer on it and the deer will eat it to the ground...

Maybe,....but it's killing it. The area I'm working is over grown brush,..so I'm not worried about killing anything that happens to get in the way. The worst places are in the shade of some big honeysuckle bushes and bradford pear trees. There's not much else growing up under them,...maybe some miscellaneous weeds here and there. As soon as I get the poison ivy beat down I'm going to start cutting the brush. If it get's killed during the poison ivy eradication process, it's no loss.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Prescribed burning will get rid of poison ivy. Alternate your burns between Fall and Spring to get the maximum plant diversity without the poison ivy (and autumn olives, honeysuckle, etc).

Mowing poison ivy just makes it miniaturize.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only got about an acre that I'm having to work on. My problem is, it's also covered with honeysuckle bushes. I want to cut the honeysuckle bushes, but the ground under them is carpeted with poison ivy.

I've got to get rid of the poison ivy first.
Burn it all!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

6. Another technique to clear the area of poison ivy is by planting grass seed. Ivy will not grow where there is a lawn. I tried this at my cottage and it worked. The only downside is that it takes time, but, once you have grass, you won’t have poison ivy.
This is BS. Poison ivy grows in my lawn, though it is very tiny, stunted like. But it is there and far more common than you know unless you actually look for it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am on the same warpath. Somehow I got the durn Poison ivy juice on my hands and then it spread to all sorts of nooks and crannies that were covered up by jeans and a long sleeved t shirt as I was doing yard work I knew I got in the stuff and quickly stripped and showered but.....gotcha!

Anyway next day I lad down 4 gallons of Round Up on 3/4 of an acre, and I'm going to hit it again in another week. Same dose. That stuff is evil!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
I am on the same warpath. Somehow I got the durn Poison ivy juice on my hands and then it spread to all sorts of nooks and crannies that were covered up by jeans and a long sleeved t shirt as I was doing yard work I knew I got in the stuff and quickly stripped and showered but.....gotcha!

Anyway next day I lad down 4 gallons of Round Up on 3/4 of an acre, and I'm going to hit it again in another week. Same dose. That stuff is evil!

Rubbing alcohol. That's what I clean up with after I've been out working in it. Then I shower.

In fact, I just went through the process about 45 minutes ago.

I was all up under stuff getting up close and personal with poison ivy infested areas with my sprayer.

As soon as I finish, I grab a wash cloth and a bottle of rubbing alcohol and give my face and arms a good scrub,..then a shower.

Like I said,..I'm pretty phobic about that stuff.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I've only got about an acre that I'm having to work on. My problem is, it's also covered with honeysuckle bushes. I want to cut the honeysuckle bushes, but the ground under them is carpeted with poison ivy.

I've got to get rid of the poison ivy first.
Burn it all!

It would burn the whole county down if I set that whole honeysuckle/bradford pear patch on fire.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 22250rem, 160user, 06hunter59, 204guy, 69 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,499 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,474
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.