Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 62 of 87 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 86 87
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, one thing I can tell you. Most people with a bad ankle carrying a pack in the backcountry are better served with a good boot than an elastic brace.

For most, the concern is rolling the ankle over to the outside. The way a brace goes on your foot, the angles that it applies tension, and the relative weakness of the elastic doesn't help much with that. If the elastic had enough tension to really help, you couldn't put it on and take it off. Taping is much better but for a multiple day trip it's a huge pain in the ass.

Tell her to lay in a good supply of ibuprofen.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Agree with all the above. She's vehemently anti-boot. Interestingly, when she hurt it, it wasn't primarily a roll to the outside, but that's what causes pain now. She's seeing the elastic as more to help keep it from swelling and the tape as the structural part of the "brace". I dunno, I think she's nuts but then again, if I had a good elk tag I was hunting I'd be doing the same thing... this is her window of opportunity. She works at a school, etc. Still think she's a bit nuts and there's a good chance she'll have to abort off the trail due to it.

Actually I think she's MORE nuts because the skeeters are gonna be vicious up there on the PCT. But as I said... obsessed. smile If they are really bad, I'm not going up to join her. Screw that. I'm NOT obsessed with through-hiking. I've been on the PCT in July when you feel like you can't breathe because there's such a cloud of skeeters around your face mask and they are burrowing into every crease in your clothes. God help the foo' who needs to take a dump. Etc.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
2 ocean days, salmon/crab were the focus,

"""""" I'm absolutely swamped with work. Fawk."""""""""""

Awkward and embarrassing at the same time,

Jeff still trying so hard to fit in some where.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those two things are not exclusive, Kenneth.

But then you never were the brightest candle on the cake, were ya... we pretty much already established that.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now it's really awkward,

I thought I was talking about you behind your back,

with you having me on ignore and all................

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
20-ish mile loop in the Elkhorns today- a hefty 6000'+ gain, a lot of off trail on rock = slow going; gorgeous day w/ the starting temps in the low 50's, upper 60's when I got back to my truck smile. also saw a dozen cow/calf elk about 500-600 yds across a drainage

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
2 ocean days, salmon/crab were the focus,

"""""" I'm absolutely swamped with work. Fawk."""""""""""

Awkward and embarrassing at the same time,

Boy I'll say. I'd really be embarrassed to admit I was closely following a guy on the internet that I don't know and will never meet, and concerning myself with how many days he went fishing.

Did a couple hours hike with the pack yesterday, in 90+ heat, it was awesome.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good workout yesterday paddling Swamp Thing about 5 miles. Was in the Columbia River mostly, with a little side-route up the Wenatchee River for a ways. When I got to where I was paddling furiously upstream... But not getting anywhere... I decided to turn around and go back down to the Columbia. Great workout and saw some beauty. Got out of the little boat and hiked a bit to take a few more wildlife photos:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm really enjoying the kayak - its a change from the hiking & biking - but still quite a workout.

Guy

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Originally Posted by mtwarden
20-ish mile loop in the Elkhorns today- a hefty 6000'+ gain, a lot of off trail on rock = slow going; gorgeous day w/ the starting temps in the low 50's, upper 60's when I got back to my truck smile. also saw a dozen cow/calf elk about 500-600 yds across a drainage

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mike- What loop did you do?

Ed T

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ed- originally was trying to create my own "High Route" from roughly High Point (via Elk Park) to Casey Peak and then to the saddle between Horsethief and Casey Meadows- simply too much talus/scree; I made it as far as a couple of high rocky outcroppings past High Point and gave up. Dropped down to the Beaver Ck trail and then up through Sheep Park and over to Casey Meadows and out (parked at the E Fork trailhead)

I did find a cool, really old trail on top of the ridge (in the vicinity of High Point)- dating back to crosscut/axe days, filing that away on the off chance I ever draw a bull tag there smile

Mike

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Mike-
Thought that talus looked familiar.
The wife and I did a bushwhack from High to Casey that started with a cow moose chasing us up on some rocks a number of years ago. It was a long day.
Love that Sheep Park area. Fondly remember when the Elkhorn 100k went through Beaver Creek and Sheep Park.

Have you ever explored that little lake/pond from the Clear Creek- Beaver Creek divide?

Ed T

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I haven't; seen it on the map and it's within a mile of the Beaver Ck trail- going to have to one of these days smile

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
5 mile hike with my wife and Tiny E, saw this buck in velvet on the way up to the ridge

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A good before-breakfast hike. 2.5 hours, 7.2 miles, 1729' gain.

Feeling good about that. New pair of lightweight Danner desert boots. I like them. Glad I had my poles, pretty steep and loose in a couple of spots.

[Linked Image]

Regards, Guy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good gym day today. Warm up on treadmill and 3 warm up sets of bench press, lat pull down, incline db fly and low rows then 3 working sets of chest and back supersets.

Bench press/T-bar row
Wide grip chest press/bent over barbell row supinated grip
Incline db press/Intermediate grip low row
Body weight ring pull up/Incline db fly

Shoulders and legs tomorrow

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
we've been spared the heat wave that a lot of the country was getting, until today frown

so to the gym

deadlifts 5/3/1+/10
overhead press 5/3/1+/10
lunges 3x30 yds
chin-ups 3x12
core

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mtwarden
we've been spared the heat wave that a lot of the country was getting, until today frown

so to the gym

deadlifts 5/3/1+/10
overhead press 5/3/1+/10
lunges 3x30 yds
chin-ups 3x12
core

What do you call "core"?

Because Deadlifts, overhead press (provided you are not doing them on a seated backrest), and lunges are all "core" movements.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
core as in incline sit-ups/lknee raises/back extension/etc

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Gotcha

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
cardio in the gym for me today. An hour on the stair machine and bike, doing intervals.

Page 62 of 87 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 86 87

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 17 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,487
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.