Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great way to get fat.

But like I said it is a great way to do it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Takes a ticking and keeps on licking

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I’ve never tried using one - but curious...

Thoughts ?

About like appliances, the homemade ice cream freezers these days are mostly junk. Many use plastic gears and weak motors and may make a few good batches but at some point they will fail. Usually sooner than later.

The best freezers were White Mountain. I have two. One a 6 quart and the other 4 quarts. I'll be looking for a new wooden tub for the 6 quart soon. The 4 quart was purchased off an older gentleman for $85.00 this year and worth every penny. I bought the 6 quart in around 1994 and it cost $125.00 then and I was glad to pay that. The wooden tubs are the weak point and unfortunately White Mountain sold out to Rival and they quickly cheapened the product and no more tubs are to be had that will fit my motor and freezer.

The way I got into homemade ice cream was I had an uncle who used to own a dairy. He brought homemade ice cream every time he came up to see my grandma and that was about every other weekend. He had a stellar recipe and when I make it, many folks tell me it's the best ice cream they've ever had. Try it. I think you'll like it and if you do, check you local craigslist for a White Mountain freezer for you.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Absolutely worth it if you like high quality stuff. Ice cream is something you just can’t buy as good as what you can make (if you make it right.) There is, however, no shortcut to doing it right. The recipe/method I use begins the day before and has been described as “a science experiment, not a recipe.” The key to smooth, creamy ice cream is good ingredients and a method that prevents the formation of ice crystals in your product. Do it right and it’s incredible. Do it wrong and it’s why bother.

Mathew 22: 37-39

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

Last father's day...

If you have kids or grandkids, it will be one of those memories that last a lifetime. As a kid in the 60s we had an old hand crank, big family get togethers there were enough cousins. Today I have a vintage Frost King 5 qt, electric.

Let the kids make the ice cream, they love it.

If it's too soft, leave it in the ice or do what I do and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes.

Kent

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Six aunts, six uncles, two grandparents, and twenty four cousins all living within an hour drive.

We never had a family celebration without hand cranked home made ice cream. In the winter the ice came from the frozen stock trough or frozen pond. In summer we made do with store bought ice.

Each family had a small herd of milk cows. And we made actual ice cream, not ice milk. Usually flavored with home grown fruits, fresh or preserved. Strawberries, peaches, blackberries, cherries, raspberries, etc.

No body has dairy cows anymore. I have not tasted home made ice cream in thirty years. Schwanns is available with less trouble and less cost than decent ingredients to make your own.

Sad state of affairs. I do not know that my kids have ever seen or tasted home made ice cream, I am positive my grandkids have not.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With an excellent recipe, it will be the best ice cream you ever ate.

Eat all you can fresh it is never as good once frozen

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
guaranteed brain freeze.

Kent

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Been going on here for around 100 years or so!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I’m lazy so I want an electric version of one...

But you guys are right - put in fresh fruit... great idea

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you've seen the disgusting vids of smartass kids licking ice cream and putting the containers back on the store shelf, you'll convert to a home freezer guy. If you haven't, the store-bought kind is a lot more convenient.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Like I said get a cheap one, plastic tub from walmart for $25

No need in spending big if youre unsure whether or not it's gonna be an enduring enjoyable experience for you.

And to back that up

wahh wahh wahh, the cheap one has plastic gears. WHO really gives a fugg. You ain't pulverizing granite stones with it.

JFC

Get a cheap one so when after one 1 or 2 uses and it stays in your pantry for another 10 damn years unused, you can say..."wow I'm sure glad I wasnt a schmuck and paid for the $125 unit"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of my favorite memories growing up on real home made ice cream through the 60's and 70's.

Dad owned a cheese factory, and the cream came straight from the separator. No need to add any fruit.......

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As long as Bluebell is in business you don’t need no machine!

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Waste of money....you’re better off spending $1,500 on a rig, then handloading ammo, then some camo and $300 boots, then shooting a deer to yield about 40# of meat you coulda bought at the grocery store for around the price of your boots.

Hmmm....on second thought, go for it.

Don’t skimp on the ingredients. Better is better. And if someone asks for “frozen yogurt” instead, slap them silly.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
- are they worth screwing with ?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you're sane - No!
Otherwise - have a ball!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Anybody going to post their "Excellent Recipes"? I use the ones that came with my ice cream machine and its pretty good. We had a family recipe that used raw eggs which freaks out all the wives that have joined our family, so we don't make it anymore. Would like to try some favorite recipes if anyone is willing to share.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Like I said get a cheap one, plastic tub from walmart for $25

This is what I use.

I mix the ingredients in a bowl and put it in the freezer for a hour to get it really cold.
Then I put it in the maker and put whole thing in my freezer and close the door on the cord.
It usually takes about an hour.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I’ve never tried using one - but curious...

Thoughts ?

Yes....but do not take my word for it get one and use it. You only live once....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A bit of a process but worth it imo. You need at least two freezers going at the same time for a choice of flavores. I have three white mountain freezers that have been passed through 3 generations.

I was at a counter day that a local lumber yard had a few weeks back. They had two hit and miss engines that were each powering two 12 quart white mountain style freezers. Cranking out some gooood stuff....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,797
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.