Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
If the Model 94 is retailing for $1000, I can see the 99 being a few hundred more.. The machining is more involved and I believe it would take longer for them to recoup their initial investment. There are certainly people who would buy a new one, but most would be nostalgia seekers.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's apparently what's driving the market these days, partly because hunting is becoming more expensive, due to several factors. There isn't as much land open to hunting in much of the country, so hunters have to lease (increasingly expensive, especially east of the Mississippi), or increasingly crowded in the West, which means more hunters have to go deeper into public land to succeed. Which means either younger hunters, or hunters who can afford pack animals, whether on a guided hunt or DIY. But in general both mean older hunters, and fewer young hunters. Older hunters can generally afford either paying for access/leases, or guided hunts. Or, if they can't, they quit hunting.

Those guys might pay 1000+ bucks for a new 99, but why?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Perhaps this is a stretch, but I see BMW SUV driving, 30 something males at Cabelas on occasion, shopping for rifles and ammunition. They have some disposable income, and might be tempted to buy something "funky" like a Model 99, to show off to their friends.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Perhaps this is a stretch, but I see BMW SUV driving, 30 something males at Cabelas on occasion, shopping for rifles and ammunition. They have some disposable income, and might be tempted to buy something "funky" like a Model 99, to show off to their friends.

They'd pick an AR 9.5 times out of 10 before they'd pick a '99.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
The m-99 with the detachable mag should be that costly, not like a brass counter version.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And why would any retro-rifle guy buy a detachable-mag 99?

However, some newbies might but one is Savage offered a 10-20 rounds extended magazine, along with a digital-camo synthetic stock, and from-the-factory Picatinny rails....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That's apparently what's driving the market these days, partly because hunting is becoming more expensive, due to several factors. There isn't as much land open to hunting in much of the country, so hunters have to lease (increasingly expensive, especially east of the Mississippi), or increasingly crowded in the West, which means more hunters have to go deeper into public land to succeed. Which means either younger hunters, or hunters who can afford pack animals, whether on a guided hunt or DIY. But in general both mean older hunters, and fewer young hunters. Older hunters can generally afford either paying for access/leases, or guided hunts. Or, if they can't, they quit hunting.

Those guys might pay 1000+ bucks for a new 99, but why?

When you have discretionary income you can spend it however you want.

People pay close to $1,000 for Remington 700s like the NRA Hunter style, so why wouldn't other people pay the same sort of money for an annual limited run of Model 99s in classic style and chambered for classic cartridges. I think that a limited run of a 1,000 1950's style 99Fs in 250-3000 would fly off dealers' shelves, but my MBA emphasis was in finance and operations, not in marketing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would like for Miroku to build a 99 also with some kind of modification to prevent the tang crack. I wonder if owners of really nice collector grade 99s check their rifle after every shot for the tang crack. I don't understand why Savage didn't address that problem 100 years ago.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hoow much money would have to be invested in modern production machinery to make a profit on 1000 99F .250s.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hoow much money would have to be invested in modern production machinery to make a profit on 1000 99F .250s.

No idea, but if Miroku can make Winchester designs, there isn't any reason that they couldn't make Savage designs.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Not much if they had the receivers, breech bolts and levers forged and machined in South Korea. Probably need to place an order for substantially more than 1000 to get them interested though.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

Too much. If there was money to be made, and it was cost efficient, it would have happened already. The firearms industry isn't flat, but it's seen better days.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of the small pool of guys that would care to buy a 99, would scoff at one marked 'Made in Japan'.

Think of the huff over Portugese M70's with MOA triggers.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
And why would any retro-rifle guy buy a detachable-mag 99?

However, some newbies might but one is Savage offered a 10-20 rounds extended magazine, along with a digital-camo synthetic stock, and from-the-factory Picatinny rails....

And chambered it in 6.5 Creedmoor......

Somebody had to bring it up.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bry,

I avoided it....

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Not much if they had the receivers, breech bolts and levers forged and machined in South Korea. Probably need to place an order for substantially more than 1000 to get them interested though.

Ruger if you go by serial number so has only been making about 1500 #1s a year, and that’s got to be a lot simpler action to machine than the 99. And the #1 is pretty much the only higher end single shot in the US. Lots of other folks offering levers in hunting calibers (marlin, browning, Henry) and none of them are really setting record sales with them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I vote for the new Savage 99 to be chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, and it also needs some other features to bring the design into the 21st century. 16.5" threaded barrel for a suppressor. Flip up backup iron sights. M-Lok rails for a tac light, laser designator, and camera to record the shot and instantly post to social media. Mcmillan swirly stock in a lovely combination of lavender and brown. Nightforce ATACR scope, with 45 degree mounted red dot sight for close range work. Detachable 20 round magazine for competition use.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 07/12/19.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Ruger if you go by serial number so has only been making about 1500 #1s a year, and that’s got to be a lot simpler action to machine than the 99. And the #1 is pretty much the only higher end single shot in the US. Lots of other folks offering levers in hunting calibers (marlin, browning, Henry) and none of them are really setting record sales with them.

Ruger has been making them for a long time too. They are already set up to produce them. The prices certainly reflect the cost to produce.

I think the world has moved on from levers. The same will happen to bolt actions too.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Savage's biggest problem is that they've gone out of their way to make ugly rifles for decades. The 110 could be dressed up with a few simple modifications, starting with the bolt handle and the ugly screw in the rear of the bolt. Their stock designer should be fired, then shot and kicked into a roadside ditch.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
They've done a few things right. Their patents must make them some money. I was thinking of their floating bolt head, the Accu-trigger and how the barrel attaches to the action. Slowly, some of their designs (or copies of their designs) have made it to other companies.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 3,436 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,410
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.