F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
[Linked Image]

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Couple of 180 eld-m’s from a 7 wsm at 3050 FPS and dug from a pair of Mulie bucks. Both broadside raking shots behind the shoulder and into the chest. Both bucks dropped at the shot.

[Linked Image]

That’s said I still haven’t decided on a bullet for my Fosnaugh 7 RM as both the 175 eld-x and the 160 accubond are shooting well.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Here's a couple of cow elk pictures.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
A kudu bull just because.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Love those big kudu bulls elk.....I've only killed one bull elk in my life, about 30 years ago in N NM near Eagle Nest.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,nothing like a kudu bull,JG. smile

Wasting the afternoon away watching a waterhole from camp.
[Linked Image]

I have not killed a bull elk...yet. Maybe next year. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Couple of 180 eld-m’s from a 7 wsm at 3050 FPS and dug from a pair of Mulie bucks. Both broadside raking shots behind the shoulder and into the chest. Both bucks dropped at the shot.

[Linked Image]

This is precisely why I’m dubious about Amax/ELDs on elk.... if they won’t go through a deer on soft body shots.... they could be a rodeo in elks if big bones are encountered.

I’ve seen more Amax/ELDs recovered in Deer than all other bullets combined.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

This is precisely why I’m dubious about Amax/ELDs on elk.... if they won’t go through a deer on soft body shots.... they could be a rodeo in elks if big bones are encountered.

I’ve seen more Amax/ELDs recovered in Deer than all other bullets combined.

I concur about being skeptical to use on elk unless I know the distance will stay long.

In all fairness both of those bullets came out of big alfalfa fed Mulie bucks shot between 650 and 700 yds. Both bucks were shot 6-8” behind the onside shoulder and both bullets were recovered just under the skin in the chest. They penetrated well for sure but I was expecting them to exit as the only bone encountered were ribs and sternums.

I hunt various terrain so always like to hedge my bets towards getting exits if bone is encountered but still keep a good bc number for longer shots

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It's because the ELD-M are not designed or recommended as a hunting bullet. The 175 ELD-x is rated for elk and deer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KenMi
It's because the ELD-M are not designed or recommended as a hunting bullet. The 175 ELD-x is rated for elk and deer

I’ve used the (M) match bullet offering from both Hornady and Nosler. I’ve seen some nice accuracy from both bullets but prefer a more robust projectile for breaking down an animal. I would however not fret slamming one into a Blacktail deer that runs up to 160lbs on the hoof in my area...YMMV 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
12 pages of very to the point information about my OP. I especially enjoyed the picture of unopened magpul magazines. Very helpful.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
12 pages of very to the point information about my OP. I especially enjoyed the picture of unopened magpul magazines. Very helpful.

Yo' payz' yo' money
and
you take your chances.........

[Linked Image]

once you've made a post,

no telling where it will end up!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
18 hard charging hours of BS......

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We’re on the same page.... but knowing they didn’t exit at lower velocities.... means they probably won’t at higher velocities... especially if none is encountered.

As I said above.... the 6 Creed is an awesome 800 yard cartridge... tons of Steel Match types are shooting it for good reason. I mention that, because the BC and Velocity numbers are about identical to the 7 Rem running a 160 Accubond... both are about .540 at 3000-3100fps.

The buck in my picture above was the biggest bodied deer I’ve ever dealt with... both 160 Accubonds exited and did some serious damage.

If I were shooting deer/elk at 750.... I’d probably look for a little better BC.... but out to 500-600, which is really my limit on game.... I’ll take the 160 Accubond.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Personally I'm waiting for the moose, caribou, and dall sheep pics....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
luv to oblige, but those don't seem to inhabit the workin' man's leases I frequent here in Texas

[Linked Image]

decent Aoudad sheep, but it was taken with a 30 cal 180 gr. partition @ +/- 90 yds. IIRC. Hunted this guy for 14 months before I closed the deal.

[Linked Image]

center is a Texas Dall taken at about 15 yds with Smith M29 Classic and 240 Gr. Hornady XTP IIRC as he came running toward me.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/14/19.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
gedb that thing looks stout . what do they weight ?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
[Linked Image]

Can't afford decent targets? Not even paper plates?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
IIRC he was around 270 lbs.

I shot him at a place we called "Aoudad Point" . It was a remote spot at the back of the Rex Kelly ranch that back up to Lost Maples State Natural area. At the shot he ran over the ridge and down the other side, a distance of 50 yds. or so downhill. I walked up to him to try to turn him over to find the point of impact. I could not do it. I got a small trailer and hooked to my 4 wheeler that had a lift gate. I got my brother to go with me. I tied a rope to the four wheeler and drug him up to the top. Between the two of us we were able to drag him up the ramp and load him on the trailer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I shot one I deemed larger a few years ago, but I did not recover him. It was a cross canyon shot and was just over 300 yds. away and I was shooting a 308 Win, zero'd at 100 yds. I heard the whop of the bullet. He bunched the hit and ran straight down hilI. I looked for him off and on for a month, never found hide nor hair.

These are pix of the dude taken at a remote spot two months before I caught him coming over a ridge.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He was a stud. I sure hated not recovering him.

One more pix, just fer schitz n' giggles

[Linked Image]

I call this pix, "just some good ol' boyz".

I will shoot a ewe each year for sausage, but I've refrained from shooting a ram the last few years as I wanted them to proliferate. If I happen to see a good one this year I may just try to pop him!

ya!

GWB

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ChrisAU

Sometimes it is better to post a question like this on the “Ask the Gunwriters Forum” instead of this one. Way less drama there.

Last edited by Mike_S; 07/14/19.
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (907brass, AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 8 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,577
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.