Print Thread
Hop To
Page 65 of 79 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 78 79
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I wonder if people ever stop to consider what would have compelled the desciples to tell the story of Jesus, especially after seeing Him crucified.

I dont think think they were getting rich or much wine, women and song for it. Were they just such good buds of Jesus they did it to piss the govt and religious leaders off?

Seems to me that, like our forefathers, there was something important at stake for them to risk life and limb for. Paul gave up robbing, raping, killing and pillaging for a life of pain and misery.

You athiests arent interested in putting 2 and 2 together or you would see its the same for many believers on the Fire. You cant swallow that they know something you dont, such as what changed them.

Why would He and the desciples and we say so if it werent so? Are we getting paid for it?

I would not claim to know the motivation of any man.

Why did Joseph Smith do the things he did? it lead to his murder and that of his brother.

David Koresh died for his actions along with many of his acaccolytes.

Martyrs can be found throughout human history. And most for reasons less benign than attempting to guide the Hebrew church toward a kinder and gentler path.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by DBT

The priesthood did not know what to do, perhaps they would have been lenient..... it was God who ordered his death by stoning...

conditions being in the wilderness, one might think there would be some leniency toward the offender.... keeping in mind
Those Israelites who set out to gather manna on the sabbath were simply told to return to their tents...this despite Exodus 16
saying they were not even permitted to leave their dwellings on the sabbath,( to do so would be deemed a capital offence.)

So the Lord seems arbitrary in measuring out penalties.

now fast forward to the disciples of Jesus who were harvesting heads of grain on the sabbath,
and Jesus defends their actions.

Even worse, the words attributed to Jesus happen to be;

''Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.'' - Matthew 5:17

By fulfill it means to bring it to completion. When something is fulfilled nothing more needs to be done to satisfy it. His ministry fulfilled the law and its purposes and he began the institution of the gospel which empowered man to do what the law never could. The law could only show sin and give moral guidance it could not change hearts. The gospel changes hearts and accordingly their lives and gives them an understanding of scripture.

Until someone honestly and sincerely wants truth and is willing to embrace it the Bible will always be a mystery that they will not accurately interpret because their rejection of truth will not even allow an honest inquiry.

That's complete BS, AND YOU KNOW IT's BS.

Matthew:
5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

The Earth is still here.

Read the words on the page. You're as bad a revisionist as Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

You are misunderstanding the meaning of "Heaven" and "Earth".

If you knew the scriptures, you would understand that Heaven refers here to the priesthood and earth to the people.

Israel, in this context, did "pass away" in 70AD.

Tim

Last edited by Tarbe; 07/14/19.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by DBT
[

False analogy....The stick gatherer was not out to kill anyone. He probably just needed more wood for his fire, to feed his family. For which he was not forgiven or chastised, but killed..
.let those without sin cast the first stone!!?

Actually, what the stick gatherer was doing, was challenging the authority of the priesthood. (the governing body in a theocracy)

Tantamount to treason in any modern society, and a crime often punishable by death.

Good thing this country isn't founded on challenging authority and no one ever wrote out that challenge in a document spelling out their grievances...

The difference is that US law allows some challenge of authority. But those who challenge authority in a manner contrary to the law get put down. Often even before a court heard the case.. But that is just the US.

Most governments in today's world are not so understanding.

The British weren't very understanding of our Declaration of Independence either. Since they were going against the authority of the day, I hope our forefathers are not burning in hell for their disobedience to the ruling authorities.

I am sure the fault is in my writing, as you are demonstrably a discerning and learned individual.

But it appears I am not making the intention of my posts clear to you. I see no action of any deity in the matter being discussed..

I see a man gathering sticks in violation of the law executed by a domineering political system. Much like the peasants in Tienamen Square, or any worker who dared speak out against Lenin or Stalin.

No one is sitting in Hell becauseb Hell is a fiction invented by the priests to scare Ignorant peasants into compliance and keep the temple supplied with food, wine, and gold.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I will venture a guess. I figure it was the same reason i told on the fire of me and Buck Wright hunting early one morning in south Texas and having 3 UFOs fly over us. I had always wondered if any ufo stories were true. I thot it was important for people to know the truth in case a they ever encountered a similar event.

I figure they wanted people to know the truth about a much more important event. I figure they felt people should know the truth and the Good News about their creator and Jesus and forgiveness and everlasting life.

They saw something that precluded them from wanting the sins of others from falling on their heads for not warning them.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
[

False analogy....The stick gatherer was not out to kill anyone. He probably just needed more wood for his fire, to feed his family. For which he was not forgiven or chastised, but killed..
.let those without sin cast the first stone!!?

Actually, what the stick gatherer was doing, was challenging the authority of the priesthood. (the governing body in a theocracy)

Tantamount to treason in any modern society, and a crime often punishable by death.

Good thing this country isn't founded on challenging authority and no one ever wrote out that challenge in a document spelling out their grievances...

The authority of England was challenged on the basis of what the colonists believed to be a violation a moral code for just government. It was not based on a lone ranger shaking his sticks.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Point being, God never put pen to paper. Everything in the Bible came through the hand of Man.

And over the course of five millenia, man's interpretation of God evolved.

Even over just the last two thousand years, Man's interpretation of Christ has evolved to the point that the Church of 150 AD would not even recognize that which is taught today. Compare the teachings of any sect through the dark ages, compare the teachings of "The Church" through the Crusades and the inquisition to the forgiving, all inclusive, sodomite loving God presented today.

People claim, "Those were not real Christians."

But they were the only Christians extant at the time.

So, who is wrong in their interpretation of scripture, and of God?

Or, has God evolved as the priesthood has seen fit to maximize the size of their congregations, and keep the offering plate filled, as well as the priest's bellies.

Well, Christianity quickly splintered in numerous versions and offshoots. Adoptionism, Arianism, Docetism, Ebionites, Gnosticism, etc, etc.....

as was prophesied that it would ... but Jesus also promised to continue to build His church in an age of a plethora of deceptions.

So are you saying the majority of Christianities are "deceptions".

There's over 34,000 variations of Christianity. How many of them have it right, and how many are "deceptions"?

What I said is that the NT prophesied that the end times would have a plethora of deceptions and false Christs and in this environment Christ would continue to build His church. The church is wherever people gather and organize themselves and around the NT and follow Jesus' teachings. Actually I said that days ago as well.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That's complete BS, AND YOU KNOW IT's BS.

Matthew:
5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

The Earth is still here.

Read the words on the page. You're as bad a revisionist as Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

It simply means the law will be fulfilled before the end of the earth. The law has been fulfilled and earth is still here. It's pretty simple to understand if you make an honest inquiry, look at the context, and apply some common sense..

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

So are you saying the majority of Christianities are "deceptions".

There's over 34,000 variations of Christianity. How many of them have it right, and how many are "deceptions"?

It is certainly not possible for all 34,000 variations of Christian's to all be correct. And certainly not every variation of Buddiism, Jewery, Hinduism, Muslims, Pagans, Deists, etc, etc can be correct as well.

But it is very possible that they can ALL be wrong.

“The major religions on the Earth contradict each other left and right. You can't all be correct. And what if all of you are wrong? It's a possibility, you know. You must care about the truth, right? Well, the way to winnow through all the differing contentions is to be skeptical. I'm not any more skeptical about your religious beliefs than I am about every new scientific idea I hear about. But in my line of work, they're called hypotheses, not inspiration and not revelation”. Carl Sagan's Contact

Yes it is obvious they cannot all be correct. What is the basis by which skepticism makes a determination that none are true? Is it too mind boggling for a skeptic to seek truth? Perhaps its easier to dismiss them all and create their truth but never tell us the basis from which they establish their skepticism.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Jesus was in the Bible. Several witnesses concurred on what He did and said.

I reckon if God can make a mans hand He can make it print what He wants it to.

Iirc, Jesus was from Marys womb.

And a man can print what a man wishes to print and claim it for the word of God.

Almost twenty million people today accept the writings of Joseph Smith as gospel.

How are they different from the followers of Peter,, Paul, Mark, Luke etc of two thousand years ago?

A fair question but we have spent pages offering evidence that no other religious book can make.
1. clear moral guidance at the outset of alphabetic writing
2.Fulfilled prophecies on a scale that no other book can match
3. more manuscript evidence than any other ancient book
4. a claim and proof that Jesus lived as a man, was crucified, and rose again you can go back and read it all
5. ancient critics acknowledging the life and death of Jesus but not being able to provide evidence that He did not rise

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

And a man can print what a man wishes to print and claim it for the word of God.

Almost twenty million people today accept the writings of Joseph Smith as gospel.

How are they different from the followers of Peter,, Paul, Mark, Luke etc of two thousand years ago?

The biggest difference is we have much better evidence that Joseph Smith actually existed.

But we have no evidence to validate him as a prophet

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The British weren't very understanding of our Declaration of Independence either. Since they were going against the authority of the day, I hope our forefathers are not burning in hell for their disobedience to the ruling authorities.

Correct which is why we let that ultimately in God's hands. But they were not seeking to overthrow faith or morality, rather they were seeking to establish it on a higher level. They sought the wisdom and guidance of God in public prayer and fasting. They all testified that they would have lost had not divine providence aided them. A skeptic would never be able to establish a beneficent country like our founders because they would begin with rejecting God, His morals, and would create their own truth and reality.We know what happens when that occurs because that is what the Nazis and Communists did.Such countries commit atrocities with impunity because their is no moral accountability.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wonder if people ever stop to consider what would have compelled the desciples to tell the story of Jesus, especially after seeing Him crucified.

I dont think think they were getting rich or much wine, women and song for it. Were they just such good buds of Jesus they did it to piss the govt and religious leaders off?

Seems to me that, like our forefathers, there was something important at stake for them to risk life and limb for. Paul gave up robbing, raping, killing and pillaging for a life of pain and misery.

You athiests arent interested in putting 2 and 2 together or you would see its the same for many believers on the Fire. You cant swallow that they know something you dont, such as what changed them.

Why would He and the desciples and we say so if it werent so? Are we getting paid for it?

I would not claim to know the motivation of any man.

Why did Joseph Smith do the things he did? it lead to his murder and that of his brother.

David Koresh died for his actions along with many of his acaccolytes.

Martyrs can be found throughout human history. And most for reasons less benign than attempting to guide the Hebrew church toward a kinder and gentler path.

Martyrdom without empirical evidence is fanaticism. Martyrdom on the basis of verifiable truth and principle is courage.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I am sure the fault is in my writing, as you are demonstrably a discerning and learned individual.

But it appears I am not making the intention of my posts clear to you. I see no action of any deity in the matter being discussed..

I see a man gathering sticks in violation of the law executed by a domineering political system. Much like the peasants in Tienamen Square, or any worker who dared speak out against Lenin or Stalin.

No one is sitting in Hell because Hell is a fiction invented by the priests to scare Ignorant peasants into compliance and keep the temple supplied with food, wine, and gold.

I understood your post.

My response was for the benefit of the believers who are blind to the moral equivalence you draw above.

Of course I see no evidence for a hell either. It's just interesting to so see who bible thumping patriots can't see the consequence of their own interpretations scripture.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Also martyrdom that is based on courage because right now your side is winning is not on par with NT martyrdom which says I willingly die for the truth and if I had the power to take your life because we have a religious difference, I would not.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

No one is sitting in Hell because Hell is a fiction invented by the priests to scare Ignorant peasants into compliance and keep the temple supplied with food, wine, and gold.

I understood your post.

My response was for the benefit of the believers who are blind to the moral equivalence you draw above.

Of course I see no evidence for a hell either. It's just interesting to so see who bible thumping patriots can't see the consequence of their own interpretations scripture.

It is right to disobey government when God's laws are contravened. We obey government insofar as it does not contradict God's law.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The question is whether the government itself should be morally accountable to the governed. If you say it is not accountable, then all the governed are treated as Barbary pirates if they resist and the government operates without moral accountability.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Correct which is why we let that ultimately in God's hands. But they were not seeking to overthrow faith or morality, rather they were seeking to establish it on a higher level. They sought the wisdom and guidance of God in public prayer and fasting. They all testified that they would have lost had not divine providence aided them. A skeptic would never be able to establish a beneficent country like our founders because they would begin with rejecting God, His morals, and would create their own truth and reality.We know what happens when that occurs because that is what the Nazis and Communists did.Such countries commit atrocities with impunity because their is no moral accountability.

Our forefathers were children of the Enlightenment, which was a movement toward science and away from Faith. As mentioned before, a good many were at least deist, the equivalent of being an Atheist in their day, and Jefferson's personal version of the Bible was highly modified.....

As for your claim about skeptics and government, keep in mind, Philosophical Skepticism is not limited to theistic claims, but is a method to evaluate all truth claims. In their day, Skeptics questioned the claims of Plato, Aristotle, Stoics, Scholasticism, and metaphysical claims beyond theism.

The philosophies of Hobbs and Spinoza, were both highly skeptical, and the skepticism of Hume and Kant greatly influenced Locke. The society you live in today was influences by skepticism way more than you realize.

So how many times is God, and how many times is specifically the Christian God mentioned in the Constitution of the United States?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I understood your post.

It is right to disobey government when God's laws are contravened. We obey government insofar as it does not contradict God's law.

Not according to Romans:

Romans 13:1-2: "Obey the government, for God is the One who has put it there. There is no government anywhere that God has not placed in power. So those who refuse to obey the law of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow."

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

A fair question but we have spent pages offering evidence that no other religious book can make.
1. clear moral guidance at the outset of alphabetic writing
2.Fulfilled prophecies on a scale that no other book can match
3. more manuscript evidence than any other ancient book
4. a claim and proof that Jesus lived as a man, was crucified, and rose again you can go back and read it all
5. ancient critics acknowledging the life and death of Jesus but not being able to provide evidence that He did not rise

Repeating the same disproven claims over and over does not change the fact that your claims are not true.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Not completely, according to what I was taught in Sabbath School. One is always subject to the law of the land.

The best example cited is always the Sabbath. When keeping the proper Sabbath becomes unlawful, as it assuredly will because keeping a false Sabbath is "The Mark of the Beast". One will peacefully submit to any criminal punishments meted out for criminal infractions of that law up to and including death.

Thereby one's place in heaven will be assured.

Page 65 of 79 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (1lesfox, 160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,016
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.