Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 30 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 29 30
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My OCD had me wanting all gold rings in the safe..........but recent L purchases and other has changed that.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue
I see little reason to make generalizations about the whole, because of the few. However, differences in location and terrain, most definitely may make valid reasons for a different opinion on what works.

You easily make do with levers, iron sights and the .30/30. While all may also work out west, they are not the best option for obvious reasons.
All very true. I certainly don't need equipment that is capable of killing at 600 yards when there is virtually no chance of a shot at that distance where I hunt. I do however, resent the insinuation that I don't shoot enough or can't shoot well enough to know whether my scoped rifles are truly zeoed or retain zero. I am capable of shooting half MOA groups at 200 yards with my scoped rifles and regularly kill woodchucks at distances of 250-350 yards with them in the summer. In other words, my scoped rifles are quite well zeroed and I am well capable of determining that. I have virtually no need or use for any more precision than that here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MtBoomer,
Let me help you out here. The little red hen is talking to a cat, dog and a duck, about working with regards planting, growing, harvesting, taking to market, baking and finally eating wheat. The little red hen fable has no application to hunting optics, rifle scopes, Leupold, SWFA chickens or Texas.

I hope this helps in some way.

Bubba

Hilarious!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
MtBoomer,
Let me help you out here. The little red hen is talking to a cat, dog and a duck, about working with regards planting, growing, harvesting, taking to market, baking and finally eating wheat. The little red hen fable has no application to hunting optics, rifle scopes, Leupold, SWFA chickens or Texas.

Bubba

Hilarious!

Little Red Hen meets axe then pot...I was sure this was the bedtime story ending. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Blackheart
So if you use a Leupold you are a bubba? What do you consider a bubba to be?
I think it's anybody who uses any scope other than a NightForce or SWFA , doesn't twist turrets and lives/hunts East of the Mississippi. Only Western natives who hunt West of the Mississipi and twist turrets on their tactica; scopes can be truly skilled, knowledgeable hunters/riflemen.

It takes more skill to get up close anyway.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I think it's anybody who uses any scope other than a NightForce or SWFA , doesn't twist turrets and lives/hunts East of the Mississippi. Only Western natives who hunt West of the Mississipi and twist turrets on their tactica; scopes can be truly skilled, knowledgeable hunters/riflemen.

I'd guess most here could care less how you hunt, what you use, etc. If you were remotely honest about it you'd realize it's what you say and more importantly how you say it that causes people to dismiss any and everything you say.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I'd guess most here could care less how you hunt, what you use, etc. If you were remotely honest about it you'd realize it's what you say and more importantly how you say it that causes people to dismiss any and everything you say.
You know, I'm a member on several other hunting/shooting websites. I don't say the things on those sites that I say here but those other sites do not have the condescending ass holes found here. In other words you tend to get what you give with me.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Beaver10
MtBoomer,

Bubba

Hilarious!

Little Red Hen meets axe then pot...I was sure this was the bedtime story ending. 😎

Raised by a bachelor logger father. Bedtime stories and fables weren't a significant part of it. Poor little 'Boomer... shocked

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You know, I'm a member on several other hunting/shooting websites. I don't say the things on those sites that I say here but those other sites do not have the condescending ass holes found here. In other words you tend to get what you give with me.

I’ll play the devil....First, I believe you can and do shoot a hunting rifle well. I’m also fairly certain you can run open sights just fine when your hunting grounds lean towards iron sights over scopes.

Now, here it comes...The BS meter. Without trying to impress me or inform me that I’m your latest morning stool sample...

Why do you try to downgrade the Western type of hunting or equipment enhancements that not only help to take game, but help to do it in a better and more humane way,,,,most of the time - user error does happen sometimes...

We all know the Fire can be a free4all in both wisdom and BS. But, I have noticed, on many threads, you want to project your area of hunting and your understanding of hunting gear to be either more difficult in comparison to the West or the equipment used by western hunting standards as unnecessary, overrated, and those who use them are idiots who can’t hunt very well...

My post history shows an understanding and appreciation that everyone outside of my area of experience may hunt with different tactics, styles and using gear I’m either not familiar with or wouldn’t own, not because it’s schit, but rather it wouldn’t be as helpful for my type of hunting.

I do enjoy educating members who like to put on their hero outfits pretending they know more about my western hunting environment from the comfort of their couch never seeing or hunting in it.

Last thing BH. I’m also sure you have killed table eats with your Tasco, Bushnell, Leupold’s??? And iron sights. But could you run the same gear in my western country and be successful on a yearly basis? Maybe...Possibly...Depending on what you were hunting - timber versus high mountains with steep and deep canyons.

If you lived where some of us do, I’m confident your rig and gear would change to reflect what would help you accomplish your goal of filling meat tags...It’s really that simple...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m reminded of this.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I’m reminded of this.

[Linked Image]

I think the sights on Flaves rifle are far enough apart I may be able to see both of them. Where I've hunted for the last 20 years most people could get by fine with an open sighted 30-30. However I cant see both sights on a 30-30 even with a 24" barrel.

I think beaver 10 make some good points. I would like to go west and also far north to hunt. If I am ever able to do so I would do well to do as they that hunt there do if I want to be successful.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OTC Roosevelt Bull hunting with Beaver10.

[Linked Image]

The Leupold hat was worn as a joke.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Now you’re gonna scare BH....Don’t show him the rig you used. Big optics baffle the boy...Laffin 😎

“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Where's the feeder?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10

I’ll play the devil....First, I believe you can and do shoot a hunting rifle well. I’m also fairly certain you can run open sights just fine when your hunting grounds lean towards iron sights over scopes.

Now, here it comes...The BS meter. Without trying to impress me or inform me that I’m your latest morning stool sample...

Why do you try to downgrade the Western type of hunting or equipment enhancements that not only help to take game, but help to do it in a better and more humane way,,,,most of the time - user error does happen sometimes...

We all know the Fire can be a free4all in both wisdom and BS. But, I have noticed, on many threads, you want to project your area of hunting and your understanding of hunting gear to be either more difficult in comparison to the West or the equipment used by western hunting standards as unnecessary, overrated, and those who use them are idiots who can’t hunt very well...

My post history shows an understanding and appreciation that everyone outside of my area of experience may hunt with different tactics, styles and using gear I’m either not familiar with or wouldn’t own, not because it’s schit, but rather it wouldn’t be as helpful for my type of hunting.

I do enjoy educating members who like to put on their hero outfits pretending they know more about my western hunting environment from the comfort of their couch never seeing or hunting in it.

Last thing BH. I’m also sure you have killed table eats with your Tasco, Bushnell, Leupold’s??? And iron sights. But could you run the same gear in my western country and be successful on a yearly basis? Maybe...Possibly...Depending on what you were hunting - timber versus high mountains with steep and deep canyons.

If you lived where some of us do, I’m confident your rig and gear would change to reflect what would help you accomplish your goal of filling meat tags...It’s really that simple...😎

You do make some good points there. I have been all over the West. Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington and Oregon. Never hunted there. It is alot different than here. I do own rifles I'd be confident I could consistently kill game with out to 350-400 yards. Don't know if I'd ever change to a "dialer" or not but I doubt it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by Youper
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
My question was just trying to ferret more details from Youper. Since he hasn't experienced or noticed any issues, I'm curious about details like what model, age, rifle/chambering and whatnot. Does it get shot a lot, etc. Some feel that the older scopes are better, and that quality of production and materials went down. But others claim it's the design. Some probably feel it is both.

The three I've shot the most are: A 3-9x40 VX-II from 2005 on a .30-'06 for 2450 rounds, an M8 6x42 from the 90's on a .223 for 2096 rounds, and a FX-3 from 2007 or 2008 on a 8x57 for 1186 rounds.

Thanks Youper! Didn't think you were going to chime in on that. Might I indulge in one more question? What bullet weights do you mostly shoot in the .30-06 and 8x57?

The vast majority was 150 gr. with both rounds. I hunt with heavier bullets, but shoot lighter and cheaper bullets at the range.

If it matters both scopes are mounted with Leupold DD rings.

Last edited by Youper; 07/14/19.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Kingston that is too cool.... congratulations, killing a Roosevelt in a non draw unit is a worthy challenge..... then again Beav knows his chit.... well done

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by irfubar

[Linked Image]

Kingston that is too cool.... congratulations, killing a Roosevelt in a non draw unit is a worthy challenge..... then again Beav knows his chit.... well done

I had the time of my life! Except for the part where a 100lbs. of it was on my back, I felt like a kid again!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep and that 100lbs was just the first load....... them Adirondacks are tough mountains.... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thankfully, I’m not Beaver’s only friend and there were three others there to help! Between the five of us we got it out in one trip.

Page 17 of 30 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (1Longbow, 257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 56 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,992
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.