Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
pete53 - I can't say for sure, but I bet the Labradar will read a .25 cal bullet just fine. It is the small-boattail .22 bullets, and smaller, like John mentioned, that it may have problems with. My unit reads my .223Rem V-Max bullets perfectly well.

The length of the bullet doesn't matter. It is the size of the flat portion of the bullet's base that matters. If that flat portion is too small, there is not enough surface area to reflect sufficient radar signal for the machine to receive and read. That is why some boattail .22 bullets can be difficult, but most any flat base .22 bullet works just fine.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
thanks but i might as well wait now for the Generation 2 ? Maybe Mule Deer has some influence or knowledge when the next Labradar comes out ? i would sure hate to spend $600.00 and the next week the new one comes out and the 1st generation sells for $200.00 just to get rid of them. thanks,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 02/24/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Obviously, buy what you want when you want. Just to be clear, though, I have no idea when, or if, there will ever be a Gen 2 Labradar. My earlier comments were just my personal thoughts desiring an improved model. I have no special knowledge or influence with the Labradar folks.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes i understand but i own 3 Chronographs now so i have plenty already ,my other thought is maybe someone else in the world might make a new version that works as good or better too maybe even cheaper ?

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
pete53,

I still have four chronographs after selling the Labradar, but do you have a ProChrono? I have their cheapest version, the Pal, which I tend to use when snow makes setting up the Oehler a PITA. Have tested them together than the ProChrono gets just about exactly the same average result. The distance between the screens is much shorter, and it doesn't have the second "check" channel, so it's not much use for statistical analyses. But it still provides usable averages.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I’ve had a 35P for many years and have been extremely happy with it. Setting up is an effort but with practice I got pretty good at it. My club in Minnesota had a relatively small membership, and as a retiree I could go during the week so that I almost never had a problem waiting for a cold range. When I moved to Colorado, I was very lucky to join a club, but it has a large membership, is very organized, and is usually quite busy.

The upshot of this story is that I recently ordered a Labradar. I’ve unpacked it, but not taken it to the range yet. I read a lot of reviews before purchase. I am optimistic that it will work for me as I load cartridges from .257 Roberts up to .375 H&H. I’ve seen negative comments about aiming, but then others chime in that it is not awful. When the weather permits, I guess I’ll find out.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
JMHO, a rechargeable external battery is very helpful with the Labradar.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I got a rechargeable external battery as well.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Al,

Should work great for your purposes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by pete53
Mule Deer, have you heard or used this type of chronograph > Steinert Sensing System AS Super Chrono made in Norway ?

I tried 2 of them. They were terrible.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
pete53,

I still have four chronographs after selling the Labradar, but do you have a ProChrono? I have their cheapest version, the Pal, which I tend to use when snow makes setting up the Oehler a PITA. Have tested them together than the ProChrono gets just about exactly the same average result. The distance between the screens is much shorter, and it doesn't have the second "check" channel, so it's not much use for statistical analyses. But it still provides usable averages.

yep i got a ProChrono too i thought about using it ,guess i will try ? ever hear if a Labradar 2 is being made ? thank you,Pete53

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great article Mule Deer. I still have my Oehler Model 12 I bought back in the late '70s. I need to set it up one day to see if it still works.

Jim
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
pete53,

John,

I’ve had a Pro Chrono for years and have used it a bunch. Generally like it but have noticed it gives significantly differing readings depending on ambient lighting, even within the same day. Have you ever seen that with yours?

Lately, I haven’t even been using a chrono. Instead I put best guess velocity in Ballistic AE, shoot it at 800 yards and derive corrected velocity using the software function. It works extremely well.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Pact chronograph and bought my first one in the 80"s and really don't know how accurate it is. Mainly I use it to try and verify velocity when working up a new load. I know I can get by with out a chronograph. Once I settle on a load I will shoot it from 25 to 500 yards to see where bullets land. That is what I go by, where the bullet lands.

For most all Alaskan hunting the shot will be under 200 yards. My wife bought me a nice Leica 900 range finder several years ago for Christmas. Every year I have it around my neck. I keep thinking eventually I will have a shot that requires ranging, but.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hondo,

My ProChrono is very consistent in varying light conditions--but it's a recent model.

It's certainly much easier to "back figure" muzzle velocities these days, using software! And it certainly provides as much information as any of us really need.

I use chronographs mostly because of my profession, which pretty much demands it. Plus, it's a lot easier for me to test 4-6 rifles (a typical afternoon at the range for me) over a chronograph, rather than shooting them at various distances to obtain muzzle velocity. Then I test the rifles I may use at longer distances at the local 1000-yard range.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i do have lights for my pro chrono and 120 volts plug in at my 100 yard range would that keep it more consistent ?

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
You mean in addition to natural sunlight?

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow John
Missed this last summer. A great write up on the subject. Also enjoyed the posts of others with their experience.
I enjoy the bullet shooting, and shotgun sports and getting good numbers for those smoothbore shells is no easy task. Between shell to shell variability and the challenge of the muzzle blast and fast dispersing loads some "Adventures" have been Had....
Can confirm the use of known lot factory loads to "Proof" the work is indeed very helpful.
Thanks again for writing this one up.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You mean in addition to natural sunlight?

yes with natural day light also.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Don't think it would make any difference.

Have tested both my ProChrono Pal and Oehler 35P in widely varying light conditions with the same loads, and they're both very consistent, even with 17-caliber bullets.

John Steinbeck
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,817
Posts18,477,674
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.