Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ignore what ‘stick says.... and there’s some pretty good info in this thread.... like most threads he’s involved in.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by geedubya
IIRC he was around 270 lbs.

I shot him at a place we called "Aoudad Point" . It was a remote spot at the back of the Rex Kelly ranch that back up to Lost Maples State Natural area. At the shot he ran over the ridge and down the other side, a distance of 50 yds. or so downhill. I walked up to him to try to turn him over to find the point of impact. I could not do it. I got a small trailer and hooked to my 4 wheeler that had a lift gate. I got my brother to go with me. I tied a rope to the four wheeler and drug him up to the top. Between the two of us we were able to drag him up the ramp and load him on the trailer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I shot one I deemed larger a few years ago, but I did not recover him. It was a cross canyon shot and was just over 300 yds. away and I was shooting a 308 Win, zero'd at 100 yds. I heard the whop of the bullet. He bunched the hit and ran straight down hilI. I looked for him off and on for a month, never found hide nor hair.

These are pix of the dude taken at a remote spot two months before I caught him coming over a ridge.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He was a stud. I sure hated not recovering him.

One more pix, just fer schitz n' giggles

[Linked Image]

I call this pix, "just some good ol' boyz".

I will shoot a ewe each year for sausage, but I've refrained from shooting a ram the last few years as I wanted them to proliferate. If I happen to see a good one this year I may just try to pop him!

ya!

GWB

Those are some nice Barbary sheep!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd pick the one your rifle shoots best. That said, either is a bit overkill for deer and in my view the Partition is a better option for elk at all ranges, but the BTs are pretty stout now, so either way...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
If you had to pick one for Whitetail under 150-200 yards AND use the same round for Elk up to 500 yards, assuming both shot the same out of your rifle, which would it be?

160 Partition full charge of IMR 4831 in SAAMI 280 Remington or AI with CCI 200’s from the. AT 500. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Species evolution lags well behind bullet development.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya
As far as it goes, the 150 gr. Ballistic Silvertips seem to do just fine!

[Linked Image]

7 mag. 150 gr. Ballistic Silvertip (a two-fer)

ya!

GWB

Been wondering about this bullet. Just more confirmation that I need to just buy a box or two and give em a whirl.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There seems to be a bit of confusion on this thread so I thought I would help clear a few things up! I made a phone call yesterday to Steve Hornady because needless to say I was a bit confused at the vast difference in the way elds perform in the lower States vs Alaska. Turns out my suspicions were spot on! The elds that are shipped to Alaska come from a completely different lot # and are coated with hornadies new "armor plated spray" technology!!! Steve says they are currently being testing by a short little magic dwarf who also sprinkles fairy dust on the bullets further enhancing there "almost" unbelievable performance! There have even been reports of shooting at critters and completely missing and the animal still dies though this has only been sighted in the magical fairy dust incident!

I hope this helps clear a few things up and I wish the best to all you and yours this hunting season

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd say don't over think it.

I used to own a 7X57 which I loaded to pretty much identical velocities as most good 7-08s run. It was super accurate and was also forgiving as to powders and bullets.
I killed deer and elk both with it and for elk I used 160 and 175 grain Partitions and I killed one with a 175 grain Round Nose Hornady (not made anymore)
For deer I shot 160 grain partitions and 154 grain Hornady Round Nose (also no longer made) and 154 grain Hornady spire points.
I never saw anything to gripe about with any of them.

All elk were killed inside 150 yards and deer were killed from 40 yards out to about 450 or so. The 154 grain Hornady SP left me one bullet in a large mule deer I shot at about 375 yards as he quartered away from me. I don't think I ever recovered a bullet from any game with that rifle other then that one deer. So with 100% penetration on everything, and good expansion too, I had no way of improving on it's performance.
I am sure your 7-08 will do the same. I have seen nothing to make me believe the Accu-Bonds will not do as well, but if you want to go with the proven track-record and gamble nothing at all, I doubt you can get much better then the Partitions.

If that doesn't do it for any 7-08 or 7X57 shooter, I'd have to guess they need to learn to shoot better.

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1minute, 160user, 1badf350, 257 mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,326
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.