Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Who makes a decent dumb phone these days that's maybe even waterproof, but is NOT a smart phone? Easy texting would be a plus but not necessary. We've tried one so far but it was a total dud. The millennial clowns staffing the retail places cannot understand the phrase "not a smart phone" when making recommendations.

The boy could use a phone, but at age 12 a smart phone is basically a portal to hell.

Thanks

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jitterbug

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Had good luck with a few nokia's over the years , I'll be getting A PHONE when my stupid phone wears out due too verizon trying to force me into a new smart phone .
Might just get one of the 'buy the minutes used phones' I almost never use a phone now that my younger brother passed away .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Samsung Convoy...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i pay 75 a month unlimited everything, hot spot, with my i-phone, can't see paying almost as much for a dumb phone.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have an LG Exalt flip phone LONG obsolete, but available on the bay. It's on the pay-as-go Verizon plan for $15 a month. I use it so seldom that I have over $700 in air time accumulated. But it's there for emergencies and such. It's not text friendly, though. Just the old numerical pad. I dread the day when it dies and I'm forced to go to a smart phone.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An old IPhone off Craigslist. I had a dumb flip phone for years and I was the dumb one for not realizing what more a decent, yet older IPhone could be doing for me. Mine is a 5 series and it still takes pictures, texts effortlessly, rings, talks, spell checks, finds places, looks up stuff... The ATT flip phone didn't work at the lake, but the US Cellular 5 does. Rather glad that I finally saw the light and got with 21st century technology. Don't fight it, join it. If it is for the kid, you can put parental restraints on what they can access. I gave my flip phone to the wife's son for his girls to use in an emergency, but it went in a drawer never to see the light of day. A kid wants the electric devices and would be a laughing stock with a flip phone.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Check out the DuraXE by Kyocera. Very durable and sharp looking flip phone with lots of internal storage if your boy likes music or podcasts. Link below.

https://www.kyoceramobile.com/duraxe/att/

"A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.” - Frederick Douglass
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
Jitterbug

I'm bailing on Jitterbug. At his house ATT worked just fine for my son but my flip Jitterbug flopped.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Tracfone smart phone is plenty dumb.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
No, see he's 12 and has no need of a smart phone. Parental controls may be an option but I'll have to look into that. Nonetheless the idea of such money for an easily lost/broken item fails to generate enthusiasm. That DuraXE looks pretty good.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
3g service is going to be history soon....

3G service going bye bye

Edited to fix link

Last edited by logcutter; 07/15/19.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Who makes a decent dumb phone these days that's maybe even waterproof, but is NOT a smart phone? Easy texting would be a plus but not necessary. We've tried one so far but it was a total dud. The millennial clowns staffing the retail places cannot understand the phrase "not a smart phone" when making recommendations.

The boy could use a phone, but at age 12 a smart phone is basically a portal to hell.

Thanks

There's no technology being poured into flip phones in 2019 so you can forget shopping for an optimal version.

If you are concerned about his losing it just buy a pre-pay/burner phone from Wal-Mart.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
50 dollar burner phone and 25 dollar phone card

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
You can get a phone for free or nearly free from Tracfone but the minutes are kind of expensive.....so look at them and similar. Never heard them called "burner" phones but have heard em called drug dealer specials! I've used one for a while and beat the daylights out of several......they are pretty tough One of them fell out of my pocket while mowing and got ran over by my finish mower. Obviously that one did not make it but the worst part was I had to re enter the contacts manually but I was out less than $10 for a replacement.

I am one of the few people left on the face of this earth that does not massage the glowing rectangle. Doctor office visits are surreal.......everyone and I do mean everyone else is massaging the glowing rectangle. Hell, even social occasions. Everyone says hey how are you and next thing you know.....they are all sitting quietly massaging the glowing rectangle ignoring the heck out of each other. At age 54 all this amuses me. At age 12 I imagine not having your own glowing rectangle is going to be a character building experience.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No kidding. You could commit murder and walk out of almost any crowded place without ANYbody seeing you because they're all "massaging their glowing rectangle". (GREAT phrase, btw.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pabucktail
No, see he's 12 and has no need of a smart phone. Parental controls may be an option but I'll have to look into that. Nonetheless the idea of such money for an easily lost/broken item fails to generate enthusiasm. That DuraXE looks pretty good.
That's what I've got. Had it a couple and no complaints. I get no joy out of looking at internet stuff on a phone so I don't even want a smart phone. It is not inexpensive, but I've killed a couple of lesser phones by dropping them in water or otherwise getting them wet. This one has withstood water. It's military grade.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJY66
o l
I am one of the few people left on the face of this earth that does not massage the glowing rectangle. .

Well, here's another one. Got better things to do with my time.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Phones will eventually go full circle, just like cable went to Netflix and rifles back to 270’s.

Parking for horses is just around the corner too.....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I get laughed at from time to time because of my flip phone. It's been called a can on a string, etc...., but it does everything I need it to. Because of the others in my family, I might need to upgrade to a "smarta%@" phone before long, especially if the 3g is going away. I like a flip phone because you can answer one while driving without looking at it.....you just open it up and say hello. These newer phones require too much "fiddling around" to do anything on them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,304
Posts18,487,128
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.