Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Why are southerners still hung up on the Civil War?

No disrespect intended.

Carpetbaggers and reconstruction.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bingo!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If Stonewall had been at Gettysburg instead of Ewell on the first day Lincoln would would have been history in 1863

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
At least the south still has Florida laugh

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L

No disrespect intended.

Radical Reconstruction caused more ill will than the war. If Lincoln's plan for reconstruction had been carried out, things would be different today. Almost all Southerners understood that Booth's assassination of Lincoln was going to lead to great suffering in the South. There would not have been a KKK if not for Radical Reconstruction. The Klan was first organized to deal with widows and orphans. Since ex-confederates could not meet, the robes were originally used to hide identities. Sadly, the KKK quickly devolved into a hate group.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
My great-great-grandmother said the bayonet on an 1858 Springfield rifle was an excellent foraging tool for the troops from Ft.. Negley who occupied Nashville- - - -It was ideal for spearing chickens, ducks, geese, and the occasional young lamb or pig from the back yard of any Nashville resident they chose to prey upon during "reconstruction", Memories like that die hard.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
My great-great-grandmother said the bayonet on an 1858 Springfield rifle was an excellent foraging tool for the troops from Ft.. Negley who occupied Nashville- - - -It was ideal for spearing chickens, ducks, geese, and the occasional young lamb or pig from the back yard of any Nashville resident they chose to prey upon during "reconstruction", Memories like that die hard.
Jerry

LMFAO....Someone killed your great-great grandmothers goose and you’re still crying? GMAFB....everyone was starving, including the prisoners at Andersonville. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who needs florida?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
At least the south still has Florida laugh

We buy our orange juice from those guys.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

No disrespect intended.

Heritage and beliefs Roy....

and it had nothing to do with Slavery...

3% of the people below the Mason Dixon owned ANY slaves...

97% didn't own any.....but they believed in States Rights vs The Nation First....

Most of those soldiers who fought for the south were people who were just farmers...

they didn't leave their farms, homes, families to go fight and put their lives on the line for the right for the small few that owned slaves to keep them.....

that would make as much sense as the average guy like you and I, leaving every thing behind, and and go fight so people like Michael Bloomberg, Bill & Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Warren Buffet etc, could have a lot of money by screwing the rest of us over....

When I was growing up, it was kept alive for your heritage...nowadays white liberals keep it alive to make the black man a victim, and present themselves as the people who are standing up against it....where would the democRAT party be without racism being kept alive and creating of social discourse.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Who needs florida?

America Needs Florida....

its where old people go to die....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Seafire

America Needs Florida....

its where old yankee jews go to die....

Fixed it for ya!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H

No disrespect intended.

97% didn't own any.....but they believed in States Rights vs The Nation First....

Most of those soldiers who fought for the south were people who were just farmers...

they didn't leave their farms, homes, families to go fight and put their lives on the line for the right for the small few that owned slaves to keep them.....

that would make as much sense as the average guy like you and I, leaving every thing behind, and and go fight so people like Michael Bloomberg, Bill & Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Warren Buffet etc, could have a lot of money by screwing the rest of us over....

When I was growing up, it was kept alive for your heritage...nowadays white liberals keep it alive to make the black man a victim, and present themselves as the people who are standing up against it....where would the democRAT party be without racism being kept alive and creating of social discourse.

Along those lines there's a quote from a Confederate soldier to Union soldier; I don't recall exactly.

It basically said "I'm fighting because you're here"!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I have a couple of thoughts related to the War Between the States brought on by the thread about N.B. Forrest, and I figured the discussion deserves its own thread.
First off, I'm not a fan of Lincoln. I believe Lincoln brought on the war without trying to find a peaceful resolution to the conflict. He painted the south into a corner at Sumter, forcing them to seem the aggressor with no attempt to avert it. Remember, there were several southern states who hadn't seceded, but were waiting to see what was gonna happen.
Who knows, maybe with some statesmanship and some compromise, war might have been avoided.
With that said, I believe that Booths shot at Ford's Theater hurt the south far more than Sherman's March. With Lincoln gone, the radical republicans forced their idea of "reconstruction" on the south, which was far worse than what Lincoln had planned.
And while we're talking about Sherman, I believe his "March" prolonged the war, both in 1864, and in the minds of southerners long after.
The Confederate government's power rested on the Confederate Armies. Hood's Army of Tennessee was his rightful objective, not the farms and plantations of Dixie.
Had he pinned Hood between himself and Thomas and Schofield, and afterward reinforced Grant in VA, the war may have ended much sooner.
Thoughts?
7mm

First, I am a fan of Lincoln and born in the same state. Up river from Springfield. Finished high school in Wisconsin.
Lincoln did try to compromise and avoid civil war. He asked for compromise in his first Inaugural address.
He told the South to keep their slaves. He was more willing to a slow and gradual abolition to avoid war.
After the war Lincoln wanted to give free land out west to former slaves. But Booth put the stop to that.

But there was to be no compromise over firing on our flag. You can not that and not pay a price.
Lincoln was born in Kentucky, not Illinois.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Governments do what governments do.

The Founding Fathers tried to construct a Constitution that would prevent a large, central government from forming in their consolidation of states. They wanted the enumerated powers of the federal government to be subservient to the powers of the individual states. But it didn't last.

In fact, the federal government started flexing its muscle a decade or so after the Revolution,..which caused the whiskey rebellion.

Out with the old boss,..in with the new.

Yep, and Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, who were very close friends, weren't as friendly after Adams became President and Jefferson Vice-President.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No disrespect intended.

Have to be people like a Trump or a Koch for THAT to happen....but they'd have to tell us us they were fighting for us, and our way of life, and our sacred women...THEN we would believe them.

Rich people ALWAYS fight their own battles, everyone knows that.

Like first thing in office, tax cuts. immigration and border wall, not so much.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who will be first?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Jerry

LMFAO....Someone killed your great-great grandmothers goose and you’re still crying? GMAFB....everyone was starving, including the prisoners at Andersonville. 😉

The. I guess those a-s-sholes should have stayed home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore

No disrespect intended.

Have to be people like a Trump or a Koch for THAT to happen....but they'd have to tell us us they were fighting for us, and our way of life, and our sacred women...THEN we would believe them.

Rich people ALWAYS fight their own battles, everyone knows that.

Like first thing in office, tax cuts. immigration and border wall, not so much.

Leave the Kochs off that list for me.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

No disrespect intended.

Excellent post!!

The next civil war will be more about individual rights than states rights IMHO.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,928 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,533
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.