Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have accepted that I will go to my grave with much of parallax remaining a mystery to me.

Are you saying you don't understand it from the point of view of experiencing it, or the more technical aspects of what causes it and how to get rid of it or mitigate its effects?

The latter. I see it when I am am cozying up to my stock and getting settled in. I don't understand what happens in the scope when a fixed parallax scope has the parallax adjusted from say 100 to 50 yards. Or when the parallax adjustment is moved through its range

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The parallax adjustment mechanism positions the target image relative to the reticle image inside the optic. In a fixed parallax optic, the image of whatever is in the FOV at the distance parallax is set, will be in the same plane as the reticle image inside the optic.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I have accepted that I will go to my grave with much of parallax remaining a mystery to me.

Are you saying you don't understand it from the point of view of experiencing it, or the more technical aspects of what causes it and how to get rid of it or mitigate its effects?

The latter. I see it when I am am cozying up to my stock and getting settled in. I don't understand what happens in the scope when a fixed parallax scope has the parallax adjusted from say 100 to 50 yards. Or when the parallax adjustment is moved through its range

The goal is to get the image of the reticle and the target on the same focal plane. Apparently, it can be done more than one way. This is why there are adjustable objectives (move the objective lens fore and aft), side focus (which does it with another lens, not the objective), and the SWFA fixed power scopes that have the parallax adjustment where most variable scopes have the magnification adjustment (yet another way to do it.)

Probably the easiest to understand is the adjustable objective, and I believe moving the objective fore and aft is how most scopes that are parallax free at only one distance are adjusted.

I don't understand optics well enough to know exactly how it works, much less try to explain it, and much, much less in easier to understand terms.

There is also the trick Dirtfarmer suggested, although that probably works well only on a bench.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Place an objective lens so that it casts an image on a ground glass. In line, place an ocular lens of shorter focal length behind the glass, so that the image on the ground glass is magnified. This is your basic two-lens telescope. While looking through the ocular, remove the ground glass. Nothing changes except that the image becomes more crisp as the texture of the ground glass goes away. The point is, the real image formed by the objective lens is still in the same plane in space, whether the ground glass is there or not.

If that real image in space is in the same plane as the reticle, there will be no parallax. If it's not in the same plane, the reticle will move with respect to the image as you move your eye left/right, up/down. The parallax adjustment on an adjustable objective scope allows you to move the real image forward and back, so that it's in the same plane as the reticle.

Last edited by denton; 07/18/19.

Be not weary in well doing.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Is something we worry about more than necessary. Some quotes from a Leupold owners manual.

Maximum parallax occurs when your eye is at the very edge of the exit
pupil. Our 4X hunting scope focused for 150
yards has a maximum error of only 8/10ths of an inch at 500 yards.)

at 100 yards, the maximum error is less than 2/10ths of an
inch.) It is also good to remember that, as long as you are sighting straight
through the middle of the scope, or close to it, parallax will have virtually
no effect on accuracy in a hunting situation

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It is significantly worse than that at higher powers though - you can see this by moving your head around behind a rifle on bags, where there is a parallax error.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It can also get bad "up close", say 25 yards, if you are shooting very small targets with a .22 up close.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 24 invisible), 1,721 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.