Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My ancestors WERE slaves.

To the Russians , to the Nazis and to who knows who else over the centuries.

Maybe I should seek reparations ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Letters of Note
In 1864, after 32 long years in the service of his master, Jourdon Anderson and his wife, Amanda, escaped a life of slavery when Union Army soldiers freed them from the plantation on which they had been working so tirelessly. They grasped the opportunity with vigour, quickly moved to Ohio where Jourdon could find paid work with which to support his growing family, and didn’t look back. Then, a year later, shortly after the end of the Civil War, Jourdon received a desperate letter from Patrick Henry Anderson, the man who used to own him, in which he was asked to return to work on the plantation and rescue his ailing business.

Jourdon’s reply to the person who enslaved his family, dictated from his home on August 7th, is everything you could wish for, and quite rightly was subsequently reprinted in numerous newspapers. Jourdon Anderson never returned to Big Spring, Tennessee. He passed away in 1907, aged 81, and is buried alongside his wife who died six years later. Together they had a total of eleven children.

(This letter, along with 124 other fascinating pieces of correspondence, can be found in the bestselling book, Letters of Note. For more info, visit Books of Note; Image: A group of escaped slaves in Virginia in 1862, courtesy of the Library of Congress.)

Originally Posted by Jourdon Anderson
Dayton, Ohio,

August 7, 1865

To My Old Master, Colonel P.H. Anderson, Big Spring, Tennessee

Sir: I got your letter, and was glad to find that you had not forgotten Jourdon, and that you wanted me to come back and live with you again, promising to do better for me than anybody else can. I have often felt uneasy about you. I thought the Yankees would have hung you long before this, for harboring Rebs they found at your house. I suppose they never heard about your going to Colonel Martin's to kill the Union soldier that was left by his company in their stable. Although you shot at me twice before I left you, I did not want to hear of your being hurt, and am glad you are still living. It would do me good to go back to the dear old home again, and see Miss Mary and Miss Martha and Allen, Esther, Green, and Lee. Give my love to them all, and tell them I hope we will meet in the better world, if not in this. I would have gone back to see you all when I was working in the Nashville Hospital, but one of the neighbors told me that Henry intended to shoot me if he ever got a chance.

I want to know particularly what the good chance is you propose to give me. I am doing tolerably well here. I get twenty-five dollars a month, with victuals and clothing; have a comfortable home for Mandy,—the folks call her Mrs. Anderson,—and the children—Milly, Jane, and Grundy—go to school and are learning well. The teacher says Grundy has a head for a preacher. They go to Sunday school, and Mandy and me attend church regularly. We are kindly treated. Sometimes we overhear others saying, "Them colored people were slaves" down in Tennessee. The children feel hurt when they hear such remarks; but I tell them it was no disgrace in Tennessee to belong to Colonel Anderson. Many darkeys would have been proud, as I used to be, to call you master. Now if you will write and say what wages you will give me, I will be better able to decide whether it would be to my advantage to move back again.

As to my freedom, which you say I can have, there is nothing to be gained on that score, as I got my free papers in 1864 from the Provost-Marshal-General of the Department of Nashville. Mandy says she would be afraid to go back without some proof that you were disposed to treat us justly and kindly; and we have concluded to test your sincerity by asking you to send us our wages for the time we served you. This will make us forget and forgive old scores, and rely on your justice and friendship in the future. I served you faithfully for thirty-two years, and Mandy twenty years. At twenty-five dollars a month for me, and two dollars a week for Mandy, our earnings would amount to eleven thousand six hundred and eighty dollars. Add to this the interest for the time our wages have been kept back, and deduct what you paid for our clothing, and three doctor's visits to me, and pulling a tooth for Mandy, and the balance will show what we are in justice entitled to. Please send the money by Adams's Express, in care of V. Winters, Esq., Dayton, Ohio. If you fail to pay us for faithful labors in the past, we can have little faith in your promises in the future. We trust the good Maker has opened your eyes to the wrongs which you and your fathers have done to me and my fathers, in making us toil for you for generations without recompense. Here I draw my wages every Saturday night; but in Tennessee there was never any pay-day for the negroes any more than for the horses and cows. Surely there will be a day of reckoning for those who defraud the laborer of his hire.

In answering this letter, please state if there would be any safety for my Milly and Jane, who are now grown up, and both good-looking girls. You know how it was with poor Matilda and Catherine. I would rather stay here and starve—and die, if it come to that—than have my girls brought to shame by the violence and wickedness of their young masters. You will also please state if there has been any schools opened for the colored children in your neighborhood. The great desire of my life now is to give my children an education, and have them form virtuous habits.

Say howdy to George Carter, and thank him for taking the pistol from you when you were shooting at me.

From your old servant,

Jourdon Anderson.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I’ve got colored people that live around me now with the same last name as my grand dad from his grandads slave owning days my great grand dad sold 100 acres to them around 1920 1930 worst mistake he ever made it’s like a Indian reservation up there now

Last edited by earlybrd; 07/15/19.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i wish. fugg i could use some help around here.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Heck, my people were not much better off than slaves. They had the freedom to work like dogs or starve. The Appalachian Mountains were no cake walk in the 17 and 1800s.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by reivertom
Heck, my people were not much better off than slaves. They had the freedom to work like dogs or starve. The Appalachian Mountains were no cake walk in the 17 and 1800s.

You got that right...where my family farm is located.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not yet, but when I do I would like mine to be white, black ones are alot of trouble.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A very popular bumper sticker in the southeast went something like this:

"If great-grandpappy had known how much trouble they'd cause, he would have picked his own cotton!"

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
None here, I come from a long line of poor crackers.

My wife on the other hand, is a direct descendant of a notorious English slave trader so let's call it a wash.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nope, ancestors came over LEGALY through Ellis Island in the 1890s.

NRA Patron
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My grandparents were all immigrants from Europe or Scandanavia. Never owned slaves. Over here, anyway - who knows a few hundred years ago - it was a common practice for many people (including Native Americans, Middle Easteners, Arabs, jHebrews, Black Africans, various European tribes, etc. Doesn't the word Slavic come from the root "slave? Maybe not.... Dunno)).

If I have to pay reparations, I'm want a couple slaves in return.... and I get to pick them. smile

Pobably more bother than they are worth .....

Last edited by las; 07/15/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a couple of adult sons who claim I did. grin

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Wabigoon: Good luck with getting that "issue" to go to rest!
It will be thrown in the faces of traditional valued, non-negroid Americans long after I am dead and gone and long after YOU are dead and gone!
It seems that is all "they" got?
Your post heading brings to mind the bumper sticker I saw a while back here in Montana - the bumper sticker read simply - "WE SHOULD HAVE PICKED OUR OWN COTTON"!
Sad but true these things I post.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Our family has owned plenty of slaves, before and since the Civil War.

The family just have them pick cotton at night on the plantation...

fools the Yankees and Liberals...

They drive by at night and don't see anything, except some teeth occasionally...

its been working since 1865.......

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tpcollins
If we go back 200 years or so, I would think a big percentage of Americans today could trace their family history back to some relative that owned slaves.

That was then, this is now.

Not so fast!

Big immigration from Eastern and Southern Europe right before and after WW I. Poles, Slaves, Greeks, Italians etc. If your last name ends in a vowel, good chance that side of the family is clean.

I think I'll file a civil suit for damages inflicted upon my family from Pennsylvania who died freeing some black asses. Where's the repairations for that?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If people think the above post is stupid...

just compare it with how stupid, every black person in America is the target of by the liberal democRATS,
to think that conservative white men all owe them a lot of money, just because some black people were slaves in the south
150 yrs ago.....

I really wonder how very few black people in this country are descendants of slaves anyway....

they should be charging the neighboring tribes who rounded them up and sold them to slave ships down on the beach...

fellow black Africans are the ones responsible for blacks slaves making it to our shores...

but being Africa, they don't have much money... so they think every conservative white guy owes them something...

not hardly.... they owe us for all the welfare their fellow Brothers have cost white America, so they can sit on their ass and complain about stuff... like Colon Krapperdick for instance.... or Camel La what's her face... you know, the woman who is really descended from people from India... and isn't black really.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No slaves owned on either side of my family as they came to the New World and stayed in Pennsylvania, however my great great great great grandfather came to this country (1678) as an indentured servant so in a sense he was a slave.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my dad did ...me and my brothers 74- 80

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ezekiel 18:20 New King James Version (NKJV)
20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

Write this down before it gets pulled from the internet.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by night_owl
Ezekiel 18:20 New King James Version (NKJV)
20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

Write this down before it gets pulled from the internet.

Matthew 7:12

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (450yukon, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 14 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,379
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.