Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
This was late 80s. I was livIng in Minneapolis. Put ad in paper wanting to sell my Audi 4000 sedan. Some guy from North Dakota called and wanted to look at it. He did, drove it and said I’ll take it.
He came back next day with a bank check for asking price. I handed him the title and keys.
A week or so later he called and wanted to return the car. I asked why, he said he was being deported.
I told him no.
Last I heard of him.

NRA Patron

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Back around 1960, my father made a deal with an Italian stone mason to open him an account and Dad would give him free delivery on top of 30 day terms. Almost 60 years later, the company still has their account and is one of our biggest customers. It's now run by the guys son, who I just hung up the phone with. He's getting ready to retire and his sons are taking it over slowly. They always pay their bill on time and we still give them free delivery. They spend about $500K every year. That sounds like a good handshake deal.

Then there's the azz holes that we have signed credit applications with and the bastards pay slow, or not at all.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 07/16/19.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just sold a house on a handshake. The last truck I bought from Toyota was also on a handshake. I had to sign papers when I picked it up two days later but the agreed on price held up...If I cant do a handshake agreement with a guy I don't trust him...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought a new truck at a dealers one Sunday morning, on a handshake.

Got caught without a vehicle and needed to get back to work on Monday morning, in Illinois. Called the local ford dealer and met him on Sunday morning at the dealership. Told him what had happened, I needed a vehicle to get to work, and I wouldn't be back for a month. He said to pick out a vehicle and I picked the least expensive truck on the lot. Shook hands and I drove off in the truck. Came back a month later, made a down payment, and signed the papers to buy the truck.

The fellow sure helped me out of a bind.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A good buddy's father passed. Family became aware of a deal he had with another, somewhere above 200G still owed. No legally binding documents. Guy simply said he wasn't paying. Sack of chit.

Basically, we just bought our house on a handshake. Of course we had to formalize things for the financer (my end) but all steps were shook on and complied with. It was a big deal for us all and went without conflict. I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to deal with such good folks.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had a friend that wanted to sell a car. I put him in touch with another friend. The other friend and I went over to the first guys house to look at the car. A price was negotiated and agreed upon, both parties shook hands. The second guy came back a week later with the funds. The first guy reneged, said the car was worth more than the agreed upon price. I never felt the same about him. A man's handshake should be his word - nothing else is acceptable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a contract form in my computer but rarely use it for jobs I do. The State requires one, but as was noted above, between honorable people, it is not needed.

I recently completed a small irrigation install for a customer and told her I would do it by the hour, t&m, but would try to keep it under a certain price. I went over on the price, but honored my maximum. Later she says I must have picked up her scoop shovel while I was there. Nope. She was very particular about brand and all, and I just ordered her a new one and delivered it to her door. No, I didn't take her shovel, but I can see why she thought I did since it disappeared about the time I worked there. I wish I could see the look on her face when she discovers her old shovel and realizes she accused me falsely and I didn't even blink when offering to buy her a replacement.

Got a call Saturday that she had a leak in the system. I went over on Sunday morning to fix it, right in the middle of my two week vacation. She was apologetic but I apologized and said Hey, I'm the one that screwed up, don't apologize to me.

Got a call this morning from a company I did business with a few weeks back. I had a refund sitting there I'd completely forgotten about. They could have kept it and I would never have remembered.

There's still a lot of good people out there. If you're discerning and careful who you do business with, you can stay out of trouble most of the time. I worry more about the State of Oregon checking me on a jobsite and me not having a signed contract with the customer than I do any customer I decide to work with. In other words, government is a bigger problem for me than my customers.

*Disclaimer- Early on in business when I was about 25 I had a signed contract for 6 figures but neglected to get signed change orders for additional work I was promised I would get paid for. At the end of the project I turned in change orders totaling $32K and was told they would not be paying them. People can be bastards too.

LOL
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Back around 1960, my father made a deal with an Italian stone mason to open him an account and Dad would give him free delivery on top of 30 day terms. Almost 60 years later, the company still has their account and is one of our biggest customers. It's now run by the guys son, who I just hung up the phone with. He's getting ready to retire and his sons are taking it over slowly. They always pay their bill on time and we still give them free delivery. They spend about $500K every year. That sounds like a good handshake deal.

Then there's the azz holes that we have signed credit applications with and the bastards pay slow, or not at all.

Very cool, Stonecutter!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Usually how I do business.

Getting the short end of the stick is the rare exception, rather than the rule.

Liars, drunks and thieves flourish in my neck of the woods.

For the most part I've tried to be a friend and good neighbor . During my time here I've loaned $$$, tools and paid for services in advance. Can't think of anyone that has kept their word. Sad

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
My former business partner had a saying- - - - -"You've gotta screw your friends because your enemies won't stand for it!"

I thought he was joking. He wasn't!

He's gone now, and I don't like to think about where he's probably going to get to spend eternity!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Anything more than a few a canteloupes, I want some earnest money, notary, certificate of insurance. Buying or selling.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ya i just got screwed by some punk on a car deal. he haggled me down below where i wanted to sell it at but and i figured i would give him a break seeing as how he was a kid that was in scouts with my boys years ago. i told him i would hold it for a few days without any deposit and we shook on it. never heard from him again. i guess he didn't get the Trustworthy part of the scout law.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 19352012
The only people who require a paper are the ones you can't trust. They don't trust you because they know who they are and figure you are the same.

Keep believing that, someday you will learn different.
Ever say, "I just can't believe xxxx would do that to xxxx"?

You trusted them to behave better, and they failed you.

The "Con" in con-man stands for confidence.
You can't be scammed by someone you don't trust.
They earn your confidence first, then take your money.
The more innocent and sincere they appear, the more you trust them.

I have been cheated by a lot of people, friends, family, co-workers,
A borrowed buck, to what was a years gross wages once.
I try to trust people, and do the right thing, they don't always reciprocate.
It's on them, I sleep well.

Sometimes, you just trust someone, and d on't know why.

I was sleeping in my truck outside the Giant Eagle grocery warehouse, right
beside a housing project.
About midnight, someone beat on the bunk, about half scared i peeked out.
A big black guy was there, and wanted to see my bills.

Why.

He said, "Look. My old lady needs gas to go to work tomorrow, and we are broke.
If you could give me $20, I will unload you in the morning for $40 more. Thats
less than half price, but I need gas. Ask anyone about me, I'm Darcy, and I lump trailers
every day".

Well, I couldn't ask anyone, and this was going to be my money spent.

I gave the damn guy $20.

Then laid back down, wondering "Why in the hell did you give that dude money".

Next thing I knew, someone was beating on my truck again.

"Driver, get up, it's 6. I done got you a door, just tell them your Darcy's truck.

Still don't know what made me trust him. I never trusted anyone that gave me a SOB
story. Driving as a baby faced 21 year old made me a mark. Every-dam-day.
Glad I did, he needed the break.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had a storm chaser here last week. Said I needed a new roof. I looked it over with him and sure enough, I need a roof, hail damage. Dimples all over the roof. We agreed that he had the job after I contact my ins. company and shook on it. My word is good!!

Wifey checked the 'net for complaints against the company. Lotsa, and I mean a lot of complaints. I called him back a few days later and told him "not a chance are you doing my roof".

My word IS good if your background check is good. I did my due diligence. Probably saved me a giant headache.

He seemed like a nice guy, and was very professional. To bad he works for a crooked company.

Last edited by prplbkrr; 07/16/19.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just this afternoon I closed the sale of 100 acres of bare ground. Only paperwork done before closing was him giving me an earnest money check. 10 minutes at the title company and done.

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We bought our first house when we were first married and closed on it the same weekend we were married. We lived there for a couple years when my wife was offered her “dream job” which required us to sell it and move back to the west side of the mountains. Our neighbor at the time wanted to buy it before we listed it with a real estate agent and we agreed on a price and shook hands. We thought that $10,000 more than we’d paid 2 years earlier was a great deal for us. Over the next couple of weeks we had 2 other neighbors offer us considerably more than what we were selling it for and to top it off my wife got a call from another pilot that had tracked her down somehow because he had known about our house, where it was and what it was worth. He offered us $75,000 more than our handshake deal with our neighbors but we declined. Many people that knew us and that knew how much money we were leaving on the table thought we were crazy or stupid or both and maybe we were but I could sleep easy and look myself in the mirror each morning knowing that I wasn’t tempted to back out of the handshake deal.

We might’ve made a lot more money than we did but in the end my word was worth far more than the 75 or 80 thousand dollars we stood to gain. We were initially content to walk away with $10,000 and greed wasn’t going to change that. We sold it to our neighbor for what we had initially shook hands over and I stood by my word. I’ve regretted selling it too cheap but I never regretted living up to my word and standing by my handshake. Our children have heard that story many times through the years and I hope that it sticks with them throughout their lives. Your word is your bond and a man’s handshake is his promise.....to break either one is a reflection upon ones character, or lack there of. I want my children to have a positive example of what a man should exemplify and that BEGINS with keeping your promises.

I hate liars, cheats and thieves with a passion!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lastofthebreed
Had a friend that wanted to sell a car. I put him in touch with another friend. The other friend and I went over to the first guys house to look at the car. A price was negotiated and agreed upon, both parties shook hands. The second guy came back a week later with the funds. The first guy reneged, said the car was worth more than the agreed upon price. I never felt the same about him. A man's handshake should be his word - nothing else is acceptable.

"Friends" are the worst when it comes to reneging on deals.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A few years ago at the Tulsa gun show, about 1 hour into the show I made a deal on a rifle. No way was I gonna carry that heavy rifle all over the show for the next five hours and I was not keen on carrying it out to my car. I gave the seller $1000 cash and asked him to put it back and I would be back later to pick it up. I started to leave, but stopped and asked him to write my name on the tag on the rifle case. I never got his name. As I walked away from that table I said to myself “What the hell did I just do?” I walked all over the show and came back hours later. His partner that was helping him at the table spotted me approaching and cheerfully handed me the cased rifle.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Anything more than a few a canteloupes, I want some earnest money, notary, certificate of insurance. Buying or selling.

Maybe a small handful of grapes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
We might’ve made a lot more money than we did but in the end my word was worth far more than the 75 or 80 thousand dollars we stood to gain.

I fuqked up and did a deal like that one time, it wasn't for anywhere near that amount of money but I still shake my head at myself once in awhile but I'll never have to shake my head at myself for lack of integrity.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10ring1, 007FJ, 45 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,394
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.