Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#13964196 07/10/19
117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking forward to this season I'd like to get some rain gear that is actually generally waterproof. I am tired of the cheaper stuff that is billed as raingear but barely passes as water resistant.

It would go over a puff jacket in colder weather and stand alone if it's a bit warmer. Temps can run from 25-75 throughout the season. Not to worried about the wet when it gets warmer, mostly for the cooler times.

Color/camo doesn't matter as long as there are flat earth tones (though I do like Natural Gear).

Kinda looking for pants and jacket but the jacket is of course the more important item. I would also be using this for work in colder wet weather.

What's out there? What's the best tech available? What's serviceable? Won't break the bank? Durable?

I should add that it would probably spend a decent amount of time shoved in a bag.

Last edited by 117LBS; 07/10/19.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ECWCS Gen II --TruSpec H20 jacket & pants or mil/agency/LE issue equivalent.

https://www.truspec.com/outerwear/h2o-proof-outerwear - on sale on many sites. Get the pants one size smaller.

Very modest cost but high value. Durable. Waterproof. Rates as a "mobile tent".

Compare technologies, breatheability, water barrier rating, weight, **COST**, etc.

Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, North Face, Arctyrex, expensive snob brands, etc., etc. and equivalents make something for every purpose.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Durability? Grundens. But it takes a man to wear them all day at physical work.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yep. Durable stuff. Had a jacket and bibs when I worked at a sawmill on the river with log rafts in the PNW winters. Great if you are relatively still...very sweaty if you had to exert for more than a few minutes. Imagine they've improved their product line these days.

Pretty much ANY rain gear is problematic at keeping you dry IF you are doing physical work ALL day long.

Depending on temperature, one is almost better off having a dry change of clothes available as you will get wet from the inside when doing "physical work", even with the best rain gear.

I like Marmot's PreCip gear when having to cover lots of ground in wet conditions. There are more expensive, better breathing options. TruSpec parka under heavy rain, high wind and brush-whacking or camp standing around. Probably the modern Grundens would be good, too.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For cheap and useful quality, I have had good results from LLBean "Trail Model" raincoats. They are a 2 or 2.5 layer ceramic-coated nylon. Very light, relatively durable, and nicely made.

IC B2

117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Tru-Spec ECWCS stuff seems the most promising so far....

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Carhartt Shoreline jacket & bibs wear them horseback riding in the spring/fall, just the jacket in the summer, wear then hunting, when it's above 20 I wear them over a few layers snowmobiling in the winter. if it's raining the shoreline jacket/bibs are my top choice these days.

had a nice pair of the quiet material jacket/pants that were light weight great for summertime but the waterproofing wore out and can't find any similar material that isn't an arm and a leg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The Tru-Spec H20 LE parka allows easy access to a sidearm. Quiet material, too.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Do a search especially on the Alaska forum. Best buy military surplus two layer gore tex. Best pack jacket I have used Marmot Precip and Cabelas MT50 50.

This looks good: https://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-millerton-jacket-mens?CMP_SKU=TNF053Y

I am sure the Sitka and most of the Mountaineering ones are good. All the single layer ones you will be wet either from the inside or the outside. The ones made for commercial fisherman by Grundens, Helly Hanson and others will keep you dry but are heavy. Also some are noisy.

I have had pretty good luck with the Kings Outdoors weather proof line, a three layer membrane type.

A two layer Gore Tex is fairly good but will still fail at some point so all of them are trade offs. I would get a two layer Gore Tex jacket with pit zips and all the features and then for really staying dry I would get one of the commercial or yachting types. Helly Hanson Impertech is a good compromise, sweaty and not that durable but good at not soaking through. My favorite is Ventile cotton but it is expensive, heavier than the light weights and will soak through eventually if it doesn't have an additional cape, but it is a pleasure to wear and the best for not getting wet from the inside. If I am just going to sit out under a tree in the rain I will wear the waxed cotton with a poncho over all to keep the rifle and pack dry.
I can last most of the day doubled up like this and the poncho obscures your form, deer have walked up to me within feet trying to figure out what I was.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
B
My rain gear spends most of it's time packed away, couldn't justify buying a 600$ Kuiu suit for that! I've had really good luck with Frogg toggs believe it or not, I have a cheap ultra lite set and a fancy 60$ all sport camo set. I've never worn them above 50 degrees so I cannot speak on their breathabilty, but I have been happy with their waterproof/windproofing and pleasantly surprised by their durability. The weight is definitely acceptable. Last elk hunt we were surprised by the unseasonally low temperatures and the 2 feet of snow that got crapped upon us the first day. Ended wearing my Frogg toggs almost everyday, all day for 8 days as a snow suit and the only issue I had was the bottoms of the pants were eaten up by my gaiters. I use the jacket sometimes when stopped in freezing windy weather over a puffy, helps a lot 👍👍

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Brian23456
My rain gear spends most of it's time packed away, couldn't justify buying a 600$ Kuiu suit for that! I've had really good luck with Frogg toggs believe it or not, I have a cheap ultra lite set and a fancy 60$ all sport camo set. I've never worn them above 50 degrees so I cannot speak on their breathabilty, but I have been happy with their waterproof/windproofing and pleasantly surprised by their durability. The weight is definitely acceptable. Last elk hunt we were surprised by the unseasonally low temperatures and the 2 feet of snow that got crapped upon us the first day. Ended wearing my Frogg toggs almost everyday, all day for 8 days as a snow suit and the only issue I had was the bottoms of the pants were eaten up by my gaiters. I use the jacket sometimes when stopped in freezing windy weather over a puffy, helps a lot 👍👍

I go with frog togs as well. Served my needs quite well.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anything that is going to be bulletproof and 100% waterproof is going to weigh a ton and need a pack animal to carry around. I have one of the Tru-spec jackets, it is great when riding the ATV or in a boat. Too much to carry around in my pack when hunting. If it is cold enough to be a problem you won't see rain, it'll be snow and you're more concerned about blocking the wind anyway.

I have a set of these.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cab...-with-MOST-DRY-PLUS/1618370.uts?slotId=1

So far no leaks, although I don't expect them to be as rugged as heavier gear. I like that the fabric stretches and they fit into a stuff sack smaller than a softball. Weight is next to nothing.

If cost is a concern and camo is not the jackets made by Red Ledge are a bargain. They are light, pack small, and simply work for around $30-$40.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Ledge-Thunderlight-Parka-Jacket/dp/B002ZG78J8

Last edited by JMR40; 07/14/19.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use the Bass Pro Bone Dry jacket and pants.Any thing lighter gets torn up pretty quick walking thru brush or sage . Even kneeling in grass put holes in them.When you sacrifice function for weight, most of the time you will be dissatisfied.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Toggs was the quick/easy/cheap option I saw but some things about them seemed worrisome. Mostly how thin they are and the fact that they don’t claim “waterproof”, but “highly water resistant” made me want something “better”.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I got a Carhartt storm defender coat that's not insulated so it can be layered, or worn alone. I think it's probably the best rain coat I've used. I keep sets of froggtogs stashed just in case but don't use them as primary gear.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If Carhartt-style coats work for you and you like them, then you can "rainproof" any of them by buying a can of "super-hydrophobic durable water repellant." It is around $20 to treat one coat, but it makes them all shed water except in the very heaviest downpours.

I have gone to this setup also when hunting anywhere that I don't need the absolute lightest setup. It is much more comfortable and adaptable than other setups I have.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spend about 90% of my time working outside and I wear grundens. However I wouldn't want to hike around in them because they don't breathe. I have a set of helly hanson impertech that I wear in cool weather but again, they don't breathe. Lastly I got a set of Kryptek raingear and I like it a lot. Goretex does have its limitations and it isn't as durable as the pvc raingear will be, but its a trade off. The last goat I packed out it rained for 2 days straight and my Kryptek kept me pretty dry. I was happy with it. Sitka gear and Kuiu is nice stuff but its expensive and not really worth the extra $$ in my opinion.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We got a couple of downpour drenchings fishing in Canada this year and my Gore-Tex stuff let me down pretty convincingly. Gore-Tex is a thin membrane that wears out over time. It might have been okay in a light rain, but not what we had. My buddies in my and the other boat with the non insulated Cabela's Guidewear stayed perfectly dry in the same weather.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Impertech is the way to go but it will take a bit of room in a pack but it will keep you dry. Westcomb with eVent is killer stuff but comes with a killer price tag.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,655
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.