Print Thread
Hop To
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Scatching my head here, working with a 300 win mag. Once fired hornady brass fired in this rifle and closes as you would expect just snug, Full length resise and the same brass closes very difficult? I have another small base die set and full length size with it and the rifle closes easier but still more difficult than the fired non formed brass. Any idea what is happening with the brass on reforming? He rifle is a custom shop rem 700 might the chamber just be really tight?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The LAST thing you wanna do,is to FL size,less a series of VERY good reasons. Congratulations?!?

Headspace the shoulder and do NOT relocate it,until mandated.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A 300 WM spaces off the belt, so I am guessing that the brass is soft and when your resizing it that the expander ball is pulling the shoulder forward and causing it to be tight in the chamber.
Easy way to check is take a case gage (if you don't have one, take a 40 cal. pistol case and put it over the 300 case where the two case head stamps are opposing each other) and measure it. Now resize and repeat. If the measurement is longer then you have your answer.
You can also remove your expander and resize a piece of brass and see what happens.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ummmmm...O/F brass from said rifle,headspaces the shoulder. Playing butt tickle ain't the answer,but backing the Sizer away from case holder ASSUREDLY is. Color the neck and shoulder juncture. Set die to catch most of the neck,less touching the shoulder and you are there,every fhuqking time.

If/when you GOTTA touch a shoulder,do so as little as possible,to retain headspace.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Expander balls often take the rap for pulling shoulders forward, but most often it's the die sizing the body of the case that's squeezing the brass forward. It's easy to demonstrate by sizing without the ball as you mentioned.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ctw
Scatching my head here, working with a 300 win mag. Once fired hornady brass fired in this rifle and closes as you would expect just snug, Full length resise and the same brass closes very difficult? I have another small base die set and full length size with it and the rifle closes easier but still more difficult than the fired non formed brass. Any idea what is happening with the brass on reforming? He rifle is a custom shop rem 700 might the chamber just be really tight?

Have you checked the overall length after sizing?

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I resize down to the neck/shoulder junction only on all 30 cal bottle neck casings used in bolt action rifles using a 32ACP die and a Lyman "M" die. I've yet to have any chambering problems but if I were to I'd just use Stick's procedure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm never not AMAZED,at how a simplistic Sizing die stumps everybody. Congratulations?!?

Bless your hearts.

Hint................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depending on bottlenecked case geometry, the shoulder will tend to move forward as the case nears full insertion into the die. If you cannot force the case far enough into the die, then you may end up with it being difficult to close the bolt on it.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh my...now a Texan is going to TRY. Congratulations?!?

I'm fhuqking crying,I'm laughing soooooooooooooo fhuqking hard!!!

Here's to the Perpetual HILARITY of you Dumb Fhuqks,doing your BEST and "boldly" taking STUPIDITY to places it's never been before!

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In fairness however and coming full circle,Hornady does make THE schittiest/softest brass there is.

Hint...................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's easily verifiable, Stick. But...errrrrr, wait a minute---I learned this while living in Utah and it has turned out to be true in Idaho and Texas too. Could be that it all works different in Alaska.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In 100's and 100's of barrels,I've yet to have a die stump me. Congratulations?!?

Finite CONTROL of headspace,is the focus and everyone is CLUELESS there. Funny schit!

Bless your hearts.

Hint.

Laughing!.................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, it's a headspace thing. And it has everything to do with setting up a FL die (if you insist on using one) or a body die. Fact is, shoulders will flow forward when using either type and the case must be inserted far enough to bump the shoulder back a bit.

Try setting up a FL die where the shell holder is shy of 5 or 10 thousandths shy of the bottom of the die. Measure head to shoulder on a fired case and chamber it in the rifle to get a feel for bolt closure, then run it up into the die set up as described and measure again, AND check it in the rifle's chamber for the feel of bolt closure. It's perfectly predictable.

The same thing should happen with a body die.

Who's stumped?

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You!

LAUGHING!

Wow +P+++.

Hint................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Expander balls often take the rap for pulling shoulders forward, but most often it's the die sizing the body of the case that's squeezing the brass forward. It's easy to demonstrate by sizing without the ball as you mentioned.

I can demonstrate this phenomenon with the 8x57 cases I make from .30-'06. The case as formed without an expander ball will gage, but with the ball they are long.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stupor,

Try lubricant. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mathman

Yep.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use a Redding bushing or Lee collet die.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
http://larrywillis.com/

This die will get the bulge off the belt and should fix the problem.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.