Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I started shopping at Scheels when it was a hardware store with a great sporting goods department. Most of my early gun purchases where made there, then i moved away from the area they service. Much better than Cabelas.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by Remsen
If you remember back when Cabela's was worth a stop, that's what Scheel's still is. The first time I went to Scheel's (in Billings, MT) I was actually on my way to Cabela's, Haven't been to a Cabela's since.

Scheels has a lot of non-outdoor sports equipment, sports team memoribilia, bicycles, butt loads of women's clothing. So not exactly like Cabela's in the 90s. But still a great store.

I think that they are a little light on selection of guns (the "here's what we have" instead of "what do you want" syndrome. Prices are high. Still a good store. As mentioned above, they carry a lot of non-shooting/hunting things; which I don't see as a bad thing. I get a lot of Christmas/Birthday presents for the grandsons there.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
The Fargo Scheels is quite impressive.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I probably buy 2 or 3 used firearms from the Scheel's in Omaha annually. I run through Scheel's every couple of weeks to look at the used rifles. There are occasional deals in both new and used firearms, but once a price is set I don't recall ever seeing a used firearm discounted, no matter how long the items has been in the rack. The retail prices for new firearms seems to be between 15% and 20% above small dealer wholesale. Scheel's prices for used firearms is typically lower than at Cabela's., but they seem to be priced inconsistently, some being higher than you'd expect and some being lower without any obvious logic.

I think that Cabela's has gone to hell since being bought by BPS. The quality of items has dropped off and that's saying something about stuff that is mostly made in China, customer service in the store is almost invisible, and maybe worse, when you find a clerk they just don't seem to know anything and they don't seem to care. I tried to buy a pair of split-ring pliers at the local Cabel's today and although they might have had them in stock, the person who tried to help me didn't know what split-ring pliers were used for and seem relieved when I told him that if he couldn't find them, I'd order a set on line.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Scheel's built what was then their flagship store in Salt Lake City (It might still be.) Huge store - large enough to have a walk-through aquarium and a full-size indoor Ferris wheel.

It's about a 75-mile drive for me, and I'd have to go past two Sportsman's Warehouses and a Cabela's to get there. Too far to pick up a few fishing lures. But when I'm nearby, I usually go in, and if I go in, I come out with a cart full of stuff. They even have a better than decent cafeteria.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
The best thing about Scheels is their price match policy. They will match ANY advertised price as long as the item is in stock.

I love taking the Cabela's flier into Scheels when they have the blowout sales. Got a set of Vortex binos for a song and they didn't even blink at the price!

Elk Country

Last edited by elkcountry; 07/16/19.

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I love Scheels.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bought at different Scheels over the years. Seems like their prices seem to be a bit higher than Cabela's, but they might be improving on that. Bought a few used guns from a few different stores, but their used gun racks are always much smaller than a typical Cabela's store. Last time I sold a gun to them, they gave one amount in store credit if you were trading it in, or a lower amount if you wanted cash (15% less I think). Cabela's just gives cash, no playing with "store credit gets you more".

I have gotten discounts on used guns before at Scheels quite a few times, but last time I asked if they could drop the price (a couple years ago) I was told they don't do that and they've never done that and I'm a liar if I say they ever did. Okay then...

And last I knew they charge about $50 for a FFL transfer, and the seller/shipper must be an FFL (because it's illegal for a non-FFL to ship a rifle according to them).

In short.. if they have something I want I'll buy it. Lot of reloading equpment over the years, lures, etc. But at the stores locally I expect about as much customer service or knowledge out of the employees as I do at the average Walmart.

Last edited by Calhoun; 07/16/19.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are not in the class of Cabela's or BPS. About on a par with Gander Mountain. Sportsman's wouldn't be as good as Scheels, nor would Academy. All have their place. No Sportsman's or Ganders around here anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They cover a lot of ball-and-biking sports also but have a much higher-end line of clothes than the Redhead stuff of BPS now. Lots of fishing, camping gear, bow hunting, and guns though seem to limit those to certain lines; and that’s very true for their optics also. But some nice “high end” guns too.

All-in-all, very good quality stuff if priced somewhat higher in some dept’s. At least in Sioux Falls, SD you cannot browse very long before someone is there to help you.

A far, far cry from the “Cabelas-BPS” I was in a couple of weeks ago, in that there is a much wider variety and clothes from hunting to casual to sports in good name-brand stuff in Scheels.

The one in SF, SD has a Ferris wheel for the kids and some shooting gallery-type games also. It’s expanded four times in about forty years which is pretty significant.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 07/16/19.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Forgot.. I do have to give Scheels credit on stocking a variety of new firearms. I think their selection is larger than the local Cabela's. They also have a gunsmithing service - it's remote and involves shipping both ways, but they do have it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Each store has a general run of products, however, each store is also individually managed in-house so they're not dependent upon some centralized ordering system to bring in products that are specialized to a certain area of the country. Local decisions/inventory for local activities, in that way, each store can be very different. For instance, the store in Sioux Falls, SD carries lots of stuff for upland bird hunting that you won't find in Grand Forks, ND. Grand Forks carries a bunch of specialized catfish gear, Bismarck ND store doesn't. Etc, Etc, ETc.

I worked in a Scheels store during college (20yrs ago). I loved working for them, they do a whole bunch of things the right way. They spend a LOT of $$ sending employees to multiple product and customer service training sessions/yr.

Pricing will be in-line w/local competitors. Used gun pricing follows the Blue Book of Gun Values fairly closely most of the time, say +/- 10% on average for run-of-the-mill stuff that people hunt/shoot regularly. Collectable stuff will vary more both up and down from the Blue Book based upon condition. Like any store, there will be hidden gems and stuff that makes you shake your head. Sometimes they don't know or realize what they've got and other times, they pay too much for something that wasn't worth it, but, those are outliers. Day in and day out pricing will be fair for the most part.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Scheel's built what was then their flagship store in Salt Lake City (It might still be.) Huge store - large enough to have a walk-through aquarium and a full-size indoor Ferris wheel.

It's about a 75-mile drive for me, and I'd have to go past two Sportsman's Warehouses and a Cabela's to get there. Too far to pick up a few fishing lures. But when I'm nearby, I usually go in, and if I go in, I come out with a cart full of stuff. They even have a better than decent cafeteria.

Billings has the same setup.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
They are not in the class of Cabela's or BPS. About on a par with Gander Mountain. Sportsman's wouldn't be as good as Scheels, nor would Academy. All have their place. No Sportsman's or Ganders around here anymore.

There are quite a few cities in the upper mid-west that used to have both Scheels and Gander. The Scheels stores are still there, Gander is not. Same thing could be said for the majority of the cities in which Sportsman's Warehouse tried to come in and compete.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
They are not in the class of Cabela's or BPS.

What do you mean by that?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by elkcountry
The best thing about Scheels is their price match policy. They will match ANY advertised price as long as the item is in stock.

+1 on the price match.
Got a great deal on an ice drill when they matched an advertised on-line price in Billings MT.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never heard of Scheels... are they just up north?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Oldman3

Plano TX would be the closest store to you. They started out over 100yrs ago in ND/MN and have steadily worked their way out from there. MT, WI, IA, KS, CO, UT, and TX.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Mostly upper Midwest. Illinois/Wisconsin to the east, Utah to the west, only one store south of northern Missouri. One store in Nevada.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Randy, YUP....furthest south I've ever seen one was in Reno...

we had em in MN and out in the Dakotas...

I never thought they were anything special....I'd say you're not missing much..

kinda like a glorified Dick's Sporting Goods.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,499
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.