Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Scheels does great things for the communities they are in.

They also have a very nice line of fishing rods with their name on them that are lifetime warranty. Scheels Tournament series / Guide series etc. I had a cooler slide to the front of the box in my truck once and snap 2 of my rods. I brought them into Scheels and they replaced them, no questions asked.

Sportmans WH and Gander have both closed their doors here and Scheels remains very strong.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
They are not in the class of Cabela's or BPS. About on a par with Gander Mountain. Sportsman's wouldn't be as good as Scheels, nor would Academy. All have their place. No Sportsman's or Ganders around here anymore.

lol

Scheels blows all of them out of the water. ESPECIALLY Gander Mountain by a wide margin.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Never heard of Scheels... are they just up north?

I never thought they were anything special....I'd say you're not missing much..

kinda like a glorified Dick's Sporting Goods.

By all means, let me know when you see baseball, softball, football, soccer, hockey, and indoor/outdoor shooting facilities all w/Dick's Sporting goods names on them. Scheels has all of that, and they've contributed large sums of $$ to shooting facilities that don't bear their name as well.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by horse1

By all means, let me know when you see baseball, softball, football, soccer, hockey, and indoor/outdoor shooting facilities all w/Dick's Sporting goods names on them. Scheels has all of that, and they've contributed large sums of $$ to shooting facilities that don't bear their name as well.

And they don't actively push for gun control like Dick's does.

Last edited by Calhoun; 07/16/19.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Randy, YUP....furthest south I've ever seen one was in Reno...

we had em in MN and out in the Dakotas...

I've never been in a Dick's that sold used firearms and that is the most interesting aspect of retail gun sellers for me.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Randy, YUP....furthest south I've ever seen one was in Reno...

we had em in MN and out in the Dakotas...

Maybe in Oregon.

The ones I frequented in Montana were tough to beat.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve been in Scheels in Kansas City, Appleton, WI, and Sandy, Utah. Haven’t bought a ton of stuff, but it’s all been good. House brand ultralight rod, some wool clothing, bricks of .22s. They carry quality name brands. The guns they carry are a level above what Academy carries. Some entry level stuff but also Browning and Beretta over unders, Caeser Guerrini as well. I was disappointed in lack of wood stocked rifles like Winchester 70s or Ruger 77s. I also know I’m in the minority in my preferences.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I’ve been in Scheels in Kansas City, Appleton, WI, and Sandy, Utah. Haven’t bought a ton of stuff, but it’s all been good. House brand ultralight rod, some wool clothing, bricks of .22s. They carry quality name brands. The guns they carry are a level above what Academy carries. Some entry level stuff but also Browning and Beretta over unders, Caeser Guerrini as well. I was disappointed in lack of wood stocked rifles like Winchester 70s or Ruger 77s. I also know I’m in the minority in my preferences.

Their house brand fishing rods are awesome.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are not in the class of Cabela's or BPS. About on a par with Gander Mountain. Sportsman's wouldn't be as good as Scheels, nor would Academy. All have their place. No Sportsman's or Ganders around here anymore.

In my area, Sioux City, IA and Sioux Falls, SD, they are far above BPS, and and the SF store, above Cabelas.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Scheels carried the Sagen Saw along time ago, before anyone else did.

IC B3

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I choose Scheels above most other chain sporting goods stores. At the one in Billings, MT at least, they have people who are helpful and actually may know something about what they're selling. I just bought a new Henry Golden Boy for $90 under what Cabelas wanted. At Cabelas they wouldn't even unlock the action so I could feel it. They said look at it, hold it and that's all. At Scheels, they wanted to show me all the guns I was interested in looking at. They cut the zip ties off the levers and unlocked the triggers. I'll never darken a Cabelas door again. About 15 years ago, at the old Billings Scheels I had the gun manager tell me to bring a Ruger Ultralite 204 back if I couldn't get it to shoot good enough to suit me. The gun was new. I sent it with a friend who worked over the trigger and the gun will shoot .75" with the right loads. Scheels has earned my business.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Like a cabelas but better.

Much better.

Except the they sell soccer balls...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Like a cabelas but better.

Much better.

Except the they sell soccer balls...

And golf clubs.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I live in Bismarck. We have a Scheels here. Their hunting and fishing selection is good, but nowhere near as extensive as a Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops. They carry a lot of gear for other sports as well - like running shoes, softball gear, hockey, bicycles, stuff for high school sports, golf, etc, along with a lot of casual clothing, especially Nike and Under-armor.

They probably have most everything you need and a lot of what you want, but don’t have some specialty stuff you may be looking for. For example - no Redding dies, just RCbS and maybe Hornady.

Customer Service is excellent, prices are high. I have purchased a number firearms over the last several years. I don’t think I have bought any of them there - I have given them a shot here and there, but they usually don’t match up well to GunBroker.

Last edited by Slope77; 07/16/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are not in the class of Cabela's or BPS.

What do you mean by that?
It was more of a subjective impression than an objective one...but to get more objective: I've only been in one Scheel's while having been to multiple Cabela's and even more BPS' all over the southeast. BPS and Cabela's almost always have power boats and the like. MAYBE Scheel's has some canoes and kayaks in comparison. Scheel's maybe has more guns than one ultra-small BPS (Branson, MO which is only about 40 miles from the huge Springfield BPS headquarters), otherwise BPS and certainly Cabela's are bigger and carry more stuff, gun-wise. Scheel's doesn't have nearly the wildlife displays or aquariums that the other two have. Just not as much of a "destination" as the other two.

Scheel's is great if you're getting baseball gloves or the like that the other two don't even stock. I would say that Dick's and Academy are just as good in that department though, but I'd rate Scheel's better than Dick's or Academy overall. Dick's or Academy generally aren't a destination type store, they're just solid on some things with Academy much better on most stuff than Dick's. Scheel's is a destination, just not as much so as BPS or Cabela's.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Building one a few miles away. I may be poor after they open.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by EIB0879

S of Denver?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I just price compared the Glock 19x at Scheels and Cabellas, Scheels was about 60$ cheaper.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by EIB0879

S of Denver?

Nope. The Colony, Texas.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Scheels Fargo is better than any Cabelas or BP that I've ever been in. Scheels does far more for the community as well. And they function on an "employee-owned" model, which generally makes the employees happy to be there and willing to work hard to make a great store.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,611 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,943
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.