Page 75 of 79 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 78 79
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by DBT

There is a clear and undeniable divide between the nature of the OT god in comparison to the Gospel version. One describes the willingness to kill and condemn generations, the other to forgive and keep no record of wrongs. Which is an undeniable contradiction

Even Marion, the first person to assemble a NT (and who Dr. Robert Price believe was the actual author of many of "Pauls" works) cannon could see that. It's exactly why he rejected the OT as relating to a god completely different and distinct from Jesus.

LOL this is humorous. The epistles of Paul were being quoted by Ignatius before the times of Marcion. Where do these people come up with this drivel?

Did he??

Ever since the Protestant Reformation, the authenticity of all the Ignatian epistles has come under intense scrutiny. John Calvin called the epistles "rubbish published under Ignatius’ name."[4]:119 Protestants have tended to want to deny the authenticity of the epistles because they seem to attest to the existence of a monarchical episcopate in the second century.

In 1886, Presbyterian minister and church historian William Dool Killen published an essay extensively arguing that none of the epistles attributed to Ignatius are authentic. Instead, he argued that Callixtus, bishop of Rome, forged the letters around AD 220 to garner support for a monarchical episcopate, modeling the renowned Saint Ignatius after his own life to give precedent for his own authority.[30]:137 Killen contrasted this episcopal polity with the presbyterian polity in the writings of Polycarp.[30]:127

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There is a Marxist type of Skepticism that denies everything it does not want to believe, regardless of the evidence, in order to promote its liberation theology.

Then there is also evidence based critical thinking that is skeptical of the above and sees liberation theology as the opposite of real freedom that is based on self-evident truth.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
There is a Marxist type of Skepticism that denies everything it does not want to believe, regardless of the evidence, in order to promote its liberation theology.

Then there is also evidence based critical thinking that is skeptical of the above and sees liberation theology as the opposite of real freedom that is based on self-evident truth.

I'm not a Marxist.

I'm a Capitalist.

Your inability to imagine Capitalist, Constitutionalist, Veteran who's also Atheist say volumes about your closed mind.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT

There is a clear and undeniable divide between the nature of the OT god in comparison to the Gospel version. One describes the willingness to kill and condemn generations, the other to forgive and keep no record of wrongs. Which is an undeniable contradiction

Even Marion, the first person to assemble a NT (and who Dr. Robert Price believe was the actual author of many of "Pauls" works) cannon could see that. It's exactly why he rejected the OT as relating to a god completely different and distinct from Jesus.

LOL this is humorous. The epistles of Paul were being quoted by Ignatius before the times of Marcion. Where do these people come up with this drivel?

Did he??

Ever since the Protestant Reformation, the authenticity of all the Ignatian epistles has come under intense scrutiny. John Calvin called the epistles "rubbish published under Ignatius’ name."[4]:119 Protestants have tended to want to deny the authenticity of the epistles because they seem to attest to the existence of a monarchical episcopate in the second century.

In 1886, Presbyterian minister and church historian William Dool Killen published an essay extensively arguing that none of the epistles attributed to Ignatius are authentic. Instead, he argued that Callixtus, bishop of Rome, forged the letters around AD 220 to garner support for a monarchical episcopate, modeling the renowned Saint Ignatius after his own life to give precedent for his own authority.[30]:137 Killen contrasted this episcopal polity with the presbyterian polity in the writings of Polycarp.[30]:127

Oh boy and what do you think those same guys would say about Marcion? They certainly would not consider him the author of the Pauline epistles. The Protestants as a whole, when laying aside their polemics, have recognized 7 of them as legitimate as have most other scholars. They were right to question them because others were forged under his name.
"The following seven epistles preserved under the name of Ignatius are generally considered authentic, since they were mentioned by the historian Eusebius in the first half of the fourth century."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignatius_of_Antioch

But this still does not solve your dilemma, because Polycarp who also lived before Marcion quotes Paul.
Polycarp 1:3
though ye saw Him not, ye believe with joy unutterable and full of
glory; unto which joy many desire to enter in; forasmuch as ye know
that it is by grace ye are saved, not of works, but by the will of
God through Jesus Christ.

You won't find any early writer of note who considers Marcion the author of the Pauline epistles.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT

Did he??

Oh boy and what do you think those same guys would say about Marcion? They certainly would not consider him the author of the Pauline epistles. The Protestants as a whole, when laying aside their polemics, have recognized 7 of them as legitimate as have most other scholars. They were right to question them because others were forged under his name.
"The following seven epistles preserved under the name of Ignatius are generally considered authentic, since they were mentioned by the historian Eusebius in the first half of the fourth century."

But this still does not solve your dilemma, because Polycarp who also lived before Marcion quotes Paul.

You won't find any early writer of note who considers Marcion the author of the Pauline epistles.

Polycarp was only a few years younger than Marcion and did most of his writing at the end of his life.

Besides, it's not my delima, I just provided an alternative hypothesis of a current Biblical Scholar. If you want his detailed 600 page defense of the hypothesis, buy the book.

IC B2

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TF49

DBT ……… you posted:

Not that any of this matters to the contradiction between descriptions of a God of Love and the vindictive Tyrant of the old testament. If one is true, the other must be false, hence a contradiction between the two sets of descriptions.

You are wrong in your statement. You are not simply pointing out a contradiction. You are clearly making an interpretation of Scripture and are indeed therefore concluding there is a contradiction. If you were not interpreting scripture …...(wrongly) … you would not even note a supposed contradiction. You have concluded that God is “a tyrant” and you have concluded that the description of a “God of Love” is incongruent.

You have come to these conclusions based on…. your own opinion….. and then insert your opinion in a terribly skewed interpretation of the Bible.

Yep, not a bible scholar…..

btw…. what you have done here is called “eisegesis.”

DBT, you also posted this:

You yourself happen to be assuming the vindictive tyrant over the God of Love, who does not keep a record of wrongs and is 'good to all' unconditionally.

Here you go again…. you make a statement and this statement is indeed your “interpretation” of verses that you do not quote but make clear reference to.

You make the statement that God does “not keep a record of wrongs” and is “good to all” unconditionally.

When challenged on this, you retreated to bafflegab and obfuscation.

You have indeed interpreted and have posted that God does “not keep a record of wrongs.”
You have indeed interpreted and have posted that God is “good to all” unconditionally.

Both of your interpretations are inconsistent with even a basic level of scholarship. You seemingly have no idea of the context or application.

When challenged, you retreat to “cut and paste” ….. that is all you can do …. you cannot support nor explain what you said.

The point is this: You have little knowledge of the Bible and little knowledge of biblical interpretation. But, you plunge ahead anyway in your zeal to …..what?
.........influence folks with even less knowledge than you….. Is that it?

Anyway, gotta go, have another road trip.

I have concluded you cannot have a reasonable discussion with DBT.

Only because you are unwilling to consider what is being pointed out.

You and other believers cannot contemplate the possibility that there are contradictions in the bible because it puts your own faith into question.

Yet the contradictions are there.

They are not my contradictions. These are contradictions that were recognized centuries ago. Contradictions that have never been resolved.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I'm not a Marxist.

I'm a Capitalist.

Your inability to imagine Capitalist, Constitutionalist, Veteran who's also Atheist say volumes about your closed mind.

I did not say anything about capitalism. I am simply saying that skepticism which denies God and moral absolutes and which is totally materialistic in its approach is a Marxist type of skepticism.
Our founders were certainly critical thinking people and founded our nation on their belief in those self evident truths and on those premises wrote a Constitution. Are you accusing them of being close minded?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Questioning assumptions and beliefs has nothing to do with Marxism or any political ideology. It is just healthy scepticism.

The very same thing you do when it comes to other religions and other holy books....are you a Marxist because you question the beliefs of Hinduism?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
DBT I don't think you are a challenge to anyone's faith or logic..

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I'm not a Marxist.

I'm a Capitalist.

I did not say anything about capitalism. I am simply saying that skepticism which denies God and moral absolutes and which is totally materialistic in its approach is a Marxist type of skepticism.
Our founders were certainly critical thinking people and founded our nation on their belief in those self evident truths and on those premises wrote a Constitution. Are you accusing them of being close minded?

There's nothing "Marxist" about my skepticism, and your assertion that there is, is a slanderous ad hominem attack.

You have much more in common with the Marxist than I, because you both worship untrue propositions damaging to the well being of people.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Critical thinking that acknowledges truth and evidence based conclusions tests everything, including skepticism. The Bible says, prove all things, hold fast that which is good.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I'm not a Marxist.

I'm a Capitalist.

There's nothing "Marxist" about my skepticism, and your assertion that there is, is a slanderous ad hominem attack.

You have much more in common with the Marxist than I, because you both worship untrue propositions damaging to the well being of people.

I have nothing in common with the basic premises of Marxism below. But some here have repeatedly shown evidence of agreement with their theology. This is simply stating facts. When someone does not like the facts they typically say they are being slandered.

Anti-religious principles of Marxism https://www.marxist.com/marxism-religion-liberation-theology220701.htm

1.Marxists stand on the basis of philosophical materialism, which rules out the existence of any supernatural entity, or anything outside or "above" nature. There is, in fact, no need for any such explanation for life and the universe - least of all today. Nature furnishes its own explanations and it furnishes them in great abundance.
2. The latest discoveries have finally exploded the nonsense of Creationism.
3.So, in spite of all this scientific development, why does Religion still have a grip on the minds of millions? Religion offers men and women the consolation of a life after death.
4.Where religion teaches us to lift our eyes to the heavens, Marxism tells us to fight for a better life on earth. Marxists believe that men and women should fight to transform their lives and to create a genuinely human society which would permit the human race to lift itself up to its true stature. We believe that men and women have only one life, and should dedicate themselves to making this life beautiful and self-fulfilling. If you like, we are fighting for a paradise in this life, because we know there is no other.
5. Lenin also pointed out that Engels recommended that the revolutionary party should carry out a struggle against religion: "The party of the proletariat demands that the state shall declare religion a private matter, but it does not for a moment regard the question of a fight against the opium of the people - the fight against religious superstition, etc., - as a private matter. The opportunists have so distorted the question as to make it appear that the Social Democratic Party regards religion as a private matter." Lenin on Religion pg 18
6.In the struggle of science against religion - that is to say, the struggle of rational thought against irrationality - Marxism sides wholeheartedly with science.
7. From the Communist manifesto:Question 22. Do Communists reject existing religions?
Answer: All religions which have existed hitherto were expressions of historical
stages of development of individual peoples or groups of peoples.
But
communism is that stage of historical development which makes all existing
religions superfluous and supersedes them.
8.Vladimir Lenin was highly critical of religion, saying in his book Religion:
Atheism is a natural and inseparable part of Marxism, of the theory and practice of scientific socialism.[7]
In The Attitude of the Workers’ Party to Religion, he wrote:
Religion is the opium of the people: this saying of Marx is the cornerstone of the entire ideology of Marxism about religion. All modern religions and churches, all and of every kind of religious organizations are always considered by Marxism as the organs of bourgeois reaction, used for the protection of the exploitation and the stupefaction of the working class.[8]

Last edited by Thunderstick; 07/17/19.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm not a Marxist.

I'm a Capitalist.

Believers try every trick in the book as a means to avoid facing the undeniable fact of contradictions in the bible.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Critical thinking that acknowledges truth and evidence based conclusions tests everything, including skepticism. The Bible says, prove all things, hold fast that which is good.

So why are you unwilling to apply critical thinking to your own faith? I'm sure that you want to think that you are, but to an objective observer it is clear that you are defending your faith by attempting to rationalize problems that are clearly there, problems that were raised centuries ago and never resolved because they cannot be resolved.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DBT I don't think you are a challenge to anyone's faith or logic..

Only in the legend of your own mind. The issue is not me. The issue is contradictions in the bible, which are there regardless of me. I do nothing more than present them as they are.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[quote=antelope_sniper][quote=DBT]

Did he??

it

Polycarp was only a few years younger than Marcion and did most of his writing at the end of his life.

Besides, it's not my delima, I just provided an alternative hypothesis of a current Biblical Scholar. If you want his detailed 600 page defense of the hypothesis, buy the book.

Marcion could not have written epistles before Polycarp wrote his epistles--that is untenable.

Look at this also from another angle. Writers such Tertullian and Ireneaus considered Marcion a heretic because he left the apostolic teaching and founded his own religion. Do you really think they would accept Marcion as the writer of Paul's epistles while quoting from Paul and calling him a heretic? There is no logic in that position at all or in a 600 page book trying to prove it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I'm not a Marxist.

I'm a Capitalist.

I have nothing in common with the basic premises of Marxism below. But some here have repeatedly shown evidence of agreement with their theology. This is simply stating facts. When someone does not like the facts they typically say they are being slandered.

Anti-religious principles of Marxism https://www.marxist.com/marxism-religion-liberation-theology220701.htm

1.Marxists stand on the basis of philosophical materialism, which rules out the existence of any supernatural entity, or anything outside or "above" nature. There is, in fact, no need for any such explanation for life and the universe - least of all today. Nature furnishes its own explanations and it furnishes them in great abundance.
2. The latest discoveries have finally exploded the nonsense of Creationism.
3.So, in spite of all this scientific development, why does Religion still have a grip on the minds of millions? Religion offers men and women the consolation of a life after death.
4.Where religion teaches us to lift our eyes to the heavens, Marxism tells us to fight for a better life on earth. Marxists believe that men and women should fight to transform their lives and to create a genuinely human society which would permit the human race to lift itself up to its true stature. We believe that men and women have only one life, and should dedicate themselves to making this life beautiful and self-fulfilling. If you like, we are fighting for a paradise in this life, because we know there is no other.
5. Lenin also pointed out that Engels recommended that the revolutionary party should carry out a struggle against religion: "The party of the proletariat demands that the state shall declare religion a private matter, but it does not for a moment regard the question of a fight against the opium of the people - the fight against religious superstition, etc., - as a private matter. The opportunists have so distorted the question as to make it appear that the Social Democratic Party regards religion as a private matter." Lenin on Religion pg 18
6.In the struggle of science against religion - that is to say, the struggle of rational thought against irrationality - Marxism sides wholeheartedly with science.
7. From the Communist manifesto:Question 22. Do Communists reject existing religions?
Answer: All religions which have existed hitherto were expressions of historical
stages of development of individual peoples or groups of peoples.
But
communism is that stage of historical development which makes all existing
religions superfluous and supersedes them.
8.Vladimir Lenin was highly critical of religion, saying in his book Religion:
Atheism is a natural and inseparable part of Marxism, of the theory and practice of scientific socialism.[7]
In The Attitude of the Workers’ Party to Religion, he wrote:
Religion is the opium of the people: this saying of Marx is the cornerstone of the entire ideology of Marxism about religion. All modern religions and churches, all and of every kind of religious organizations are always considered by Marxism as the organs of bourgeois reaction, used for the protection of the exploitation and the stupefaction of the working class.[8]

It doesn't change the fact, that at the core, you are both still wrong in a damaging way, and THAT's what you have in common with the Marxist.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm not a Marxist.

I'm a Capitalist.

Yes, indeed. Slander, it appears, becomes a means of defending the faith whenever a discussion or debate becomes uncomfortable or challenging for believers.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
[quote=antelope_sniper][quote=DBT]

Did he??

it

Marcion could not have written epistles before Polycarp wrote his epistles--that is untenable.

Look at this also from another angle. Writers such Tertullian and Ireneaus considered Marcion a heretic because he left the apostolic teaching and founded his own religion. Do you really think they would accept Marcion as the writer of Paul's epistles while quoting from Paul and calling him a heretic? There is no logic in that position at all or in a 600 page book trying to prove it.

And both Tertullian and Ireneus were considered heritics by later Church leaders as well, so, by your own logic, you must discount everything they ever wrote.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT

I'm not a Marxist.

I'm a Capitalist.

Yes, indeed. Slander, it appears, becomes a means of defending the faith whenever a discussion or debate becomes uncomfortable or challenging for believers.

They did a whole lot more than just slander during the Inquisition. We know how Christians behave when they have unfettered power, they commit atrocities on the same scale as Stalin and Mao, but don't worry, Thunderstick will be along soon with his "No True Scottsman" Fallacy to tell how the leaders of the Inquisition didn't really believe they were Christians.....

Page 75 of 79 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,290
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.