Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ol_mike
All tipping is BS - the guide/cook/etc. are not my employees .
Pay the outfitter and he pays his people and expects them to do a good job .

When I built or remodeled a house for someone - why didn't the owners or owners to be tip every trade who participated - I wish they'd start then I could pocket more money for myself .

They must love seeing you come in the door at the local restaurant.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AH64guy
For the group I hunt with:

Minimum 10% to the guide, if he tries hard, and the amount given to him will have no reflection on my success or failure as a hunter - meaning if he did his job, I owe him whether or not I got my part done.

I tip the wrangler, and the camp cook, and I've tipped more than one guide that helped pack out after a successful hunt.

Sometimes, the guide and the wrangler are the owner operator, and the camp cook is always one of the owner/operators - still tip them just the same.

I've had one year that I did not fully tip the guide, and I explained those reasons to the owners before I did it.

We've built a good relationship over the years, and we have a good reputation in camp, and with other entities within the hunting community - or, at least I think we do - we get invited back.

It's not just guides and outfitters that have a reputation to worry about, if you use the services enough, (or just once poorly) you will be known by your reputation as well.

I like the way you think. The guide cannot produce animals on demand, make fish bite etc... sometimes it works out, but the way I work and most of the good folks out there is we give it our all every day. Sometimes the results are better than others. And IMHO, the guides feel worse than the clients if they bust their tail but circumstances lead to no game. Vs being LUCKY and walking over the next hill and a big bull is there... there is no skill to speak of in that.

But my fishing guide tips here represent that often, no matter how easy to limit when the fishing is good, limits bring better tips. While you work MUCH harder when things aren't right and someone leaves you 20 bucks... WTF almost comes out of my mouth, BUT I signed on for the salary and tips are gravy, though we rely on them much, much like wait staff etc... it was my choice to start guiding again so I live with the results.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike
All tipping is BS - the guide/cook/etc. are not my employees .
Pay the outfitter and he pays his people and expects them to do a good job .

When I built or remodeled a house for someone - why didn't the owners or owners to be tip every trade who participated - I wish they'd start then I could pocket more money for myself .

And I totally get this. Problem there is if the good guides don't make extra above and beyond pay, they can't afford to stay and you start getting what I see on the river, guide gets his folks out, and rods, then fishes the whole time for himself. Might be lucky if he nets the clients fish.. me, I basically refuse to fish, though some folks want to see how I do it and I"ll demonstrate, some demand that after they are limited I take my limit and I might but I spend very little time if I can't... and we go on to other things for the duration to have fun, catch and release, sight seeing and such. While other guides suggest, hey you are limited out, want to head in and get an early lunch, or head in for the bar etc... nope and I don't agree with the suggestions.

The folks that don't tip add up, and effect whether I can afford to come back each year.

Though I wish you were right, I wish they would up our fees by 100 plus bucks on each trip, preferably 150 to 200, and then we are making a decent wage and not have to pray that we also get a good tip.

I refuse or do my best to, tips on make a wish trips and on honeymoons or anniversary trips. Just my thing. Sometimes those folks insist though

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,780
Posts18,477,082
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.