Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nealglen37
If a democrat wins the presidency (I hope they don't, then I'm retiring). I am in my mid 50s and can take an early retirement, it will bring in about 2,500 per month. My house and car are paid for. I am a single male with no dependents, and I have simple tastes. In addition I know the country will be soon be running off the cliff. The only reason I still work now is we have great heath benefits where I work. Anyone else considering it?

keep working, keep your insurance and keep putting money away.

you'd have 40 more hours a week to worry about politics...not worth it.

A paid off car usually needs replaced eventually, paid off house often needs new roof, re-painted, plumbing, furnace, water heater...you get the drift.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They will open borders up and it be just north and south American continents. USA would be gone.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I retired at 51. Ill be 73 in a month. It was the best move I ever made. I have heard lots of guys later in life say they wish they would have spent more time with their family, or traveling or whatever. Never heard one say they wished they could have spend a few more shifts on the job.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I retired at 51. Ill be 73 in a month. It was the best move I ever made. I have heard lots of guys later in life say they wish they would have spent more time with their family, or traveling or whatever. Never heard one say they wished they could have spend a few more shifts on the job.

Then you dont talk to many people. Start asking the people who had to quit working because of health problems. Every retired Male relative I have ever known wanted to work longer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If a democrat wins the presidency (I hope they don't, then I'm retiring). I am in my mid 50s and can take an early retirement, it will bring in about 2,500 per month. My house and car are paid for. I am a single male with no dependents, and I have simple tastes. In addition I know the country will be soon be running off the cliff. The only reason I still work now is we have great heath benefits where I work. Anyone else considering it?

Screw the election, just do it!

Don't wait til your too f'n old to do what you enjoy, none of us have a guarantee we are even gonna have a tomorrow.

That possible health issue many speak of could actually happen and render you incapable of chasing down deer and climbing up river banks from good fishing holes. Then you'd never get to do what you really wanted to.

The entire concept of working 40 hours a week 50 weeks a year until your old and grey is about the most dumb schit idea anyone ever came up with.
Most do it just because they find some sorta sense of security in some corporation or government agency will take care of them with a pension when they get old and tired.
I guess they are just afraid to do that on their own.

You already have what you feel will do you, go for it. ASAP.......don't look back...

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Who do you work for ?
Gov't job ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Only a matter of time till we have a Mexican President. and then Sht will hit the fan.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffA

Screw the election, just do it!

Don't wait til your too f'n old to do what you enjoy, none of us have a guarantee we are even gonna have a tomorrow.

That possible health issue many speak of could actually happen and render you incapable of chasing down deer and climbing up river banks from good fishing holes. Then you'd never get to do what you really wanted to.

The entire concept of working 40 hours a week 50 weeks a year until your old and grey is about the most dumb schit idea anyone ever came up with.
Most do it just because they find some sorta sense of security in some corporation or government agency will take care of them with a pension when they get old and tired.
I guess they are just afraid to do that on their own.

You already have what you feel will do you, go for it. ASAP.......don't look back...

I could not agree more.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

$2500.00 a month won’t go far, you better hang in there and work another decade and invest wisely. In 15 years $2500.00 a month won’t buy you a weeks groceries and a tank of gas. There’s lots of people living under the interstate that thought they were ready before they weren’t...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Are you saying he might have to lay off buying all those Sako's?

2500 is a bunch for us peasants.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
If a democrat is elected....ima gonna do like I did last time.

Get drunk and carry on like always.

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm somewhat in the same position as the OP. Only issue is the timing for me is based more on what I think the Market will do if the next election goes South.

Really thinking about retiring at the end of Trump's second term (Positive thinking). Roll most of my IRA into fixed rate accounts with local institutions, at least I'm guaranteed a positive rate of return. Can start taking SSI in 2022. I'm a bachelor with a dog, home is paid for, plan on traveling in a camper throughout the country visiting friends and family all over. Travel when I want to, stay as long as I want to, and move when I'm ready. After hunting/fishing season ends up north, come back South for the Winter...….at least that's the plan! LOL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
At mid 50s thats a long run to the grave on $2500 a month. But I sure you have thought it out. If you have everything paid for thats great but with no mortgage or car payments nows the time to really sock it away. I intend to work until I cant. But less and taking on what I care to. Im going to keep making money so I can really enjoy the xtra time I will have. I am in my mid 50s as well.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to move my 401k into safe harbor next fall.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My house tax is about 4-5k per year. Car insurance and house insurance another 2k. So that’s 3 months of 2.5k gone quick. I was looking at 6k per month and I am nervous. I also have house paid. Cool st of living in kinda low here

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My house and cars are paid for 100%. i married a woman who's family has a little bit of money so we both could make sure our kids get the best education, a way to start up in life and a little more. i have been talking to my wife about a little house in a remote place, nothing fancy. don't know where but we are still sorting it out...living isolated from politics and all the madness of the world, stock good guns, ammo food...that's my next mission.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When (not IF) a Dem takes the WH again, and they have control of both houses I wouldn't be at all surprised if they go after the 401k's. There was already some talk about it when Obama was in office.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FOsteology
When (not IF) a Dem takes the WH again, and they have control of both houses I wouldn't be at all surprised if they go after the 401k's. There was already some talk about it when Obama was in office.

They will go after the wealth where ever it is. They will need it to help pay for all their election promises.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Originally Posted by FOsteology

They will go after the wealth where ever it is. They will need it to help pay for all their election promises.

I think they are gonna go after Roth's. They can't stand the Roth loophole and that people are making money tax free.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by BlueDuck

Then you dont talk to many people. Start asking the people who had to quit working because of health problems. Every retired Male relative I have ever known wanted to work longer.

I don't know many who said they wished they'd worked longer.

I am ready to exit but will probably hang on a few more years. I've already starting moving a portion of investments out of equities and into more conservative vehicles.

I ain't gonna live until I'm 80. I've worked way too much and have a long history of early death. If I make it till 65 my wife is gonna be pissed.

Last edited by TimberRunner; 07/22/19.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 257bobber, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,099
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.