OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Bill C-71 Passes Final Vote in Senate as New Law to Ban Guns
28 May 2019
3 min read
Bill C-71 Passes Final Vote in Senate as New Law to Ban Guns

Screenshot of Bill C-71 page at LegisInfo.com

TheGunBlog.ca — Bill C-71 passed its third and final vote in the Canadian Senate today as the governing Liberal Party’s new law to criminalize hunters, farmers and sport shooters and take away their guns.

Senators voted 55 in favour and 33 against, with 2 abstentions starting at 5:34 p.m. in Ottawa.

The result was split along party lines, with the pro-Liberal members supporting the bill, and the Conservative Party opposition voting against.

Hostile Political Force

Bill C-71 solidifies the Liberals and their supporters as the most hostile and aggressive political force against the millions of Canadian men, women and youth who own or use firearms safely and responsibly.

The Senate didn’t change a comma from the draft text sent by the Liberal-controlled House of Commons, after eight months of deliberation and 30 hours of testimony from 81 expert witnesses. The government of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau proposed Bill C-71 on March 20, 2018.

‘Very Disappointed’

“Very disappointed that Trudeau’s ‘independent’ senators chose to rubber stamp Bill #C71,” Senator Don Plett, the Conservative who led opposition to the bill, said on Twitter after the vote. “No amendments, no improvements, no sober second thought.”

The Governor General will give her ceremonial Royal Assent in hours or days to turn the text into law.

The Conservative Party opposed the bill from Day One and pledged to repeal it if they win the next election. Andrew Scheer, the party leader, opposes bans against honest Canadians.

Prohibit and Confiscate

Concern of new bans has spiked to a record and gun sales are soaring on speculation Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will use the new law to order more confiscations.

Read: AR-15 Selling Out in Canada on Concern Trudeau to Ban New Owners

One of the most sinister novelties in Bill C-71 is allowing cabinet to order immediate gun prohibition while delaying confiscation until the owner is dead. This avoids the complexities of immediate surrender or confiscation, as New Zealand did in March.

Read: Ministry Comments on How Law Allows Cabinet to Order Gun Bans

Confiscation Order?

Bill Blair, the minister exploring a “full ban” on handguns and many rifles and shotguns, told CTV News two weeks ago he doesn’t exclude a confiscation order.

Bill C-71 includes the prohibition of CZ 858 and SAN Swiss Arms rifles from more than 10,000 families, requiring post-mortem seizure and destruction. If the owner doesn’t submit new paperwork, they could go to prison. The government hasn’t said how it will inform owners of the new law.

Anti-Gun Senators

Trudeau campaigned in the 2015 election on many of the measures included in Bill C-71, and Blair has been actively examining mass confiscation since August.

Opinion polls show Liberal voters are the most hostile to gun owners in supporting bans. A government adviser said last year that new restrictions and prohibitions present an “untapped opportunity” for Trudeau to win re-election this year.

Several Trudeau-appointed senators worked to eliminate civilian firearm ownership during the Bill C-71 review.

“Let’s have a firearms-free Canada,” Senator Pierre Dalphond tweeted March 29. “Time to ban these arms that generate no real social benefit but expose innocent citizens to death, injuries and psychological traumas,” he tweeted after today’s vote.
Marilou McPhedran sought to include a handgun ban in Bill C-71.

More Canadian Than Hockey

Hunting and sport shooting are at the heart of Canadian culture and heritage. More adults have a firearm licence authorized by the federal police than play hockey.

The number of people with licences keeps rising to records, driven by the popularity of sport shooting especially among women.

GB1

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I hope Trudeau's plane crashes into the side of a mountain.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 673
I hope Trudeau's plane crashes into the side of a mountain.

After it catches fire !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
ASS HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's worse than his old man was.💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩. PILE OF [bleep] Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦 Great country ran by idiots.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Good luck to you all, may your next elections send the jerks packing back under their rocks!

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Too bad Justin wasn't skiing with his brother when he got washed off the side of a mountain by an avalanche.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'd like to say I wish he would go back to being a part time drama teacher but that would be abetting child abuse.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Well, it wasn't for want of trying on the parts of some folks in Ottawa, not to mention quite a lot of letter-writiing from some of us. According to “Reducing Violent Crime: A Dialogue on Handguns and Assault Weapons” which was released by the Minister of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction in tandem with their conversation on banning handguns:

“The vast majority of owners of handguns and of other firearms in Canada lawfully abide by requirements, and most gun crimes are not committed with legally-owned firearms.”
but that is not what the Trudeau government wanted to hear, so they just ignored it. So much for their vaunted "fact and science-baed" approach!

Although they are too crafty to come out and admit it, their underlying policy is the same as it was 25 years ago when the then Liberal government revised the Firearms Act with Bill C-68 under the guise of public safety. However, these two statemenets clearly show what the agenda really was (and is):
"C-68 has little to do with gun control or crime control, but it is the first step necessary to begin the social re-engineering of Canada." (Senator Sharon Carstairs , 1996)

"...disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda." (Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.)

Senator Don Plett, bless him, tried to talk some common sense into his colleagues when he addressed the ridiculous changes in the ATT regs. (Link here. 7 mins.) For you folks south of 49, we require an Authorization To Transport for handguns (and some rifles). The problem is that the people drafting the (unnecessary) changes seemingly don't have a clue what the existing laws are, nor what they cover!

We're generally pretty quiet but I think/hope the so-called "gun lobby" may be slowly getting its butt off the chair and speaking up. We won't get what we want (which varies considerabl anyway, depending on whom you talk to) but if the Conservatives win the election in October, hopefully this nonsense will be consigned to the dust bin and there willl be "much wailing and gnashing of teeth" in some quarters. The CPC isn't really "pro gun" but they at least figure we should be left alone in the absence of any viable proof that we're a threat to public security, which, ironically, the document mentioned above clearly indicates.

Now if you;ll excuse me, I'm headed to the range with my S&W Model 10 and a couple of others while I'm still allowed to.

Last edited by Stuart; 05/31/19.

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
sad for Canadian`s but as a USA citizen we need a north wall too ,this liberal gun disease is bad !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PETRO CANADA

P
I
E
R
R
E

E
L
L
I
O
T

T
R
U
D
E
A
U

R
I
P
S

O
F
F

C
A
N
A
D
A

Like father, Like son - I was living in Salmon Arm when this Azz Wipe came to town and saluted everyone.
What a political mess he and his father have created.

[Linked Image]

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
JFC!!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

We are hearing many fine firearms have been lost in boating accidents, recently.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Good idea

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 3,169 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,263
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.