Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 49 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 48 49
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Birdwatcher first day of school- so what did you all do for summer break? Couple students answer with typical stories. Birdwatcher I rode my bike to Montana.. then rode it back to Texas.. sensing his class is not impressed they have that look of why would someone do that. He comes up with a story how he wrestled a bear in Yellowstone, saved a baby mtn lion from drowning and he jumped Colorado River on his bycycle

Last edited by 79S; 07/19/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t know I have a feeling you are posting all this from your couch in San Antonio

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 79S
I don’t know I have a feeling you are posting all this from your couch in San Antonio

Really? His bike rides are pretty well documented on here.

I might smoke him out but I wouldn’t call him a liar.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
But everyone sees a loaded-up cyclist and they know we have come hundreds, maybe thousands of miles.

Or took a car to Great Falls.

That part of the story isn’t told. Lose street cred with bycyling bros

Dude! You must live in a dark place, Why would you even think such a thing?

2,000 miles to NY in 2014.
1,500 miles England/Scotland/Ireland/France/England in 2016.
500 miles San Antonio/Hobbs/Lubbock
400 miles Great Falls/Yellowstone/Cody to be continued....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
Birdwatcher first day of school- so what did you all do for summer break? Couple students answer with typical stories. Birdwatcher I rode my bike to Montana.. then rode it back to Texas.. sensing his class is not impressed they have that look of why would someone do that. He comes up with a story how he wrestled a bear in Yellowstone, saved a baby mtn lion from drowning and he jumped Colorado River on his bycycle

Dude, I got enough real stories, don't gotta embellish.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel
How many calories do you think you burn on an average day?

WAG...... 4,000 - 5,000 maybe?

I’d have to keep track and then look it up.

Kinda funny, but when I think of a calorie burning dynamo, this doesn't quite fit that expectation of a 5,000 calorie chiselled calorie burner...

.[Linked Image]

That guy in the photo was 57, and he has just pedaled that 80lb bike 2,009 miles from his front door in 32 days cool

Dunno what that works out to in calories, a lot I would guess.

It is a testament to the efficiency of bicycles.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hang in there, Birdy. Those who haven't like to rag on those who have.

I'm enjoying your adventure. Keep the posts coming.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by BayouRover

Well I do weigh 470lbs, last bike i had the frame cracked and my special ed teacher molested me..

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by widrahthaar
Originally Posted by 79S

No doubt he pedaled somewhere but probably hitched a plane ride back to San Antonio..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enjoying the story Birdy. Keep a rolling along.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BayouRover

👍

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Serious question, given the nature of the majority of your posts:

Were you molested as a child?

Yes.

But she was gorgeous.

And his cousin......

Eskimo kisses.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Trip Two Day 10: 68 mile day. 385 miles total.

I felt a lot of apprehension about this one, feeling it was gonna be a hard day. I did know it involved an 8,600ft pass, road construction, 31 miles from where I was to get out of the park plus another 53 miles after that through the Shoshone National Forest to Cody. 84 miles, two days.

Packed up early, rolled out. As it turns out my decision not to ride up the Hayden Valley the day before was a good one, there were strong sustained winds out of the south that I would have had to fight for 16 miles south to Fishing Bridge.

As it was I got a wind-assisted four miles north to that intersection where I turned right, through four miles of not-too-bad road construction and then east and south in the blustery winds. Big lake, waves, dotted with steaming, bubbling hot springs here and there. I had seen buffalo and elk, but along this stretch I saw two prob’ly young of the year golden eagles squabbling over a dead Canada goose, prob’ly recently delivered by a parent. Meanwhile a flock of Canada geese flew and glided in the updrafts above.

Then aclimb up from the lake through hundreds of acres of dead timber ( from the big fire?). At this point I suffered a first breakdown, a tent guyline was hanging out of a pannier and got wrapped tightly between the spokes and gear cassette on the rear wheel. Took me about a hour to clear with my Leatherman multi tool, I was just happy the deraillieur didn’t get bent.

On up the pass, alternately being helped or hindered by the wind depending on its meanderings.

Finally reached the top about 1pm. Then a remarkable thing happened, the wind was now blowing strongly from the west. It is almost all downhill from the top of Sylvan Pass about 65 miles to Cody. I had a free ride all afternoon 55 miles from the top of the pass to Bill Cody State Park 16 miles short of Cody.

Moreover, just about 5 miles east of the Yellowstone Park Boundary I had come across Pahaska, Buffalo Bill Cody’s original resort, got a great lunch at a good price, I was set.

On through the tiny town of Wapiti and a biker memorial, strong wind at my back the whole time.

I stopped and camped at the State Park, figuring it would be cheaper’n anything in Cody.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by widrahthaar
Originally Posted by 79S

No doubt he pedaled somewhere but probably hitched a plane ride back to San Antonio..

It ain’t about distance, it’s time. Longer you’re out there the more the miles accumulate. Europe was the only circle I rode, the otherI flew back.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
OK you heathens....

A Liberal indicator; chocolate-flavored coconut milk, never saw it before Montana....

[Linked Image]

Meanwhile, back to Yellowstone.... not far inside the park entrance....

[Linked Image]

Can't drive 100 yards along the Upper Madison without wanting to stop and take a photo....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Tatanka heech eh pi elo! TATANKA HEECH EH PI ELO!!!" = "The White guy has seen buffalo." G. Greene 1990 (twenty-nine years ago shocked )

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome pictures.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
First geysers, there's a bunch before ya get to the Big Cheese AKA Old Faithful....

[Linked Image]

Another geyser field next to the Firehole River, which drains into the Madison. When I put my hand into the Madison I was surprised it wasn't that cold, now I knew why.

[Linked Image]

Turns out the Nez Perce were through this country, on their 1877 flight to avoid imprisonment on a reservation...

[Linked Image]

Finally, the primary objective of this whole interrupted mission....

[Linked Image]

Thar she blows! Sorta anticlimactic actually, much less so if you're waiting around for the skies to clear for two more eruptions.....

[Linked Image]

What she looks like between rounds.... my entirely unscientific opinion is as long as Old Faithful is still doing her thing every ninety minutes give or take, the caldera ain't about to go off anytime soon.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
What type of oil/ grease you use on the rolling gypsy camp?

Last edited by renegade50; 07/20/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nice pics, Mike!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Late in the day on the mountain. Right after this photo the rain and thunder closed in..... but the question arose, if you pee behind that sign does it go right, towards the Pacific Ocean, or left, towards the Gulf of Mexico? As it turns out it was easy to bias the results....

[Linked Image]

The next morning, I slept on the porch....

[Linked Image]

I had been worried about running into bears or buffalo the night before, forgot all about these guys, these right behind the campground office at first light....

[Linked Image]

A boiling cauldron right by the intersection to Grant's Village....

[Linked Image]

....and another one of very many along the shore of Yellowstone Lake... reminders that you're on the stovetop....

[Linked Image]

A mute reminder of the terror of wildfire....

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gCYs7K][Linked Image]

Page 38 of 49 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 163bc, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,660
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.