Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
A friend of mine bought a Marlin 336 youth gun, because he likes short, handy rifles. No big deal. He bought a couple of boxes of CoreLokts to run thru it, and fully one third of them would not fire. Not on the first try, or the second, or the third try, either.

In addition to not firing, the ammo that DID fire showed signs of excessive headspace, right out of the gate, flattened primers like you wouldn't believe, lots of case stretch, the whole bit.

He wasn't much of a gambler, took the rifle, and the ammo, and traded it off for something else. It WAS a Remlin, made right after the takeover, so between the rifle and the ammo, he was pretty sour on the whole deal.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
A friend of mine bought a Marlin 336 youth gun, because he likes short, handy rifles. No big deal. He bought a couple of boxes of CoreLokts to run thru it, and fully one third of them would not fire. Not on the first try, or the second, or the third try, either.

In addition to not firing, the ammo that DID fire showed signs of excessive headspace, right out of the gate, flattened primers like you wouldn't believe, lots of case stretch, the whole bit.

He wasn't much of a gambler, took the rifle, and the ammo, and traded it off for something else. It WAS a Remlin, made right after the takeover, so between the rifle and the ammo, he was pretty sour on the whole deal.

I have the same rifle. A 336Y. It loves Core-Lokts.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

That's odd. I've seen many empty casings that were fired from .30-30's that did in fact have excessive headspace but I've yet to see one stretched case or flattened primer. I have seen a whole bunch of protruding primers because there's simply not enough pressure to stretch the case and reseat them,

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Spartacus
Originally Posted by tzone
it's been that way for years.

Yes it has.

Some say, (the bean counters)

They still shoot okay. They are MOA of deer.

Bought a custom rifle a few months ago and didn't have time to reload before heading off to the range. Figured I would by three different PREMIUM types do factory ammo to test out. When the shipment arrived I ran them over a concentricity gauge. All three boxes had many rounds with greater than 0.02 runout. One had to be sized before chambering. After all that gun shot 2-3" groups.

Finally got to handload for it and groups right around 3/4" for 5 shots.

Never again buying factory centerfire ammunition. Waste of time, effort, and money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OP ...... Did you forward these concerns to Remington?

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Whenever I get green box Ammo I usually use an inertia bullet puller to set them out further and reseat them with my press to have a more consistent OAL. Worked out pretty good so far. Usually use those to get rifles on paper.

MAGA! This is the way!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (19rabbit52, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,506
Posts18,472,295
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.