Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tikka77
Impossible to decide for me. I love all meats and each kind has its unique flavor and savoriness.
However, cured variations of all meats are heavenly for me and I'd pick them over regular meats.

Kinda the same for me. I've eaten some great deer, moose, caribou, elk, etc., and would have a hard time picking a favorite. Although the little spikehorn whitetail I shot last fall was crazy good eating! I'm in the camp of halibut is not my top choice in saltwater fish. I like it, but prefer lingcod, haddock, and even pacific/atlantic cod. I think it's just a texture thing with it, though fresh it's pretty dang good. After it's been frozen it's just not the same.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When I hear that Pronghorn tastes bad and elk is preferred over a beef ribeye, I have to believe that there is some mental anguish involved in these taste tests. Everyone around here prefers elk to any other wild game. My boys and I happen to kill a lot of critters each year and give some away. Since no one likes mule deer, I never give any of it away, instead I mark the mule deer packages "Elk" and never have any problem giving it away and have never heard anything from the recipients but "That elk sure was good"...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wild Turkey

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Haven't tried a lot of different game meat but enjoyed good moose meat the most. Also had one that had very little fat on it, tasty but tough.
Generally do not enjoy blacktail, might be different if you got them near some farmland. Decent mule deer and whitetail is always welcome.
Have had some good black bear, but generally I am not very enthusiastic about it. Might be partially because I don't particularly like to handle them, I think it is the long hair and the barrel chest! Had cougar and grizzly, neither was memorable.
I like my beef fairly rare, but not game meat (medium). Just a personal thing!
Ruffed grouse is pretty tasty, blue grouse is okay and spruce grouse can either be decent or not too appealing. Bandtailed pigeon was chewy, and tough to get!
I love to fish, but really am not too keen on eating fish. Being raised catholic probably had nothing to do with it, working on a commercial troller for a few summers might have!
Nice piece of lingcod or halibut is pretty good (for fish), and had mako shark once that was pretty decent. Swordfish was mediocre. Most salmon are not too appealing, though a nice coho filleted is decent enough. About one trout feed a year is plenty. Had some walleye, thought it was okay, for fish!

Last edited by patbrennan; 07/20/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree, blacktail is by far the worst, I grind backstraps and tenderloins into the pepperoni/sausage pile.. guys go crazy!! 🤣🤣

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
1.moose
2. elk
3. antelope

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My favorite of all time was White front goose.

Yet If I had as much of that as I had Halibut, Halibut may come away the winner. Love venison and Walleye and would look forward to wild hog properly prepaired. a bit surprised at how much I have not tried of what is listed here including speed goat.

Sounds like I need to learn to properly prepare squirrel yet.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Judman
I agree, blacktail is by far the worst, I grind backstraps and tenderloins into the pepperoni/sausage pile.. guys go crazy!! 🤣🤣

Mule deer buck in the rut is pretty 'gamey' meat.

Without mucho seasoning I don't like it.

The same buck in early season is WAY better, actually quite good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
nilgia

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me it's venison and phesant. Man, do I miss me some squirrel and dumplings.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by gophergunner
For me it's venison and phesant. Man, do I miss me some squirrel and dumplings.

Grew up on squirrel and dumplings. Axis is my favorite though.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Eland

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
fish = wahoo

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,244
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.