Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for the comeback Paul....I wouldn't be bringing anything that would harm any of the steel....

either 223 or 22.250 with varmint bullets that splatter on impact...

I didn't think it would be a big deal.. I've tried to fit into the 'non rest' rules..
but I have range of motion issues with my neck ( birth defect) that doesn't allow me to be able to shoot from a prone position, and off hand just isn't that good except to come in last place...which I really don't mind doing..

I just never liked competing with friends...character defect...because I can get overly competitive...

I just enjoy the shooting, and seeing how I do among my peers...nothing more...

hopefully will understand that idiosyncrasy of mine...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very good, John. This is one fine bunch of folks and a good time will be had by all.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by EdM
Hey I did alright when I shot on my first trip there. ;-)

Yes, Ed, you did quite well. Are you going to come back for a repeat performance sometime? That would be really good.

I don't see a return happening given that Tonto is gone and we spend the three months of summer at our place in north Idaho. Frankly, I have lost all desire to shoot on the Campfire trips as the fun has been lost, for me at least. I won two of three the year I attended Tonto with simple stuff that I hunted with. When wind meters showed, well that's not for me. I will miss Ken's food though.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a bit interesting there Ed. All that most of us have ever shot at the Campfire events over the years are hunting/varmint rifles and carry handguns - that is totally true for me and some others I know. My eyesight is not so hot, but I don't remember having seen a wind meter at one of our friendly comp shoots - maybe one showed up and I was too dumb/inexperienced to know what it was. Anyway - our traditions have been to keep it to simple stuff and in recent times the winning has been spread around among some pretty good shooters who are also very solid peeps. If you were to come shoot with them again, you might get back some of your lost fun - or maybe a lot of it. Who knows - we may have another wintertime event, of some sort, in some sunny spot. I like seeing these folks twice a year, and it would be good if you were here as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul,

You are All that is Class.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

(competing shooters may not use the same firearm as another shooter in same event)

[b

1:00 PM - Steel Shoot Distance: steels at approximately 100, 200, and 300 yards
Firearm: any sporting firearm with any sights (not dedicated target/competition type) Maximum case capacity is 30-06 size or smaller with max velocity of 3300 fps, to save the steel – honor system.
Position: any free position with various pods/shooting sticks OK, or at bench with firearm not touching anything except shooter’s body
Time once positioned: 6 minutes
Goal: 6 shots with at least one at each distance; must call each shot; points according to distance
Shooting order determined by draw.

Kindly submit any questions/comments on this open forum

I noticed a couple of things that need to be changed in this format. In the steel shoot the only requirement is that you have to take at least ONE shot at one of the high value (white) targets. You can shoot all 6 rounds at the white targets if you feel frisky.

As far as sharing guns. The only shoots where this is an issue is the Prairie Dog shoot where you can get the wind from the other shooter as well as the vertical.

I don't see any issues with sharing a rifle for the 22 or steel shoot especially. The dots on the the shoots other than Prairie Dog are big enough that you should be able to hit them. The group size should determine the winners.

Last edited by dennisinaz; 07/19/19.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM
Hey I did alright when I shot on my first trip there. ;-)

Yes, Ed, you did quite well. Are you going to come back for a repeat performance sometime? That would be really good.

I don't see a return happening given that Tonto is gone and we spend the three months of summer at our place in north Idaho. Frankly, I have lost all desire to shoot on the Campfire trips as the fun has been lost, for me at least. I won two of three the year I attended Tonto with simple stuff that I hunted with. When wind meters showed, well that's not for me. I will miss Ken's food though.

Joe did bring a wind flag one year to use with the 22s. He didn't win and anyone could have looked at it. It was tough keeping all those bullets on the dots at that range. I usually hang a few ribbons on the branches and stuff for the steel shoot since we shoot out to 300 yards.

I haven't shot in the steel shoot since the first year we did it- the year Mic McPherson showed up. I will this year.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's our guy Dennis - agree on description/rules to be posted and then think of things to change up. Then again, he's a good thinker and a good sport - I'm just fine with what all he said above.

D, In that you are going through the efforts to get, make, bring and set up the steels for that shoot, I will provide the targets for the:following:
Rimfire 30 yard shoot (2 inch spot)
100 yard small group shoot (2 inch spot)
125 yard .22 rimfire small group shoot (4 inch spot)
200 yard Prairie Dog shoot (1/2 inch spot) The PD shoot was started at Armijo, so we will still have three dogs per target again - can't miss the fun when someone shoots another person's dog. If it seems better to go to single dog targets after the relocation, so be it.

All the best, to all.

P.S. If someone (again) can bring one or two pop-up shade covers, it will help make the shoots much more enjoyable, even for the spectators.. I think that I have one from last year. Thanks if you can help with this.
P

Last edited by CCCC; 07/20/19.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sounds good.

I'm headed to Alberta in the morning so I won't be able to do anything else to get ready for this until the 31st when I am back.

Last edited by dennisinaz; 07/20/19.

NRA Benefactor Member

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It is about 99% sure I will make It. The plan is to fly to San Diego and pick up my son then we would drive there. He had surgery and may not be recovered so I would have to fly to AZ and numb a ride. Either way I would be flying and thus gun poor. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone again.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Sounds good.

I'm headed to Alberta in the morning so I won't be able to do anything else to get ready for this until the 31st when I am back.

Who is Alberta?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
It is about 99% sure I will make It.- - - - - I am really looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Now, this is some very good news.It will be a treat to have you here again, Scott.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks Paul. It will be good to see you again.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope you folks have a great time! Wish I could make it, but there is too much going on here at the plant for me to get off.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Patrick, you will be much missed and I'm sorry you can't make it. You and Leonard were at Armijo Springs for our very first gathering there, and for most of those since, so I was figuring you would make the last one as well. Let's figure that you will be part of the next one at the new summer venue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably time to get a count. Dennis is seeing Alberta and Kent is busy working - so I will request that we chime in here and soon if coming - and how many in your group? Maybe arrival plan as well. Thanks.

CCCC and lovely bride coming

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Add one to your count. I plan to arrive Friday evening, God willing and the creek don't rise. I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

I was in El Paso and prepared to attend the gathering in Arizona six months ago. I hope nothing stands in the way this time!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ed & Kat (Kathryn) will be there Thursday afternoon/evening.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i am planning to come, probably will arrive Thursday. Just me, this year.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Judy and I plan on being there Friday afternoon.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 07/23/19.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,057
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.