Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Recently it seems my batteries fail without warning. One day they work. Next day they don't. I bought a tester off Amazon; tests battery, alternator and starter. Didn't cost much. Handy size and it's paid for itself several times over in two years or so. I wouldn't be without it now as I run a lot of batteries.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Hydrometers never lie.

If you aren't testing the chemical, you aren't testing the battery.

YMMV.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 700LH
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, charge it.
TM

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
i wpnt understand the [urpose of this thread, if you battery is dead. recharge it or get a new one....Simple.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2011 Tundra original battery. Replaced it yesterday after two dead episodes where door and rear cargo lights were on for 30 minutes.

It was time for new 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Batteries are like tires; no one knows or give two schits about em until they fail, then its either some unexplained phenomenon or some manufacturer just known for making junk....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HawkI
Batteries are like tires; no one knows or give two schits about em until they fail, then its either some unexplained phenomenon or some manufacturer just known for making junk....

Blasphemy

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We run batteries for a long time and have been fortunate. Some are 12 years old, a couple are even older than those. I replace one when it starts to say I'm quitting" via the hydrometer and retained voltage - quitting happens infrequently. I've never plugged in the engine heater in winter and, or the first time in 19 years, on a minus 20 morning last winter our Dodge Cummins did not want to spin - "click, click"- and I felt certain that the two Optima Reds in there were not spoiled.. It did not want to spin with help from a booster cable from a Chevy. So, I hooked up a small charger at 5 amps for 15 minutes, then put the charger in "start" mode, and the Cummins fired right up. For some reason, the cold snap that time put the batteries to sleep. They are still in there 7 months later, and doing fine.

With a bunch of 45 to 50 year old vehicles, i do keep a fresh batter (usually a blem from Morco) on a trickle charger and ready to go. The spare "ready to go" has been sitting there for 15 months. Of course, these old trucks/car do not have lights/clocks/computers running as they sit.

Here's the little bit I know. A batter kept up to - or close to - full charge at all times will live much longer. I keep trickle chargers going on all batteries where the vehicle is used infrequently. A battery in which the distilled water level is kept proper will live longer. A battery which has been drained dead - or even near to dead - is difficult to re-charge properly and has seen its death notice. In some cases, very good jumper power from another vehicle battery to the terminals of a dead or badly wounded battery will not spin the starter of the dead vehicle - something goes dead in bat land and that's it. The only cause I've ever seen for battery explosion has been when the bad battery is putting out hydrogen (has no odor) and an errant spark from a "jumping" process ignites the hydrogen. The moment will tend to concentrate your mind. There may be other causes, but I've been fortunate not to experience those.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I wouldnt replace it til it is dead.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

That is never not funny
Originally Posted by rem141r
i'd change the valve cover gaskets too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

Dead car/truck battery at 11 pm at a Dennys off the Interstate is a pain in the ass. I replace them at three years whether they need it or not. Cheap insurance.

Solid advice.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I buy interstate batteries

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Observe during winter. Wet cells wear out by loosing reserve capacity and an ever increasing self discharge rate. Last winter if it didn't fire right away (as usual) when cold you could hear the starter struggle as the voltage sagged. Also got in the habit of running the charger long enough to give the battery a surface charge (~20 min.) if the truck hadn't run for 3 or 4 days. Works absolutely flawlessly now but I'll need to replace before winter. Swapping out batteries is easy (for the most part anyway) but no fun when it's 10 above and the hawk is flying.

Or have it tested under load as someone said. That'll give you an idea of how it'll handle cold conditions.

Hey, changing valve cover gaskets was something I could do in high school without screwing up too badly. And the valve covers leaked (warped I guess) until I discovered Permatex #2.

-------------------------

Occasionally a battery will drop a cell particularly if it's abused by a hard starting vehicle. Grind and grind and not only does the deep discharge wound the battery but you can generate enough heat to the point where the plates warp and short out. Getting the vehicle tuned up so it starts easily is half the battle. (Geez I'm wordy this morning)

Last edited by nighthawk; 07/20/19.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I never got less than 10 years service out of the original battery the auto came with.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I can always tell when mine are about to go. After hearing it start thousands of times if it starts a little slow then I can expect about one more start and it will not start again.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had one explode once was pretty scary and a real mess to clean up. The battery was 15 years old and the original. Shorted out when i tried to start it and when it blew up it was like a bomb.

living the good life every day
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Had one explode once was pretty scary and a real mess to clean up. The battery was 15 years old and the original. Shorted out when i tried to start it and when it blew up it was like a bomb.

Same with me. Woke up half the town at 6AM.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had one blow up in the battery box on a Mack. The battery box contained the acid from flying all over the place.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson

That said some of the newer vehicles seem to need more juice at start up for the all the electronic chit.

^^^THIS^^^

Had 2012 GMC with all of the bells and whistles. It was about 3 or 4 years old. All of a sudden, it would be deader than dead. You'd have to keep the cables on it for about 15 minutes, then it would fire right up. It would be fine for several days or a week, then it would be dead again. Thought it was kind of an electronic problem and was going to take it to the dealer. One Saturday morning I went hunting. There was about a foot or so of snow on the ground. I go out and shoot a big ass 8 point. I got the deer out to the edge of the field. Go back to the truck, it start right up. I drive across the field and shut it off and load the deer up. Get back into the truck and the bastard was dead. Walked about 1/2 mile back to the barns and got the farm hand and he brought a tractor out there and had to keep it on the cables for about a 1/2 hour until it started. Went directly to the battery store that I use and they load tested it and found a dead cell. It would be fine one minute and dead the next.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (222ND, 222Sako, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,064
Posts18,482,530
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.