L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by UPhiker
[quote=Szumi]We managed to get B-25's with bombs off of a WWII carrier (Dolittle raid on Tokyo). I'm thinking we could at least launch a partially armed A-10 off a carrier.

Props "bite" the air as soon as the plane starts to roll. Jets have to get a little speed up to force air into their intakes. That's why a jet doesn't slam the throttles all the way until it's rolling for a bit.

Bullshit. Fans put out maximum thrust standing still (fans are nothing more than a ducted prop). In all reality an A-10 already has landed and taken off from a carrier deck. They only had to modify the already in place tailhook and they didn't use a cat shot to get airborne. wink

[Linked Image]

That's a photoshopped pic. The original is an X-47B landing... The A-10 has never operated from a carrier. USAF fighters do however have a tailhook. It's used for emergency landings on USAF runways with BAK-12 arresting cables.

https://www.cnet.com/g00/news/hooked-x-47b-comes-in-for-a-carrier-landing/?i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3d&i10c.dv=19

"Jets have to get a little speed up to force air into their intakes" however, is entirely bullshit.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
GB1

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What other landplanes have experimentally or otherwise landed and/or taken off on a carrier? Any WWII AAF planes?

B-25 takeoff only

C-130 C-130 testing

OV-10 OV-10 testing

R4D (Navy C-47) R4D for Antarctica Takeoff only

Found one:

P-40 P-40 WWII carrier takeoff

Bruce

Last edited by bcp; 07/20/19.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just turn two keys at the same time in Wyoming and be done with it!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by LoadClear

That's a photoshopped pic. The original is an X-47B landing... The A-10 has never operated from a carrier. USAF fighters do however have a tailhook. It's used for emergency landings on USAF runways with BAK-12 arresting cables.

https://www.cnet.com/g00/news/hooked-x-47b-comes-in-for-a-carrier-landing/?i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3d&i10c.dv=19

"Jets have to get a little speed up to force air into their intakes" however, is entirely bullshit.

👍

Thanks for the verification.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Warthogs would be easy pickings for Iranian SAMs firing from Iran.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Take out the SAM batteries first with Wild Weasels- - - - -then splash their "Navy"!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
As I understand, many of their SAMs are shoulder fired.

There would be a place for Hornets if such become needed. Hornets are well suited to air to sea attack.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never underestimate an A-10C. Have saved thousands of lives and taken even more. They have been proven in Desert Storm, Kuwait, Iraq and now 15 +years in Afghaniland. A pemium CAS weapons platform.

Last edited by 280Rem1; 07/21/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Could it catapult, easily I'd say.
Nope.

So will the catapult not move it fast enough or will the air frame not take the G's? Will the plane be airborne at 150 knots or so?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Warthogs would be easy pickings for Iranian SAMs firing from Iran.

The Iraqui SAMs, which were the latest Soviet versions, didn't seem to hurt the warthogs in that war, in large part because we eliminated their control centers with stealth aircraft.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Could it catapult, easily I'd say.
Nope.

So will the catapult not move it fast enough or will the air frame not take the G's? Will the plane be airborne at 150 knots or so?

It needs beefed up landing gear and frame. The F35C carrier version weighs 1500-2000lbs (sources differ) more than the F35A land version.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An A-10 brings fear into the eyes of the enemy. Not fast and certainly not stealthy but they are tough to bring down and the close in fire power can take care of any ground based enemy. I used to love to watch them practicing near the Fort Drum target area in upstate NY. They come in low and slow and strafe the enemy then do a tight loop and come right back with another burst. When those minis let go it brings a chill to my mind. As far sams taking them out our advanced stealth technology f22- f35 along with cruise missiles eliminate them. When their tanks start to roll and the ground troops start to move that is when the A-10 shines.

Last edited by champlain_islander; 07/21/19.

living the good life every day
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I lived in central Louisiana, I could hear the 30 mms (England AFB) from about 20 miles away, if the wind was right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=Szumi]We managed to get B-25's with bombs off of a WWII carrier (Dolittle raid on Tokyo). I'm thinking we could at least launch a partially armed A-10 off a carrier.

Props "bite" the air as soon as the plane starts to roll. Jets have to get a little speed up to force air into their intakes. That's why a jet doesn't slam the throttles all the way until it's rolling for a bit.

Bullshit. Fans put out maximum thrust standing still (fans are nothing more than a ducted prop). In all reality an A-10 already has landed and taken off from a carrier deck. They only had to modify the already in place tailhook and they didn't use a cat shot to get airborne. wink

[Linked Image]

Galena still has arrester equipment from back in the day when they had a pair of F-15s stationed there during the Cold War. They had just put Galena and King Salmon on ready stand-by when I went to work downriver in 1993.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We were fishing out of Conneaut harbor last week when two A-10 came in low and put on a little show, I feel they are some of my best spent tax dollars !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by satx78247
Originally Posted by g5m
oldtrapper,

I was pleased that the A10 is being "updated" & will be around to help the next generation of GIs when they need them.

Yes. In spite of the Air Force brass.

g5m,

VERY TRUE. = The brass at HQ USAF never wanted the Warthog OR the CAS mission.
(CAS is VITAL for us ground-pounders but NOT "fancy" or glamorous enough for the Zoomies.)

Btw, when we Mike Papas talk about CAS & "Danger Close", we mean well-aimed fires within 10M of our fragile bodies.

Fyi, I've said for a long time that the A10 is PREFECTLY suited to the Army Aviation missions & that our LTs, Captains & Warrants would "have a ball" tearing up things IF they had the Warthog. = NO armored column, troop concentration, railway, bridge, tunnel, MSR, strong point and/or landing field would be safe from low speed/low level strafing/bombing by the Hog, when coordinated with fires from the other Army Aviation platforms.

Note to RVN vets: As I'm sure you remember, the Army HAD fixed-wing armed A/C in country & they were VERY effective at lots of tasks. - For example, what is now USASOCOM had OV-1 Mohawks that were "locally fitted with 7.62mm miniguns.

yours, tex
USA, Retired

satx USASOC did not exist until 1987. When MPs talk about CAS and Danger Close? I am surprised to learn that calling in CAS is part of the MP mission and 10 meters certainly does call for well aimed fire.grin

The A1 D Skyraiders were the Prop CAS planes that I saw the most.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only US planes that could provide CAS "danger close" in Nam were the A1E and OV10. Grunts don't enjoy having HE rain in their heads, particularly when delivered in large loads.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by bcp
What other landplanes have experimentally or otherwise landed and/or taken off on a carrier? Any WWII AAF planes?

B-25 takeoff only

C-130 C-130 testing

OV-10 OV-10 testing

Found one:

Bruce

The U-2
https://www.cia.gov/news-informatio...e-u-2-flights-off-aircraft-carriers.html

P-47's were routinely delivered to the Pacific theater via aircraft carrier:

Last edited by LoadClear; 07/21/19.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bcp

B-25 takeoff only

C-130 C-130 testing

OV-10 OV-10 testing

Found one:

Bruce

The U-2
https://www.cia.gov/news-informatio...e-u-2-flights-off-aircraft-carriers.html

P-47's were routinely delivered to the Pacific theater via aircraft carrier:

Interesting...

I wonder if they used the wing tip gear for takeoff and dropped them into the water or omitted them completely on the U-2.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by g5m
oldtrapper,

I was pleased that the A10 is being "updated" & will be around to help the next generation of GIs when they need them.

Yes. In spite of the Air Force brass.

g5m,

VERY TRUE. = The brass at HQ USAF never wanted the Warthog OR the CAS mission.
(CAS is VITAL for us ground-pounders but NOT "fancy" or glamorous enough for the Zoomies.)

Btw, when we Mike Papas talk about CAS & "Danger Close", we mean well-aimed fires within 10M of our fragile bodies.

Fyi, I've said for a long time that the A10 is PREFECTLY suited to the Army Aviation missions & that our LTs, Captains & Warrants would "have a ball" tearing up things IF they had the Warthog. = NO armored column, troop concentration, railway, bridge, tunnel, MSR, strong point and/or landing field would be safe from low speed/low level strafing/bombing by the Hog, when coordinated with fires from the other Army Aviation platforms.

Note to RVN vets: As I'm sure you remember, the Army HAD fixed-wing armed A/C in country & they were VERY effective at lots of tasks. - For example, what is now USASOCOM had OV-1 Mohawks that were "locally fitted with 7.62mm miniguns.

yours, tex
USA, Retired

satx USASOC did not exist until 1987. When MPs talk about CAS and Danger Close? I am surprised to learn that calling in CAS is part of the MP mission and 10 meters certainly does call for well aimed fire.grin

The A1 D Skyraiders were the Prop CAS planes that I saw the most.

mike r

The USAF LOVES CAS missions. They train it nearly every dang sortie! The reason the A-10 was on the chopping block was it was so fatigued and the previous budgets did not allow upgrades and improvements, it was the first viable option to be cut. It is a niche filling A/C. And with the current availability of insanely accurate, low NEW munitions, the gunfights are less and less needed.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 3,024 guests, and 1,454 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,265
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.