-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ground wars anywhere are suspect, particularly proxy wars such as we fight in the Mid East.

Most if not all of our enemies would quickly embrace peace if they believed we would nuke them. We are fighting wars on their terms. Silly idea that.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 07/21/19.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Ground wars anywhere are suspect, particularly proxy wars such as we fight in the Mid East.

Most if not all of our enemies would quickly embrace peace if they believed we would nuke them. We are fighting wars on their terms. Silly idea that.

Could be. But I don't think there will ever be a limited nuclear attack. If anybody starts tossing them, everybody will.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are no major nuke armed countries that will fall on their sword for any Mid East country, especially Russia and China.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Many have opinions about the Vietnam war. Few are based on experience and those that actually fought certainly did not do so for LBJ. To state that Vn. combat vets did not serve their country is mindless hindsight and propaganda that serves only personal agendas. I spent 27 months in RVN serving w/ both draftees and professional soldiers. For 15 months of that time I was among a group of warriors that lived and died for each other and did not want to be anywhere else. Burns produced nothing that resembled my tiny slice of the war nor any other combat vet that I know.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
David Hackworth's book, About Face, is the best book on Vietnam based on the infantry soldier's point of view. He doesn't cut the general officers any slack for the mismanagement of the troops and the Pentagon for lack of training to fight a guerilla war.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The Ken Burns "documentary" is not about the war, it's about the war protesters. It's a lopsided, elitist's view of what he "knows" was right because he's a superior intellect.

And that makes it garbage.

AMEN! Burns' program is nothing but leftist, elitist BS propaganda.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The *big* lie of the Vietnam war was, it was to liberate an oppressed people from the imposition of Communism. That was what was fed to the American public. But a majority of the Vietnamese, both north *and* south just viewed the whole affair as an invasion by a foreign entity.

The French has already poisoned the well before America ever got involved in the matter.

Consequently, the American government ended up fighting a two front war in Vietnam. One war was waged against the north. The other war was fought against the people that the American public was being told were being liberated. (Viet Cong)

Of course,..that's not a revelation. Pretty much everybody knows that. But it's illustrative of how fugged up the whole thing was.

Tet demonstrated that the whole justification for the war was a lie.

It was a very hard sell to the American people after that. But LBJ just kept pushing it anyway.

He refused to admit his mistake,...his lie.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
on the hd vietnam documentary on pbs, about the most horrifying thing was seeing the helicopters being pushed overboard from the ships to allow room for more south vietnamese citizens who were escaping with us.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Your grasp of history is.....tenuous.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

I assumed you would have something to say about it.

Now,..defend LBJ.

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Here's my take away from a lot of the insanity that the American government has engaged in.

The Psychopaths who frequently land in the higher ranks of government can cause the deaths of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people, for extremely dubious justifications and never lose a wink of sleep over it.

I know from reading that McNamara had a hard time in later life coming to terms with the role he played. McNamara was a bean counter from Ford who applied his way of thinking, his education in manufacturing, to warfare,....and I don't think he really pondered the ramifications of his actions until he became an old man and reflected back on it. I ever think LBJ had some bad times in later life reflecting back on what he had caused.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Bristoe

mike r

I assumed you would have something to say about it.

Now,..defend LBJ.

Why would anyone defend LBJ? Just to demonstrate your ignorance your interpretation of the Tet offensive has no basis in truth. One of the principle NVA objectives was a general uprising of the citizens of the South which did not even come close to occurring. The NVA and the VC lost thousands of troops and their success was afforded them by the liberal media not military prowess. Mark Bowden's excellent book, Hue 1968, illustrates what was probably one of the most brilliant attacks in the history of warfare and still the enemy died by the thousands because of miscalculations about the support of the So. Vietnamese and the resolve and capabilities of the Americans, espescially the USMC.

Congratulations on winning the Walter Cronkite award for gullibility.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Why would anyone defend LBJ?

mike r

Well,....you said that everybody you served with in Vietnam was happy to be there,...and LBJ put them there.

So,...it's only reasonable to think that they were happy with the person who put them where they wanted to be.

,..or do you want to modify your previous post?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I know more than a few people who were in combat. I was raised by one of them. I've never heard any of them say anything about wanting to be in that situation.

All in all,..I think most of them would have rather spent that time in titty bars.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Why would anyone defend LBJ?

mike r

Well,....you said that everybody you served with in Vietnam was happy to be there,...and LBJ put them there.

So,...it's only reasonable to think that they were happy with the person who put them where they wanted to be.

,..or do you want to modify your previous post?

Your self delusion is profound, your willingness to misrepresent the words of others is dishonest. Myself and many others joined the military to try to become warriors. We weren't duped into an unpopular cause we jumped in with enthusiasm and dedication to our peers. We reveled in learning that we could hack it and enjoyed ROEs that would make Attila cringe. You choose to embrace failure and want to believe that everyone should share your lack of standards and revel in ignorance.

You are not qualified by training or experience to debate this issue but have the freedom to run your suck because of the sacrifices by others. Continue to regale us with your learned opinions and drunken rants.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I was among a group of warriors that lived and died for each other and did not want to be anywhere else.
mike r

If they didn't want to be anywhere else then they were obviously happy that LBJ put them in the place that they wanted to be to the exclusion of everywhere else in the universe.

So defend LBJ.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I know more than a few people who were in combat. I was raised by one of them. I've never heard any of them say anything about wanting to be in that situation.

All in all,..I think most of them would have rather spent that time in titty bars.

Educate yourself. The Special Operations Association is having a little get together 21-5 Oct. 2019 in Las Vegas. Come on by and I'll introduce you to some guys who would love to listen to your insider opinions.

For your edification most of the NCO clubs in RVN would but the titty bars at home to shame. One of the percs was an endless supply of LBFMs.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If someone bought me a private island in the Pacific with a mansion to live in,..I would be able to say that I didn't want to be anywhere else and I would sing their praises from the rafters,...yet LVmiker says that he was in Vietnam with a group of people who didn't want to be anywhere else,...yet he says that he can't defend LBJ.

That doesn't make sense.

So,....how much of what he says is legit,.....and how much is bullshit?

I'm starting to think that 99% of it is bullshit.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Educate yourself. The Special Operations Association is having a little get together 21-5 Oct. 2019 in Las Vegas. Come on by and I'll introduce you to some guys who would love to listen to your insider opinions.

For your edification most of the NCO clubs in RVN would but the titty bars at home to shame. One of the percs was an endless supply of LBFMs.

mike r

Make sure to post some pics of you at that gathering.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Come on down and we can go together, and you can call me a liar in person. Yet another innanet savant that drinks and drugs beyond their capability. Having a discussion with you is like trying to teach a room full of special needs kids to whistle.

Defend LBJ? you shame yourself.....again.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 17,194 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,322
Posts18,545,881
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.