Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

We have had 2 young bears hanging out around the house..... wife thought they were "cute" even while they were eating our blueberries and poking around in the garden. A few days ago this one decided to just set up shop below where the bird feeders had been and did not want to leave (make sure sound is on to hear the lecture).

The bear came right back after the video clip ended.... Had a total "what are you going to do about it attitude". I dumped a .308 round into the lawn beside it at that point and it ran away in a big hurry....

I told one of the local good old boys about being displeased with having to take the bird feeders down for a second year in a row.... he made disparaging remarks about my manhood... When I asked about how "real Southern mountain men" deal with a bear 20 feet outside their door... he told me peanut butter crackers with ghost pepper powder in the middle would work like a charm....

The bird feeders are back up and the game cam is set in hopes of filming a dramatic reaction....

Please don't feed the trolls!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
SSS

My diploma is a DD214
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got an error message? The clip is hilarious.. technical help?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Got an error message? The clip is hilarious.. technical help?

Try a right click on the black video box, a menu comes up with troubleshoot issue or some such, maybe that will help?

Good luck,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You want it to look like that?

Your using the wrong URL.

When you are on YT under your video there is a "share" tab Click that tab and it will automatically copy the proper URL to your clip board..

I know some times the URL in your address bar can work, but not always.

If the video is playing when you copy it from your address bar and then you come here and paste it to your post it will fail every time here.

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you Jeff.... also a big thanks to Starsplitter (aka Dave) who lives 2 ridge tops over from me for loading the clip onto his YouTube channel. He had a bigger bear on his porch last year.... Dave retired here for the dark sky conditions he needed to build an observatory. Check out his sight for a look at the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains when you look up at night

http://www.blueridge-observatory.net/observatory.htm

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I've turned my dogs loose on a couple like that. My dogs wouldn't kill the bear (my one wirehair might have tried but luckily he didn't have an opportunity) but they would harass the bear enough to convince it to go elsewhere. If that were to have failed, the law here provides one to handle the problem by other means up to and including killing the bear.

I haven't had to resort to the last at my places but I have dealt with problem bears for others. Most of the time the homeowners were the cause and furtherance of the bear's poor behavior. These same people invariably have poorly mannered pets, if they have any. There seems to be a connection with the last part.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No problem, Nuttin to it....

Pretty gutsie little bear there, he might need a good butt spanking with some low-base birdshot yet.

Your friend Dave has an amazing telescope, I enlarged his profile picture on his YT site to get a better look at it.
That has got to be a blast to play with..

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thats one brave little bear, he needs re-educated badly! Also i checked out your friends website, wow thats a sweet setup he has there and his photos are amazing!

IC B3

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been posting here since 2004...… getting that clip was the first time I became motivated enough to want to learn how to put one up. I figured Dave would have the technical skills to walk me through it.... I just spoke with him and asked that he put up his bear on the porch photo from last year.... his encounter was closer than mine....

Something messed with one of the ghost pepper peanut butter sandwiches. I found the bottom half about 3 feet from where it had been.... guessing it was a squirrel.... looking for the card reader now grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2ndwind;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust that other than having a youngster making a nuisance of himself that all else is right with you and yours.

Here's a possible way to do it - the Canuck way... wink

In all seriousness however, we've got a wrist rocket type slingshot at every entrance of the house and shop, along with a selection of ball bearings and marbles.

Yard bears get one verbal warning, then will be fired upon with a less than lethal projectile. So far - 26 years and counting - the many bears in the yard have seen things my way after the verbal warning.

That said, I'm told that for a less than large man, I have a loud "dog voice" which seems to convey the intent in a "meaningful way" to the bears.

Even a little, young bear can put one into a world of hurt so we don't tolerate them around whatsoever.

Good luck with your bear and all the best to you folks this summer.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 07/21/19. Reason: added for clarity - hopefully

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Dwayne, I grew up along the boarder with Canada and always enjoyed the Canadians I've met (don't know any of your liberal politicians though.... like to keep it that way). I moved South in 1991 and for the most part have enjoyed Southern culture as well. My wife and I have a friend who has a signature line that reads, "We're Southern here... we are all very polite..... right up until the time you need shooting!".

Local gun shop says they can order a box of 12 gauge rubber buckshot…. wrist rocket sounds like a less expensive option though.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rubber buckshot is what many wardens, cops etc use to "de-habituate" and discourage bears from human contact. I know some of the fellas up by my uncles old camp used to smack bears with it when they got a little too comfortable around the cabins n started damaging stuff.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Bottle rockets....work like a charm.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anybody else remember the rubber ball in an old-school computer mouse? One of those from a wrist rocket would get a stray dog's attention in a hurry!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Bottle rockets....work like a charm.

Yep fireworks work great too!

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"de-habituate"... That is a catchy term... There were some State Troopers hanging out in the gun shop when I showed up with the bear lecture clip. They said rubber buckshot works great for prison riots. You don't really need to aim, just point in the general direction and the mini super balls bounce off the walls enough to deescalate any cell block....

35.00 for a box of 25... Thinking I'd load the rest of the magazine with real buckshot in case the bear had more of a fight vs flight instinct….

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yeah i know the one time i saw it done there was one warden with a shotty loaded with the rubber shot and his partner had a shotty loaded with the real stuff dont know if it was buckshot or slugs

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Electric fencing is a good bear deterrent.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (16penny, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 49 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,868
Posts18,497,485
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.