-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wrangler, I have to say that the only advantage I can glean to the process you described above is that once you pay for the $300 dies set it is free. My Cream of Wheat process (because grits are much too precious to waste on fireforming ;)) requires a primer, about 15 grains of Bullseye and a penny's worth of COW. It'd be interesting to graph out the point at which the $ per case lines cross. My gut tells me the barrel would wear out before the lines crossed, but what the heck do I know?

It's all sure fun anyway,
Rex

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Wrangler, I have to say that the only advantage I can glean to the process you described above is that once you pay for the $300 dies set it is free. My Cream of Wheat process (because grits are much too precious to waste on fireforming ;)) requires a primer, about 15 grains of Bullseye and a penny's worth of COW. It'd be interesting to graph out the point at which the $ per case lines cross. My gut tells me the barrel would wear out before the lines crossed, but what the heck do I know?

It's all sure fun anyway,
Rex

I came to the same conclusion. I even made my own case forming die for one cartridge, and concluded that with the additional work and hassle, it was easier to just fireform with cream of wheat.

You can tell who the Yankees are with all the complaining about grits...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Love grits, even though I'm a northerner, though with some Southern Baptists in the family tree. Which is one reason I use COW....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love Cream of Wheat!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I had several hundred Privi 22 Hornet factory rounds to fireform to K Hornet that grouped aweful while fireforming. I considered pulling bullets, but ended up using a large round of firewood in the garage rather than running back and forth to the range. Had to sneak out when the wife was gone over the course of a week or so, but worked great!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kingston
I love Cream of Wheat!

You mean like...to eat?? Dang, you must be outta grits.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've lived in the northwest most of my life but my Dad's side of the family is definitely southern and grits were always on the menu when staying at my grandparents - I like 'em!

Regarding fireforming in the garage, I fireformed 400 22 Hornet rounds to K-Hornet by shooting factory PRVI ammo into a 24" round of firewood. The round of wood was starting to come apart by the time I was done and I never had any complaints from the neighbors.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by KenMi
I built a 4" pvc pipe system to do mine. End reduced to a bushing just slightly larger than the barrel. 90 degree bend and turned to 3", and went into a trash can with some water in it to catch the dust.

I tried something similar with a 4' section of pipe. Made a sort of muffler with foam noodles and section of chain link top rail. The entire unit self destructed after 50 shots. Does your set up have an open end cap? I think that was my mistake.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Originally Posted by Tejano
Never had Shrimp & Grits before? Or fried with maple syrup or Cheese grits? Must be a Yankee.

For sure I'm a Yankee. I've been all over the US and after living in the south, I'll never choose to live south of I-80. Too danged hot down there. And I don't seem to get along with fire ants and mosquitos as well as Southerners. Friendly people, good food, great tea, beautiful ladies with fascinating accents, just not for me!

You have to get one of those pretty suhthern gals to marry you, "then" you leave that hot, humid, miserable rain/mud, snakes, red bugs (chiggers) roach infested, black mold, cancer cluster place for Utah/Montana/WY, etc..ha. Leave the grits to those who can appreciate them ( along with boiled okry, boiled peanuts, liver n lights, tripe, head cheese, pickled pigs feet, calf brains/scrambled eggs, you know, left over recipes from when the Great Depression ran its course...) smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (117LBS, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 47 invisible), 2,861 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,730
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.