-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a cast iron skillet pop like that one time. I was frying bacon in it at Mom and Dad's on an electric stove. The only thing I could figure, was it had been hanging in a cold closet that butted up against the stairs into our unheated attic. Scared the crap out of me when it blew, I remember that for sure. Not trying to hijack your thread, but I've got a pressure cooker explosion story too. The damned safety valve blew and an entire chicken was blasted out through that little hole, bones and all. We were picking bone fragments out of the sheetrock for a week. Dad ended up ripping out the whole kitchen and redoing it. As for the pressure cooker, it became a glorified pot.

Last edited by gophergunner; 07/23/19.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Gas weld with a carburizing flame, pre and post heat keeping the entire pan hot... stich weld using a coat hanger and when done bury in sand. will need some grinding an polishing and a lot of patience.

Phil

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlering
I have A cast Griswold Griddle, was cooking some Sausage this morning and heard a Large Pop, I fig a bird had with one of the windows! but went to flip the patties and saw a large crack going thru the bottom of the Griddle! never had known of this Happening! it was a made in the USA Griddle! has this happened to anyone else? Kinda Bummed me out!

Yep, have one like this G #9, sitting in the easy chair waiting for it to come up to heat for tortillas and heard a loud pop, I assumed it was the glass top stove or the griddle and it's now missing a 1.5" x .75" chunk of the rim.

[Linked Image]

Dave

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I have a cast griddle, a good one, not sure of the make as it is 630 miles away. It broke years ago, I brazed it on the bottom side. It gets used at times.

Ya beat me toit, Wabbi. This^^^^.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by RDW
I have A cast Griswold Griddle, was cooking some Sausage this morning and heard a Large Pop, I fig a bird had with one of the windows! but went to flip the patties and saw a large crack going thru the bottom of the Griddle! never had known of this Happening! it was a made in the USA Griddle! has this happened to anyone else? Kinda Bummed me out!

Yep, have one like this G #9, sitting in the easy chair waiting for it to come up to heat for tortillas and heard a loud pop, I assumed it was the glass top stove or the griddle and it's now missing a 1.5" x .75" chunk of the rim.

[Linked Image]

Ive heard those tops get too hot too quick.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes fellows it was on an Ele, glass top stove , I hate it and will never buy another one! A lady I no told me she had heard that the glass tops get to hot to quick to use cast stuff on.!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The REASON they crack/break is that cast iron needs to be brought up to temp a little more gradually than just cranking it on high...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes fellows it was on an Ele, glass top stove , I hate it and will never buy another one! A lady I no told me she had heard that the glass tops get to hot to quick to use cast stuff on.!

We have a glass top. Wonder if a slow warm up would be better.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Our electric glass top stove has three different size burners -- two small, one each - medium and large. May be that because of the size of direct heat contact surface of a cast iron griddle, it could possibly crack if heated over a too small burner on an electric glass top stove due to the smaller area of quick, intense heat buildup.

Edit: Also, our electric stove has a black glass top which makes it difficult (for me) to tell if a pot or pan is centered directly over a burner. And as glass tops are so slick compared to traditional open top burners, the slightest bump can cause a pot/pan to slide off center of a burner.

Last edited by joken2; 07/24/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Bet it had an existing fracture that finally found the right conditions to crack.

Might be a bit hard to replace too... frown

I have a pre 1900 Griswold that developed a crack. Small, but if I used it, it leaked grease. It's a wall hanger now. A REALLY good welder that knows cast iron can repair it, but for me it wasn't worth it.

Sam......

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have A cast Griswold Griddle, was cooking some Sausage this morning and heard a Large Pop.......Kinda Bummed me out!

That would more than bum me out.

I have a 24"x12" griddle which rests across 2 burners & stays on the cooktop at all times. We cook 90% of our short order grub on it. I would lament its loss.

I also have a very large griddle that covers all 5 burners on my 30" cooktop. It weighs about 35 lbs & it has been responsible for many large family feedings.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes mine will be a wall hanger too about a 5" crack. its square about 10" across with about an inch side walls! realy liked it! but from now on im going heat the rest of them up slower! as I had it on high and had just turned it down to med. a min. before the POP!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,844
Posts18,496,917
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.