Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
TheSOB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I have a chance to take a early retirement. The issue is I will be stuck finding my own health insurance for 2 1/2 years until medicare kicks in, and after a bout with cancer, nobody is going to want to insure me. Just curious what other are paying and any advice on finding insurance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no worry about pre-existing conditions. You can enroll in your new policy either via the exchange or through a broker when you quit your job (outside open enrollment period) so you don't have a coverage gap.

Prices vary greatly between states and even counties. Google is your friend.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I retired 4 years before 65. Believe I paid a little over $1000 per month for coverage.

NRA Patron
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If your married and your wife works use hers! If that's not an option, get ready to layout 900 to 1200 a month. Or work until your eligible for Medicare! I was lucky enough to use my wife's until she's retired.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being self employed my wife and I pay $2850.00 per month. Silver plan with ACA.
Thanks to BHO and his health care plan. Yeah, It's free health care-- right.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had to sign up for Cobra after my last surgery because my Dr would not release me to return to work. Its $1800 a month and we can only do Cobra for 18 months then we have to go to the exchange. We did Cobra because it covered a lot of my immunosuppressant med which is about $60,000 a year without insurance. No fun when your insurance is more than any mortgage you've ever had.

Bb

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I retired at 55 and my co paid approx 2200 a month and I paid 500. I know its crazy but remember when someone gets something for free guess who pays for it............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Being self employed my wife and I pay $2850.00 per month. Silver plan with ACA.
Thanks to BHO and his health care plan. Yeah, It's free health care-- right.

ouch! So, " if you like your plan you can keep your plan", no matter how many times it was repeated..... over and over and over..... was not true? WOw.!
frown

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If your wife is still working, try to go on her insurance. If not, try to carry forward on your insurance from where you currently work with Cobra for 18 months. That will leave you with only 6 months to bridge to Medicare with Obamacare through the Marketplace.

This is basically what I did. But, I had to bridge 9 months instead of 6.

Once you're to Medicare, you're pretty much Home Free. If you have pre-existing conditions that you are concerned about that may not be covered totally under Medicare, get a Medicare upplement from United American. They are the best. I did a lot of research before coming up with that. Don't let somebody talk you into a Medicare replacement plan.

Good luck!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I had to sign up for Cobra after my last surgery because my Dr would not release me to return to work. Its $1800 a month and we can only do Cobra for 18 months then we have to go to the exchange. We did Cobra because it covered a lot of my immunosuppressant med which is about $60,000 a year without insurance. No fun when your insurance is more than any mortgage you've ever had.

Bb

Have you looked into applying for disability? If accepted you can get medicare which with a supplement policy would be about $300 per month.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great idea. United American has a great Medicare supplement plan. $252/mo and I pay 0 at the Dr's office.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not only is the insurance for self employed nothing but a wealth transfer tax, but how about "you can keep your doctor"? Fugging joke. The liberal fuhgtards have completely screwed this deal and the RINOS who ran on repealing it, all lied as well. The RINOS had every chance to fix it the first 2 years of Trump and did not want to. So we're stuck getting screwed every month by this deal.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
$2800 a month ???

No fuggin way, just go die in the woods like an old sick cat.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Goodness.... At 2800/mo you could self insure... especially when you figure what your deductible in the mix...

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

Have you looked into applying for disability? If accepted you can get medicare which with a supplement policy would be about $300 per month.

This seems to be the present scam, find a crooked Doc to say you are disabled so you can retire early.

Swifty
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Find a decent broker. They know the ins and outs of the local insurance remember things are hard to undo

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Who in the hell you all trying to bull [bleep]? If it wasn't for the ACA most of you wouldn't have any coverage at all. Premums were skyrocketing from the 70's on. Most insurance plans had Million dolar life time limits. 18 years of age was the cut-off age for your kids. And there was no pre existing condition coverage at all. As to premiums, Cobra was more than $1,200 a month in '98. By 2000, insurance companies were getting so slow in paying most doctors demandad fees up-front and left it up to you to be reinbursed from your insurance companies. As to the ACA you all didn't want it, half of your states didn't enroll in it... so you got what you deserve. But even then you still bebifited from the doing away with the life time limits, pre-existing conditions, and the raising of the age your kids were covered. All part of the ACA

As to doing something different... you all are just too damn stupid. You had both houses of congress from 2012 untill 2018 and did nothing, both houses and the presidency if you can call him that for 2 years and did nothing. You all don't even have a plan to this date... NOTHING

So complain all you want, your only showing your ignorance!

Phil

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Who in the hell you all trying to bull [bleep]? If it wasn't for the ACA most of you wouldn't have any coverage at all. Premums were skyrocketing from the 70's on. Most insurance plans had Million dolar life time limits. 18 years of age was the cut-off age for your kids. And there was no pre existing condition coverage at all. As to premiums, Cobra was more than $1,200 a month in '98. By 2000, insurance companies were getting so slow in paying most doctors demandad fees up-front and left it up to you to be reinbursed from your insurance companies. As to the ACA you all didn't want it, half of your states didn't enroll in it... so you got what you deserve. But even then you still bebifited from the doing away with the life time limits, pre-existing conditions, and the raising of the age your kids were covered. All part of the ACA

As to doing something different... you all are just too damn stupid. You had both houses of congress from 2012 untill 2018 and did nothing, both houses and the presidency if you can call him that for 2 years and did nothing. You all don't even have a plan to this date... NOTHING

Phil

I needed a laugh today, thanks for the distorted facts other then pre-existing conditions. I paid 125 bucks a month before Obongo was president I now pay close to 600 , must be a figment of my imagination or is that 4x as much?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There are a whole bunch of people in my office who could give Phil an earful about before and after.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Greyghost

Phil

Show me one person who has cheaper ins. now then they did before ACA. Just one. If you can, that person sure as hell ain't a workin' man...FACT!!!

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,928
Posts18,498,623
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.