Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 117 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 116 117
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I want to believe but I just can't seem to find a mammal with evidence of the animal it evolved from.

Are you qualified to see that if it was there?? Which it is, by the way. Every animal bears overwhelming evidence of evolution.

Take humans alone, and take a look at our spine, where it attaches to our pelvis and skull, and you can see that this is all constructed for quadrupedalism, and only partially adapted to bipedalism. This is why we so often damage our backs with heavy lifting. That S-shape is the adaptation. It's good enough for the most part so that we can walk upright, but it's a post hoc adaptation of a quadrupedal skeleton.

[Linked Image]

Then there's the nerve (vagus) attachment from our brain's speech center to our larynx. It takes a long detour, rather than being directly connected in a straight line. This is because when that nerve first appeared, our ancestors were fish, had no necks, and their hearts were right up close to their heads (back then, it was a straight line connection). As a result, as our ancestors developed necks, and our hearts moved further away from our heads, the nerve link between the brain and the voice box was on the wrong side of the right subclavian artery. This nerve serves no other function but to connect the speech center of our brains to our larynx, so the detour pathway it takes cannot be explained in any other way.

[Linked Image]

Then take dew claws not infrequently appearing on dogs' hind legs (one of my dogs was born with one such dew claw on his right hind leg, but not on his left). Wolves don't have them. It's a throwback to the distant ancestors of canids who had five toes on all four feet like wolverines.

[Linked Image]

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Then there's the nerve (vagus) attachment from our brain's speech center to our larynx. It takes a long detour, rather than being directly connected in a straight line. This is because when that nerve first appeared, our ancestors were fish, had no necks, and their hearts were right up close to their heads (back then, it was a straight line connection). As a result, as our ancestors developed necks, and our hearts moved further away from our heads, the nerve link between the brain and the voice box was on the wrong side of the right subclavian artery. This nerve serves no other function but to connect the speech center of our brains to our larynx, so the detour pathway it takes cannot be explained in any other way.

Today I learned ancient fish could speak.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Today I learned ancient fish could speak.

Oh, damn! You just stumped the entirety of evolutionary biology ... NOT! grin

It was, at that time, a nerve connection from the fish brain to the structure that eventually became our voice box. But I think you knew that. wink

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So, is God supposed to be some sort of a non material entity? If so, what is this non material, this mysterious spirit stuff that can create a material universe through an act of magic?

And why is this more believable for some than naturalistic processes that we can readily examine and test?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DBT
So, is God supposed to be some sort of a non material entity? If so, what is this non material, this mysterious spirit stuff that can create a material universe through an act of magic?

And why is this more believable for some than naturalistic processes that we can readily examine and test?

Science isn't the enemy of spirituality. It doesn't touch on that question one way or another, because spirituality is non-disprovable. Science will not, and cannot, look at any non-disprovable questions.

IC B2

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by DBT

Science isn't the enemy of spirituality. It doesn't touch on that question one way or another, because spirituality is non-disprovable. Science will not, and cannot, look at any non-disprovable questions.

Sorry, that wasn't the question. I did not say that spirituality is the enemy of science.

Posting on the phone typo....left out the 'not' the enemy....

Last edited by DBT; 07/26/19.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It’s a good thing that this guy is so stupid, or his presentation would be a really really tough one for the evolutionists to answer.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Origin of life questions have nothing to do with evolution science. It's a different field, and largely speculative.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Origin of life questions have nothing to do with evolution science. It's a different field, and largely speculative.

He gets into the evolution a bit as well.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Looks like he's saying that what happened couldn't have happened. That's a pretty weak starting position.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I can not see this thread solving much. Once again, it takes a larger leap of faith to embrace evolution then creationism.

It takes no faith. We have evidence. Faith is a belief held without the support of evidence.

more precisely, the substance of faith is something purely IMAGINED due to the complete absence of PROOF.

Christians that tell you the proof is all around you, evidently have no idea what constitutes faith.

they have NO proof of a spirit fathering a virgin birth or days old corpse coming back to life.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Gotta get them young before they know better.

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Stagnation is extinction. EVERYthing changes in response to the (also changing) environment. That's how evolution happens and why it MUST happen.

Well put Rocky. Quantum Physics certainly has proven that. A cell must evolve to its environment to stay alive.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I've read the old Testament, and to me it seems obvious that many of the stories are not meant to be taken literally. Alot of it would be ridiculous if you took the events depicted as being literally true.

I don't see that evolution being true means there is no God. Why would it? It just means that the creation myths aren't literally true stories, but why does it matter? Do they need to be true stories for God to exist?

I have no opinion on the matter,really, because I'm simply not educated enough on the issue to really understand it. I can listen to one side of the argument and be like"yeah that sounds right and very convincing"....but then I'll watch a video from the other side and think then same thing. I guess i don't care enough about how it happened to put in the effort to do the huge amount of research it would take to really understand it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Materialistic evolution — the process of chance perturbations (and then mutations, almost off of which are fatal) over billions of years leading to all life from a common ancestor — is a philosophy, not hard science. A world view whose attitude of human arrogance emanating from the enlightenment and then the father of geology, Charles Lyle, in the1700’s and early 1800’s, wanting to describe a geology countering “the Moses account” needing billions of years of slow processes called Uniformitarianism.

He set the stage for the acceptance of billions of years which in 1859 Charles Darwin (also a non-believer) built on with his ”Origens.” This gave a ”possible” worldview many found easier to believe than a sovereign God they were accountable to. Darwin’s Science was at an elementary level and the rest conjecture.

Where did any original material come from in the first place?
There are no transitional fossils in the record nor living ones?
There is more than a whole set of encyclopedia Britannica’s information in one simple cell. Where does information directing the cell come from? Where does New information come from in the presumed increasing complexity of creatures? (The electron microscope was not even around until the early 20th century. Darwin had no idea of the complexity of the cell.). Crick of DNA fame and an atheist, has realized the total lack of credibility in evolution and has decided on transpermia — that “we” were “seeded” from someplace in outer space!!!
There are arguably fifty or so physical constants that off one place behind the decimal point would make this globe uninhabitable — you might say it was custom-fitted for human habitation.
You can direct genetic traffic within a species to make different varieties but each time there is a loss of genetic information. There is never a gain in genetic information — you cannot go from the Pomeranian back to the wolf.
C14- and radioisotope dating that everyone hangs their hat on are rife with interpretation problems and bias.

I don’t have the time to go on but a question: why do you think the ID (Intelligent Design) movement got started in the ‘90’s? Because there is too much genetic information and complexity, and the scientific knowledge (true hard science) that has been gained shows pure materialistic evolution to a dream’s fantasy. It’s so deeply imbedded in academia and the sciences and culture as dogma that it will die a slow death but it is dying in your life time.

The blithely made statements made out of complete ignorance here are always amazing. I.e., there wasn’t room on the ark for all the animals? Perhaps, say, 80% of the animals were insects and small creatures and the behemoth kind were very young or juveniles. Also these “kinds” were not species but a higher category of immense genetic information from which species and varieties could be later generated.

Fearing God is the beginning of wisdom.

You are just wrong on EVERY level.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Thanks. Imagine the shear size and complexity of Noah's boat! Had to been absolutely fantastic.

5 guys and bronze tools......that would take a while to construct.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I don't see that evolution being true means there is no God. Why would it? It just means that the creation myths aren't literally true stories, but why does it matter? Do they need to be true stories for God to exist?

Claro, That all depends on how a theist defines their particular god. For those with a literalist definition of their god, then yes, the stories must be true. If not it demonstrates their god is counter indicated by facts, and foundation of their faith falls.

For those who look at the Bible as a series of parables, it matters not if the stories are literally true, so long as it relates some truth about human nature.

As an example, lets take the story of Jonah. It's not really about someone getting swallowed by a whale.

It's a story about the futility of running from one's responsibilities.

For the literalist, it matters that a whale cannot swallow a person. For the moralist, what matters is Jonah tried to run across the sea, but he couldn't escape his responsibility. The whale was just a plot device to take him back.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/26/19.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I can not see this thread solving much. Once again, it takes a larger leap of faith to embrace evolution then creationism.

It takes no faith. We have evidence. Faith is a belief held without the support of evidence.

more precisely, the substance of faith is something purely IMAGINED due to the complete absence of PROOF.

Christians that tell you the proof is all around you, evidently have no idea what constitutes faith.

they have NO proof of a spirit fathering a virgin birth or days old corpse coming back to life.

There seems to be a preference for magical explanations, research and discovery coming a poor second.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Looks like he's saying that what happened couldn't have happened. That's a pretty weak starting position.

What does he know? He was just named one of the 50 most influential scientists in the world.

Page 14 of 117 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,129
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.