Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I used the one that came with that Williams Firesight set, but it had to be filed down a little to fit. I didn’t see that set listed on their site, but a call to them might get you one. Otherwise, you might have to whittle some brass stock to fit.

I just got done sighting in an early Deluxe Deerslayer, the one that came with a factory-mounted Williams receiver sight. With nothing else on hand, I used the original orange triangle. Ithaca also had a black triangle that came with some models, but I haven’t seen one since the ‘60s or early ‘70s.

That rib on the Deerslayer barrel is just begging to be drilled and tapped for a base for a red dot, or the dovetail base Skinner sells.

EDIT: They make a bunch of
Firesights for pistols with narrow bases. One of those might be relatively easy to fit, but again, a call to Williams for their help would be a good place to start.

If your rear site has 2 flats you can install a scout scope or red dot. You need good .22 rings (Millett is what Ithaca recommends, I called and asked) just mount them as far forward as the grove allows, as they can slip.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Those flats in the grove are for .22 rings.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That looks like a new 37. The newest one I’ve had was made in 1963, and those grooves aren’t present.

BTW, any shotgun with a vent rib can make use of a Meadow Creek mount for a red dot. The one I have puts a FF3 really low on the rib. I’ve used it on a CZ O/U and by happy coincidence the same base fits my Gold Hunter 20ga. Very solid.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
All suggestions are appreciated.
I would really like to stay with iron sights.
A few years ago I contacted Williams re the front sight for older Deerslayers & was told they were out of stock & no longer made.
I have seen several front sights at my local stores that could work if I re-filed the base to fit the older Deerslayer, but I am unsure of the height measurement. I really don’t want to file down several front sight bases.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jim, this one looks like it has possibilities:

https://www.hivizsights.com/product/target-front-sight-for-all-glock-models/

Maybe there’s another replacement Glock sight that doesn’t come quite so dear.

I’m futzing around with some other Hi-Viz sight parts that I found in my Box-o-Crap. If it pans out, I’ll post it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This is NOT what I started out to do, which turned out to be a bust, but in my little pile of Hi-Viz fiber optic sights I picked out of a clearance bin someplace, there was magnetic model intended for mounting on shotgun ribs. Turns out it’s a perfect fit for the front base on my Ithaca. Those magnets (3) are very strong, but a little super glue wouldn’t be a bad idea for strength. Also, trimming the end(s) to eliminate anything hanging over would help prevent catching it on stuff. The one I tried is the Birdbuster, I think, and comes with round and triangulare light pipes in red and green. It’s much brighter than the original, and sits quit a bit higher, which might be handy for use with replacement rear sights.

https://www.hivizsights.com/product/birdbuster-bb2005-magnetic-front-shotgun-sight/

Not elegant, but workable I think….

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Interesting! Thank you Pappy.
I might have something similar in my gun parts box.
In case I don’t, I appreciate the link.

T
T
I just Found this thread and liked your set up so I just ordered the rear sight set up. I wish The fire sight set was still available so I could Get that front sight you have in the previous pictures. It looks quite a bit taller than the factory sight , does the peep set up give you enough adjustment to compensate for that ? I may try to figure something else out like you did in this picture but I want To make sure I get the right height.
Thanks !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,152
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.