Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I honestly don't know Mark Sullivan, (so this is just an observation) but from the videos I've seen, he maneuvers "himself" into the "coup de grace", even to the point of provoking a wounded animal. So, yeah, he has had a lot of practice shooting charging meanies. But the other guy is paying $20K+ for the hunt. I can say though, lots of folks seem to like hunting with him ( I guess, is he still around)

When I hire a hunt, I want to do all the killing unless I let the guide know ahead of time when he can shoot. Now, I am not a Big 5 or Bear hunter, and I understand how the "lets all shoot until we get the wiggle out of him" works. Its the guides expertise on surviving weather/first aid/safety, etc...thatst a bigger judge of a mans courage of taking care of a client than going tow to toe with Big Humpback Bear ( yes, I freely admit they make my rectum tighten up! ha Scary) At least to me. I too like Mr Shoemakers writings, especially how he looks at how a rifle is to be used, etc, what will work, etc.

Talking to Mark I learned all I needed to know about him. Mark is about Mark. And apparently there's a lot of monkey business that goes on to get all the charge footage.

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Joe Want is an Alaskan based legend who doesn't have any books written about him. He is kind of like Chuck Norris. He has the handshake of corn shoveler and he is in his late 70s maybe early 80s. Joe's advice on sheep hunting... get a pair of hip waders and just walk up a creek till you get to the sheep. He would go up to his hunt area by driving mules 260 miles in the summer and then driving them out after the season. Joe hunted under Pinnell and Talifson and guided on Kodiak with a Dominion Grade 500 Nitro express double rifle that was coated with johnson pastewax and not a shred of bluing. I would expect that Phil has some Joe Want stories. The guy does everything the old fashioned way like Woodrow Call on Lonesome Dove. He is an Alaskan treasure. Even at his age I wouldn't mind him backing me up.

Example of Joe Want. He comes into Sportsman's Warehouse looking for a multitool. Swiss X-Spirit(good tool). A young punk is at the counter looking at otf benchmades and butterfly knives begins bragging that he is the bare knuckled champion of Alaska. He talks about how he is a master street fighter and knows filapino knifefighting and how tough he is. Joe moves around slowly around to near the guy and looks him up and down. Joe looks him in the eye, the kid breaks his glance, and Joe let's drop, " I could kick you ass right now and I am 79. The kid left... "

Last edited by kaboku68; 07/31/19.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Not to take away from Phil, but given my one time experience hunting brown bear up there I would suggest that there are many "Phil's".

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 15 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,489
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.