Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TenX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I need a little more tension on the case head in a pre 64 Model 70. I've bent the tail of the extractor some and it did help a little. I tried adjusting the ears on the extractor collar but the tightening caused the extractor to drag on the bolt lug. What else do I need to do? Should I give a claw a whack?

If I have the bolt out of the receiver and put a case up under the extractor, it will fall out fairly easily on its own..
Thanks
Phil

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TenX

I need a little more tension on the case head in a pre 64 Model 70. I've bent the tail of the extractor some and it did help a little. I tried adjusting the ears on the extractor collar but the tightening caused the extractor to drag on the bolt lug. What else do I need to do? Should I give a claw a whack?

If I have the bolt out of the receiver and put a case up under the extractor, it will fall out fairly easily on its own..
Thanks
Phil
If it falls out on its own, you'll probably need to replace the extractor. It's apparent the lip might be either worn or slightly damaged - because a round should take a bit of resistance to insert manually under the extractor.. Is your rifle a magnum or standard?

Last edited by Redneck; 07/29/19.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Like redneck said. If you have the bolt out of the rifle, the extractor should hold the cartridge in place. It should NOT fall out. You also need to be careful with the extractor. Ive seen them with a hairline crack that makes them useless. One particular rifle (270 fwt) i had worked great until i let a buddy shoot it. We switched out rifles and i was shooting his savage. I didnt notice he was throwing them in the chamber and forcing the extractor over the rim of the cartridge, until it was too late. A bad pre 64 extractor will also cause poor ejection. OP, Id be looking for a good original extractor, if it were my rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
TenX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Its a standard bolt face. Comparing the claw to others, I can see no difference. This morning, I fairly gently tapped the claw with a brass punch. It now holds the case with the bolt out of the rifle although not with the tension I would like.
Phil

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If a gentle tap with a brass punch helped perhaps another tap may help, if not then replacement may be the solution to the problem. The wear causing the problem may not be immediately visible by examination with the naked eye, could be in the tail that contacts the bolt as well as the claw or a combination of both.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If the extractor is dragging on the bolt lug, perhaps relieving this interference a bit (work on the "bad" extractor, not the bolt lug!) would allow the extractor to move in radially a bit more and hold the case a bit better?

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Not likely that the original extractor is ever going to function satisfactorily after all the bends, adjustments, whacks and other tweaks it’s been subjected to. I’d just get another on eBay before something else gets messed up.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
TenX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I got tired of messing it, bought a new one, Williams I think. It slide right on, cured the problem after a slight bend on the tail. Case head is now secure against the bolt face with about .006-.007 tension.
Thanks for the help
Phil

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Not likely that the original extractor is ever going to function satisfactorily after all the bends, adjustments, whacks and other tweaks it’s been subjected to. I’d just get another on eBay before something else gets messed up.

Thats the best answer^^^^. These things are spring steel and you can only go so far with them. Some develop a hairline crack (like i mentioned in the previous post), that you dont even know is there, but wonder why in the hell its not working right anymore. Sometimes its a big waste of time working on the original. I love the pre 64 model 70 extractor, i use them on my m1917's as well), but when they are bad, they are bad.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (160user, 16gage, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,814 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,304
Posts18,526,043
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.